Do you still believe in the Autistic Community & Culture

Page 11 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

senquin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2016, 9:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
There is one but it is in its toddler stage.
I do not see it expanding in the next few years because of the increasing anti Neurodivesity movement backlash.
Any concept of an autistic "culture" is a joke that'll fall apart. Why should we celebrate a disease that you say makes autistic people too weak to learn eye contact?

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 5:16 am

Some autistic people have written moving, dramatic accounts of immediately feeling "at home" among other autistics, having a natural sense of "belonging," and recognizing other autistics as "their own kind" of people (French, 1993; Williams, 1994; Cohen, 2006).

Jim Sinclair's words to describe the 1992 visit with Xenia Grant and Donna Williams during which Autism Network International was founded were "feeling that, after a life spent among aliens, I had met someone who came from the same planet as me." This "same planet" metaphor, along with metaphors about "speaking the same language" or "belonging to the same tribe," are very common descriptions used by autistic people who have had this experience of autistic space. One participant at the first Autreat in 1996 summed it up saying, "I feel as if I'm home, among my own people, for the first time. I never knew what this was until now."

For autistic people who have this kind of autistic-space experience, it is obviously a powerful and often life-changing experience. Therefore, the Autistic Culture does exist and it continues to grow and to develop:
http://dsq-sds.org/article/view/1075/1248

http://www.autscape.org/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 8:23 am

KenG wrote:
"feeling that, after a life spent among aliens, I had met someone who came from the same planet as me." This "same planet" metaphor, along with metaphors about "speaking the same language" or "belonging to the same tribe," are very common descriptions used by autistic people who have had this experience of autistic space. One participant at the first Autreat in 1996 summed it up saying, "I feel as if I'm home, among my own people, for the first time. I never knew what this was until now.

I've introduced my daughter to other autistic kids her age when she was 6. I don't know if it was a contrived situation of meeting in an unfamiliar surrounding but it came across like an episode of the TV series Babylon 5 where every child behaved like they came from a different planet, each doing their own thing. The irony of proposing an autistic culture is that each person is as different from one another as they are from NTs...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 1:05 pm

I do. It's just that I don't have the money or the time to go to all the different events. Having said that, I do believe in all the things that you do.