What should atheists do for Christmas?(atheists only please)

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

20 Dec 2010, 7:02 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
As for the question about what to do this holiday season, I suggest you buy the gift that multiplies everyone else's gifts (or resources) and finance somebody's abortion this year.

LOL!! :lol: :lol:

That being said, who cares? You can be as traditional or non-traditional as you want. If you really like Christmas, you can go all out, even using Christian imagery while doing so. (I doubt anybody would care if you decided to go all Hindu-y at some point in your decoration style) If you don't, then don't do anything. I think the typical answer though will be to celebrate Christmas in the normal way that most people do in your area, because most Christmas celebrations aren't *that* religious where it is difficult to remove significant theological content. Even further, a lot atheists do have religious family members who will insist on Christmas.



Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,520

20 Dec 2010, 7:30 pm

Be happy and make other people happy, because it has a counteractive, and even stronger effect than that of the poor weather.
I speculate this was the original purpose of the activity, or at least what happens now.



LKL
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,938

20 Dec 2010, 9:09 pm

wrt the OP: I think I'm more in agreement with Minchin than with Penn.

I do a small solstice celebration for myself - sort of a 'respect-for-the-order-of-the-universe' celebration - and I join the rest of my family (Catholic) to celebrate xmas. We started making donations in each other's names a few years back instead of buying presents, and it has made the holiday much more enjoyable. I love the lights and evergreens, but those aren't traditionally christian and I have no problem with appropriating them.



techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,702
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

20 Dec 2010, 11:06 pm

Make a big batch of FSM cookies!
Image


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 20 Dec 2010, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,702
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

20 Dec 2010, 11:15 pm

waltur wrote:
as an atheist, i xmas is f***ing awesome. as a militant asantist, i'm often misunderstood to be in opposition to xmas. nothing could be further from the truth. i believe that the tradition of gift-exchange is greatly educational and can help children learn, from a very young age, that other people are important, too.

it's also a great way to teach your children that people believe all sorts of stuff that isn't true, including the notion that there's a jolly old man flying around in the sky who rewards good works and punishes bad people. there are so many different sources for the traditional "christmas" stories, songs, and traditions, that it's also an excellent tool to teach your children just how easily a myth or legend can transform and be abducted by religion.

there's so much awesomeness in reality. i don't see a need to paint over it with magic.


and i really dgaf if anyone is offended by an asantist atheist celebrating xmas. if the lord thy santa has a problem with it, let him say so.

I actually posted a thread maybe a couple years ago where I suggested that atheists should think about organizing 'holidays' of sorts, days of reflection on human history or things to remind people of the meaning of certain things - the only one or two responses that came back were asking if I was high. From some of the sharper conservative theists that I have listened to and/or read, typically their biggest complaint is about the liquidation of old culture without replacing what was gutted. I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be done, aside from people perhaps forgetting that symbolism and public events (the pivots that society organizes around) mean a great deal to the underlying structure of things.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 82
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

21 Dec 2010, 8:56 am

Grin and bear it.

ruveyn



waltur
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 924
Location: california

22 Dec 2010, 1:31 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
waltur wrote:
as an atheist, i xmas is f***ing awesome. as a militant asantist, i'm often misunderstood to be in opposition to xmas. nothing could be further from the truth. i believe that the tradition of gift-exchange is greatly educational and can help children learn, from a very young age, that other people are important, too.

it's also a great way to teach your children that people believe all sorts of stuff that isn't true, including the notion that there's a jolly old man flying around in the sky who rewards good works and punishes bad people. there are so many different sources for the traditional "christmas" stories, songs, and traditions, that it's also an excellent tool to teach your children just how easily a myth or legend can transform and be abducted by religion.

there's so much awesomeness in reality. i don't see a need to paint over it with magic.


and i really dgaf if anyone is offended by an asantist atheist celebrating xmas. if the lord thy santa has a problem with it, let him say so.

I actually posted a thread maybe a couple years ago where I suggested that atheists should think about organizing 'holidays' of sorts, days of reflection on human history or things to remind people of the meaning of certain things - the only one or two responses that came back were asking if I was high. From some of the sharper conservative theists that I have listened to and/or read, typically their biggest complaint is about the liquidation of old culture without replacing what was gutted. I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be done, aside from people perhaps forgetting that symbolism and public events (the pivots that society organizes around) mean a great deal to the underlying structure of things.


fsm holiday treats ftw!

i don't think atheists need to organize new holidays. especially in america. christmas, st patrick's day, and easter aren't christian holidays here, no matter how much that cranky lady who always almost hits me in the crosswalk's bumper sticker says otherwise. st patrick's day is already a drinking holiday, as secular as newyear's. easter is about eating chocolate "eggs" laid by rabbits.... ('cause THAT's a good lesson to teach small children: "brown things that come out of the back of rabbits are yummy!") and christmas is only still vaguely christian because of the whole "christ" part of it. just replace him with a big red X and the problem is solved!

and that's how we'll win "the war on christmas." by coopting it. just like the christians did when they made it. we'll just nix the baby superman part. that part really didn't make sense anyways. we'll keep the tree (it's not like a christmas tree is at all christian, in origin, anyway.), we'll keep some of the carols (and turn the religious ones we like into instrumentals and commercial jingles), and the presents.

happy Xmas to all, especially jews! once xmas is completely stripped of it's ridiculous christian affiliation, there'll be no need for jews to christmasify hanukkah! they can just give each other xmas gifts for xmas and honor hanukkuh in less consumerist ways.


_________________
Waltur the Walrus Slayer,
Militant Asantist.
"BLASPHEMER!! !! !! !!" (according to AngelRho)


MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,160
Location: in an open field west of a white house

22 Dec 2010, 1:33 pm

tradition trumps religion in my case. We do what we've always done; gather the family, argue about shortcomings and swap presents. It's like everyone's birthday at once only with a pretty tree in the living room.



waltur
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 924
Location: california

22 Dec 2010, 2:24 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
It's like everyone's birthday at once only with a pretty tree in the living room.



that's the smartest thing i've ever heard said about christmas.


_________________
Waltur the Walrus Slayer,
Militant Asantist.
"BLASPHEMER!! !! !! !!" (according to AngelRho)


pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,629

23 Dec 2010, 1:03 pm

Here is the Tim Minchin song:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q[/youtube]



Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,321
Location: Beyond the Void

23 Dec 2010, 1:18 pm

Festivus for the Rest of Us



Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,327
Location: Montreal

23 Dec 2010, 4:47 pm

I don't have a problem with Christmas as I view it as a cultural phenomena rather than a religious holiday. Honestly, December 25th is not really Jesus' birthday. And even if it were just religious I wouldn't care; I still buy my family and friends presents



Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,016

23 Dec 2010, 4:49 pm

There's actually a parody book called The Atheist's Guide to Christmas which sets out to deal with this issue. I haven't read it myself but it's meant to be pretty funny.



Sand
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Age: 93
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,876
Location: Finland

23 Dec 2010, 11:16 pm

The traditions of Christmas are great fun and no sense letting religion intrude on having a wonderful time.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 82
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

24 Dec 2010, 1:15 am

Sand wrote:
The traditions of Christmas are great fun and no sense letting religion intrude on having a wonderful time.


the Scandinavians have their yule and their glueg to ward off seasonal affect disorder. Yingle, yingle.

ruveyn