Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2005, 6:59 am

I've noticed that many people with Asperger's seem to have animal empathy and don't want animals to be mistreated...

Virtually every Asperg I've met... including ones viciously opposed to the mainstream animal rights movement love animals...

They all seem to own pets (usually cats and dogs) and treat them with a great deal of respect...

That said... I have a genocidal hatred of squirrels... they're everywhere in Canadian suburbs and seem to do nothing all day except torment dogs and eat vegetable gardens...

JennieRichee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2005, 7:38 am

Oh, tell me about it, I've just started reading Temple Grandin's stuff again. I find it a very interesting phenomenon. Any theories why this is though?

Also, I think this is the first time I've heard the word "Asperg" used. Neato. Was it intentional? :)

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2005, 10:24 am

i love most animals, but am all for the genocide of slugs, ants and flies - can anyone tell me what the POINT of flies is?

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2005, 11:09 am

Quote:
I've noticed that many people with Asperger's seem to have animal empathy and don't want animals to be mistreated...

I love animals. I find it easier to empathize with animals than humans. They are accepting, kind, and simple to understand. I can also be with them without having to speak or do something trivial.

Quote:
That said... I have a genocidal hatred of squirrels... they're everywhere in Canadian suburbs and seem to do nothing all day except torment dogs and eat vegetable gardens...

I feel for you, here, feste-fenris. We have a literal squirrel invasion on our campus here in RI. We can't even throw out our trash, at times, because they're all in or ontop of the bins. The worst part is, some people left the window to the laundry room open, and several squirrels have taken up residence there. Squirrel droppings in a washing machine is just unacceptable!

And the smell... ugh...

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2005, 11:34 am

I spoil my cat rotten. my dad and little sister harbour an "animal collection" (2 pygmy goats, dog and 2 FERTILE cats that make all kinds of little ones.
that they just want to show off. I am pissed at them for keeping them and I am often the one that has to take care of them. I am very strict about having only an amount of animals that I can properly take care of.
There is a siamese male and a himalyan female that come togther to make little ones. The mother is constantly knocked up and one time all the hair on her face turned from dark to grey. I think she was stressed out because she was having kittens all the time. When I threatened to have her fixed, my sister ragged me out and said something about needing the money from kittens. I take care of these animals and she is going to college. I think now that I AM going to have the mother fixed. It's killing me to see her stressed out like that. My sister and dad don't give a crap, all they see is money.

If there's any animals I hate, it's got to be squirrels and mice. They get into my snowmobiles and make nests in the exhausts, fanshrouds and anywhere else they can fit into. On the other hand, I get a kick out of those huge grey squirrels. Thse things are FAT! We just have the red ones around here but Fredericton NB, is just loaded with them.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2005, 1:51 pm

Clearly, I agree . . . I find non-human animals to be much easier to understand and much less likely to do unusual things that make no sence . . . for example, people are always amazed that one of the things that I most want to do is go cage diving with sharks - they say it is dangerous - even suicidal (I have a big death wish, so I can't argue anything along those lines and sound even faintly normal) but to me it isn't dangerous at all because animals are inherently predictable - you know what makes an animal do what he will do - humans on the other hand - I'd vastly prefer to be cage diving than at a party . . .

As for the animal rights movement - I dislike the movement itself, but I agree with its goals - I am a vegan, but I got out of the mainstream animal rights movement years ago . . . their tatics have just gotten out of hand . . .

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2005, 2:13 pm

I love some animals, but I am scared of dogs and horses. I especially love cats, and I have a cat, who I love very much.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2005, 4:47 pm

The reason for this is we see the world through different eyes.

I believe that Humans are perfectly capeable of standing up for themselves.

Animals on the other hand are often too small or don't understand to do so.

macvincent
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2005, 5:48 pm

I love cats, too. Some rodents are okay. But I think a genocide of all insects, especially flies, should be in order.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2005, 7:07 pm

Much as I hate flies, they are devourers of 'off' material such as dead flesh and faeces, sure, this makes them 'filthy' but it gets rid of the uh mess. I think just keeping the fly numbers down genetically might be a good thing. There are just so many bloody varieties of flies too...ugh. each one with it's own annoying characteristic.

I own a pampered whippet, and would rather spend time with animals than people. I've had a rather pet-deprived life having to live in cheap flats, but now I have a small house so I've finally got a dog of my own!

PP

JennieRichee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2005, 7:53 pm

I love animals, but I can't stand people who treat their pets like humans.
I used to know one especially stupid woman who would constantly say gooey things to her dog, like "does shnooky-wooky want a haircut?"
One day I noticed that the dog was limping and pointed it out to her. When she took the dog to the vet it turned out to have a fractured hip, and must have been in alot of pain.
She just didn't notice because the animal didn't whine and moan about it the way that she would. :(

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2005, 8:04 pm

vetivert wrote:
i love most animals, but am all for the genocide of slugs, ants and flies - can anyone tell me what the POINT of flies is?

There's a Jewish saying that God made the mosquitos so we wouldn't speak ill of the flies; it doesn't say why he made the flies though. They're rather fun to watch, sometimes. I don't like any of these animals inside the house, but outside I'm fine with them.

Oh yeah, and I'm very fond of animals.

blondie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2005, 8:23 pm

Me Too!! 8) :wink: :P

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2005, 7:49 am

How come when extinction occurs it's always of something cool like a Tasmanian Wolf and never something that deserves it like houseflies...

I don't think there's enough insecticide on the planet to cause a housefly extinction...

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2005, 5:23 pm

I have a cat and a dog, and I spoil them rotten. I've been thinking about getting an igauna. And I don't like insects. Does anyone think the noise flys make when they flying around is annoying?

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 4:33 am

I can't even kill flies (unless I'm in an angry mood) I always get the thought that they eat the crap everything else leaves behind, so they're the garbage collectors, and I love them for it!

I definately love animals, spent my life wanting to be a zoologist and studied it like mad, that transferred to obsession with people, then into music. But still my love for all things great and small remains...

Especially my ferret! He's dead now, but he was the most hilarious, crazy, angry little beast I've ever had the fortune of spending 6 years with. I will be getting a female one soon!