Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2010, 4:46 pm

NOTE: I own all items I wish to download. According to US copyright law, I am allowed to download that which I already own.

So here's the thing. Several PRIDE FC DVDs I own are kinda busted because the case design on the Legacy box sets is beyond crappy. Therefore I would like to download the DVDs but would prefer to not get a virus on my computer. Can anyone help me out on this?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 5:11 pm

You can be tracked pretty easily through a P2P network. Use this (clicky clicky) and the job becomes much harder.

As for viruses, just scan the files before opening them and make sure your account isn't an admin.

I should note, though, that AFAIK, it is still illegal to download pirate copies of DVDs even if you own them, so I don't condone those actions, this information if for educational purposes only, and blah blah blah.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2010, 5:29 pm

It's just a big jumble of contradictions. As it stands, I'm gonna be out at least $20 getting my DVDs fixed in those disc cleaning machines (they do work, they're just flipping expensive). Someone delete this; I was led to believe it was legal, but I can't find a straight answer, and better safe than sorry. Thanks for the help anyway Asp-Z.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 5:33 pm

If you ask me, it's only illegal if you get caught, and I've just told you how to avoid that... ;)

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Dec 2010, 7:02 am

For what you intend to o it is perfectly legal.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 10:51 am

If they have comments for the files read the comments. Alot of time if the file(s) are infected with a virus someone will post in the comments. also another hint watch the file size.

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2010, 6:03 pm

Heh, just turn encryption on. As far as clients go, I suggest uTorrent or Vuze.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 2:26 am

Use an IP blocker like PeerBlock or MoBlock to reduce your chances of getting caught.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 5:37 pm

Very simple really, if as you say you are not breaking the law then you dont need a peer blocker, as for virus's, thats dead simple. Download a free copy lof linux mint, set up a dual boot system (very easy). Use linux to do the torrent work, and burning. VOILA new cd/dvd and no chance of a virus. You will now have the added ability to get to all your windows files when in inevitably crashes 8)

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 6:11 pm

http://freenetproject.org/

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 6:43 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Very simple really, if as you say you are not breaking the law then you dont need a peer blocker, as for virus's, thats dead simple. Download a free copy lof linux mint, set up a dual boot system (very easy). Use linux to do the torrent work, and burning. VOILA new cd/dvd and no chance of a virus. You will now have the added ability to get to all your windows files when in inevitably crashes 8)

Incorrect, Dent. If you download a file that has a virus or other malware inside it, it does not matter if you download from within GNU/Linux if you eventually have that file open in Windows. It is still potentially dangerous.

Solution: only use GNU/Linux or some other UNIX variant. :P

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 2:03 am

Orwell wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Incorrect, Dent. If you download a file that has a virus or other malware inside it, it does not matter if you download from within GNU/Linux if you eventually have that file open in Windows. It is still potentially dangerous.

Solution: only use GNU/Linux or some other UNIX variant. :P

Except the OP is not talking about downloading stuff for use in windows he is discussing a safe way to donwload and burn a replacement to lost media, so :P :P to you too :lol:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 2:15 am

Well, if he also does the burning from GNU/Linux you might have a point. But if he ever opens the files in Windows (say in a burning program) then the risk is still there.