Feedback on my OKCupid profile

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 1:10 pm

Guys, but especially girls here, going off another recent thread, I too would really appreciate feedback on my OKCupid profile. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

My name is Brianrunsten, 26, Kansas City

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 1:26 pm

It could perhaps help if you posted a link to it?

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 1:33 pm

It seems OK, I'd pare down the social issues in the first things people notice about me and clean up the self-summary. It seems a little verbose to me.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 2:09 pm

Just an opinion here - but you are never going to find what you are looking for on OKCupid.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 2:10 pm

Your profile is alright, but as others have commented, it has a bit too much detail. You want to leave something to talk about over coffee, after all. For instance, I'd cut the bit about when you graduated; no one cares that much at this point. Just say you have a BA in (major) from (alma mater) and then continue with your experiences as a film-maker. Otherwise, it's an interesting profile. Best of luck.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 4:06 pm

Very impressive compared to some I have read where they just seemed like plain bragging. Yours has a lot of substance and shows off more your skills than "Hey I did this and this". Best of luck to you.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 10:28 pm

Like others have said, I think you go into a bit too much detail. From your profile, you seem really passionate about your work, and like you'd be interesting to talk to, with good stories to tell. But it also seems like you're filming 24/7, and I wonder from your profile if you'd have time for a romantic relationship. If you do have time, then you might want to make more mentions in your profile about how other people fit into your life, or maybe the sort of things you'd like to do with a potential date/romantic partner.

Just one woman's 2 cents.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 11:06 pm

pschristmas wrote:
You want to leave something to talk about over coffee, after all.

If you have nothing else to talk about over coffee after writing a dating profile, then I don't think you have any business being in the dating world.

I thought your profile was fun to read, but if you're nowhere as fun in person as you are in writing then you're in for a disappointment.

inconelx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2011, 4:01 pm

Id be interested if someone would look over my profile as well.(feel free to suggest edits too)

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/waspaloy/

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 5:04 pm

Brianruns10:
I'd take out all the stuff about your "rich and eventful life" in your self-summary. It's already clear that you're passionate about filmmaking, and those details can be mentioned if anybody asks about your experiences as a filmmaker. It's good to have enough information about yourself to be able to initiate a conversation, but leave enough unsaid to be able to continue the conversation.

inconelx:
"No real clear direction in life" in the self-summary and "if i do one thing for too long i get bored" are red flags for anybody looking for long-term dating.

Also I wouldn't use the word "scary" to describe your knowledge in the "First things people usually notice about me" section. Anything related to fear and specifically your evoking of it should be avoided in a personal profile!

"I was actually banned from the school library in grade school for neglecting my other studies" could make people wonder, "would he neglect our relationship??"

Lastly, I think it would help if you indicated more about who you are as a person. You mentioned "smart, witty, and a bit crazy" at the very end, but what else? patient? considerate? open-minded? adventurous? humorous?

inconelx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2011, 5:40 pm

Ok thanks, I fixed it

Ulinov
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Mar 2011, 1:39 pm

Hi there. I came across this board while trying to find feedback on my own OKCupid profile. I'll send messages to people, they'll view my profile and then...nothing. You guys seem to have been helpful to the other two folks that asked for advice here so I figured why not drop a message with my own profile for feedback.

My username is Ulinov on OKCupid (/profile/ulinov). It would not let me post a link.

I admit that I don't have the most exciting of lives, or even all that many hobbies but would like to meet some new people, try new things and overall expand my hobbies, interests, and to an extent my social skills. I am a really shy person and have difficulty talking to people in person. So what I'm really looking for from this profile is not just a serious relationship, but just people to be friends with, hang out with, try new things, and if a relationship comes out of it then all the better. I think I am just having difficulty conveying that message and have no idea how to best word it.

Thanks in advance for your help!