Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 12:13 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
Then I get so angry and start yelling out profanity. Is getting angry and yelling out profanity part of aspergers?

No

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 1:42 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
luvsterriers wrote:
Then I get so angry and start yelling out profanity. Is getting angry and yelling out profanity part of aspergers?

No

Then it's probably just a personality thing or part of being LD. I don't know.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 2:57 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
Well when I was given the task I did try to figure it out for over an hour then I emailed the ignorant person that I'm stuck and he refused to help me. How can one man ruin my life? How can I let him control my life? He has made me hate life and hate my job so much. I come to find out that the meanest people have tons of friends (that's according to their facebook page) I am shocked as to who wants to be friends with someone who is cruel to people especially towards disabled. I don't think that this situation is about aspergers but mostly learning disability. I have a hard time with reading comprehension. I remember my previous supervisor telling me if I have any questions that I shouldn't be afraid to ask someone. Mom even told me co workers should help each other out. Mom has been doing retail for over 20 years. Perhaps I should do simple things. File documents, scan documents, make copies, etc. Very low paying job as a receptionist. I don't know anymore.

Here's what went wrong: you emailed the wrong person for help. The person who is responsible for training you in new procedures is your supervisor. He may do this training himself. He may delegate it to other employees. But he's the one you should go to if you need help with a new procedure. Another contractor has no responsibility to train you (unless his own supervisor assigns him that task) and it made him angry that you tried to give him that responsibility.

Imagine if you went to the store to buy something and the store had just bought all new cash registers that some of the employees hadn't fully learned how to use. You go up to the counter to pay for your purchase and the cashier says, "I can't ring this up until you show me how to use this new register". You wouldn't be very happy with her at all. What she should have done is called her supervisor over to show her how to ring up your purchase. That is analogous to what happened here.

There is nothing wrong with needing help with new procedures. I need help with new procedures at work too. But I ask for that help from my own supervisor, not a customer or somebody from another department. You should ask your supervisor for some training in this new procedure. He's the appropriate person to train you or delegate somebody else to train you.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 7:58 pm

Well Jonathan is the person that mainly gives me the tasks to do. He is the Dept of Justice employee. He is the one that I have to email about vacation requests. He has to approve of it, then once he approves I then send a leave request to my own supervisor within my company. I dont get pay checks from Dept of Justice because I am not a Federal Govt employee. I'm a contractor. Jonathan emailed me the task to do. When he gives me tasks to do and I don't understand it I go to him.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2010, 11:38 pm

Getting angry and yelling profanity is bad behavior no matter who you are.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 2:48 am

luvsterriers wrote:
I just wonder do contractors who work with Fed Goverment get any disability rights? Is aspergers covered under ADA? Anyone else have dealt with ignorant co workers?

Your access to benefits is determined by your direct employer, the company that sends your paychecks. Legally, you work for them, not the government.

Normally, in this situation, the government has a contract for X employees of Z skill set to be provided by company A. If they do not feel the employees assigned are providing Z skill set, they can ask company A to swap out for someone who does. Company A must follow all the rules and protections for you as someone disabled, but the government in this case may not have to (on that, I actually do not know, but I'm envisioning me going to a hairdresser and being given someone who is blind to cut my hair ... sorry, I don't have to accept that). All they care about is the delivery of X and Z.

But ... you've noted you are not happy in this job. In that case, I strongly recommend you start looking for a new situation. The best time to find a job is while you have a job. You have the luxury of being picky, because your bills are being paid. So use this experience to decide what you want in a work situation, and start trying to find a work situation that gives you want you want.

kostopsykologi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2011, 9:42 am

luvsterriers wrote:
MidlifeAspie wrote:
luvsterriers wrote:

No

Then it's probably just a personality thing or part of being LD. I don't know.

No.

it's part of being human. A great many humans - autistic or not - do that. The fact that it might come out in people on the autistic and LD spectra may have to do with difficulties in engaging the sorts of psychological processes that enable most other people to 'bite their tongues', as it were. These thinking skills can be learned but it does take some conscious effort on the part of people like us.

About the comment, though - oh, yes, it was very bloody arrogant. If I'd been the guy's boss and had heard him say it to you, he'd have been out of the building with a serious-big boot up his arse.