Am I weird for listening to music differently ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

slaparoundmypeers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2010, 7:23 pm

Okay, most of my music that I have is all sorts of different genres. I chose them because I listen and hear music differently that NT's will never understand. I not sure if I can explain it. I can only say that I use my imagination for my music. I usually choose songs based on the melody and if it sparks me in a weird way. I was wondering if this is some weird thing that I do or if anyone else on hear listens to music the way I do. I hear a song play on the radio and can't help but ask every person in the room what the tittle/ artist of the song is. They find it annoying and usually tell me to shut up so they can listen to it. I found most of songs that's on my playlist by youtube or by searching by a lyric that I can remember from that song. The reason that I ask people about the song on the radio that sparks me is because I wanted to know if they had heard it or know anything about it. This lost me more friends than I can count. So Am i weird? or is it an asperger's thing?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 7:27 pm

Are you weird, or is it Asperger's? They aren't exactly mutually exclusive. And why would you want to be normal, especially with regards to music? Have you heard some of the crap people listen to?

slaparoundmypeers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2010, 10:13 pm

Mindslave wrote:
Are you weird, or is it Asperger's? They aren't exactly mutually exclusive. And why would you want to be normal, especially with regards to music? Have you heard some of the crap people listen to?
I'm started to rethink registration on this site. Maybe it was a bad idea. what's the point when I'm only going to post stupid things.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 1:39 am

slaparoundmypeers wrote:
I'm started to rethink registration on this site. Maybe it was a bad idea. what's the point when I'm only going to post stupid things.

don't be discouraged. you are among friends. there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. what you ask has value. if your "friends" abandoned you just because you asked them a question they didn't understand, consider that they were never "friends" to begin with. just a thought.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 2:31 am

i see what you mean....

my thought process on songs I like are visual as well as auditory.

I hear the song and there is a little stage in my head where there is a play/skit to go along with the song.

For instance...I was listening to this song
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG0dNLjMA94[/youtube]

I picture a guy in a cage screaming to get out, then it switches to a grunge looking guy on stage with his band. They are playing the song to block out the screaming guy in the background so nobody can hear him. His guitar is producing m1's and a1's into the air climing stairs off the stage, probably get the stairs idea from the high pitchs climbing guitar.

AriNecromare1213
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Dec 2010, 7:12 am

slaparoundmypeers wrote:
Mindslave wrote:

You're description of the way you hear music is too vague, I can't tell if weird or not.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 10:59 am

I dunno if you're weird or not and it may or may not be an Asperger's related trait for you but one thing I'd recommend is getting a smart phone with Shazam on it or a similar application.

http://www.shazam.com/

And music kinda affects me similarly, it creates images of shifting planes and plateaus in my head where it's like the instruments are geographical in nature and different parts act as like hills or mountains or landmarks sticking out above the ground.

I'm not sure if it could be called synesthesia or not or it's just my way of taking in music...but yeah.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2010, 3:16 pm

slaparoundmypeers wrote:
I hear a song play on the radio and can't help but ask every person in the room what the tittle/ artist of the song is. They find it annoying and usually tell me to shut up so they can listen to it.

You should wait until the song finishes, then ask about it.

blabby wrote:
there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

There are lots of stupid questions, but that question wasn't. :)

The year is still young.

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2010, 2:33 pm

I'm the same way. There's no particular sort of music I like better.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 4:53 pm

Im not sure what the issue is.

The part where you describe going ape when a song comes on the radio and how you pester folks for information while theyre trying to listen, and loosing friends in the process- that IS rather odd to put it mildly.

But having ecclectic taste in music(liking a variety of stuff), and likeing stuff that inspires your visual imagination is what you're spose to do.

Its what they try to get you to do in music appreciation classes- listen to a piece of music and try to imagine a story around it.
In fact you might get into listening to some of the more pictorial pieces of classical music- Shaherazade, Pictures at a Exhibition, The Four Seasons, the 1812 Overture.

asprin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Dec 2010, 10:42 pm

dont be afraid to be different, you are not weird be yourself and stop caring what other people label you

WintersTale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2010, 3:22 pm

I view music as escapism. If someone is singing about something that everyone else is talking about, it's not necessarily escapism.

I can enjoy it, but I don't enjoy it as much as the fantasy stuff.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 10:22 pm

slaparoundmypeers wrote:
Okay, most of my music that I have is all sorts of different genres. I chose them because I listen and hear music differently that NT's will never understand. I not sure if I can explain it. I can only say that I use my imagination for my music. I usually choose songs based on the melody and if it sparks me in a weird way. I was wondering if this is some weird thing that I do or if anyone else on hear listens to music the way I do. I hear a song play on the radio and can't help but ask every person in the room what the tittle/ artist of the song is. They find it annoying and usually tell me to shut up so they can listen to it. I found most of songs that's on my playlist by youtube or by searching by a lyric that I can remember from that song. The reason that I ask people about the song on the radio that sparks me is because I wanted to know if they had heard it or know anything about it. This lost me more friends than I can count. So Am i weird? or is it an asperger's thing?

I'm wondering if this has more to do with this younger generation of music listeners than it has to do with being "weird" or having AS.

I'm fifty now, but when I was your age, I did EXACTLY the same thing you do. If a song captured my imagination I ALWAYS wanted to know what it was called, who did it, who was in the band, and whether or not any of them were from other bands I knew, or played on any albums I already owned.

The interesting difference between your experience and mine is that although my curiosity turned a lot of people off, it also put me in touch with a ton of people who shared the same curiosity for music as I had. I ended up MAKING friends. I would even call the radio stations and grill the DJ's to get answers.

I've been of the opinion lately that as time has passed since I was your age, less and less people give a crap who plays what and with whom. People in general just don't seem to care anything about the actual PEOPLE behind the music anymore.

I don't think it's you. I think it's THEM!

They just don't give a crap anymore!

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 5:55 pm

That shouldn't make you weird, and besides, who cares?

Enjoy music in whatever way it pleases you most. That's what music is for. 8)

slaparoundmypeers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jan 2011, 2:23 am

I do the visual imagination when I hear certain songs with the right melody. I'ts just weird how the melody from certain songs just spark my imagination.