Sharing an apartment or living alone - What works for you?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 10:02 am

I prefer to live alone...less hassle.

But I'd be open to living with others if we were moderately compatible...especially if it saved me a lot of money on rent/utilities.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 10:48 am

I prefer to live alone but when I was single I had no choice but to live with a roommate. It was just all about the economics. It helps if you are compatible as it cuts down the arguments but finding the PERFECT fit is hard. If you have the lease then you can have a list of questions in regards to compatibility and set down some house rules. But, even with all of that conflict can sometimes still occur.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 11:09 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
I like living alone myself. I have tried the housemate thing and it did NOT work out and mainly because I met these people via newspaper ads. We were just a bad combo too.

Never the less it ruined things for me. So I live alone.

I grew up in a household where there was a lot of yelling and put downs. I moved out because I got sick of that behavior and wanted to get away from it only to find that I ran right into it again. Only the yelling was clueless frustration, OCD, and problems of their own.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 5:26 pm

I'm living with roommates and I think it depends on what kind of person they are. Right now I like it because they are respectful to me and I hang out with one of them occasionally and we all get along pretty well. I've had other roommates before them that would seem to talk down on me and it was hard to avoid them since we lived in the same apartment. Then I had one roommate last year that stole things from our apartment, but she was eventually evicted. In those cases I think I would rather live on m own, but right now I would rather be with the roommates that I have now because I would feel a little uneasy living alone.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 11:45 am

I did what I could to avoid the roommate who got upset all the time because they would just get me upset. They had also managed to cut me down about how I was a misfit.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 8:27 pm

I've had roommates in the past. They all didn't turn out so well, though.

One guy told me to move out because his cousin from Poland was coming and needed the room (in 3 days).

One sold the house and I had to leave (again in just 3 days).

I had roommates in Nashville but they turned out to be ripping me off. I was paying most of the rent but didn't find out till later. I moved out so I won't get into a fight.

I would love a good roommate, though. I would have company, someone to talk to, maybe even go to the movies or restaurants with, and help pay the bills. It's just that I don't trust people like I used to when I was younger. Those days are over. I'll just stay by myself. Less stress that way.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 8:44 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I've had roommates in the past. They all didn't turn out so well, though.

One guy told me to move out because his cousin from Poland was coming and needed the room (in 3 days).

One sold the house and I had to leave (again in just 3 days).

I had roommates in Nashville but they turned out to be ripping me off. I was paying most of the rent but didn't find out till later. I moved out so I won't get into a fight.

I would love a good roommate, though. I would have company, someone to talk to, maybe even go to the movies or restaurants with, and help pay the bills. It's just that I don't trust people like I used to when I was younger. Those days are over. I'll just stay by myself. Less stress that way.

To avoid issues like these I would make up a roommate contract which details things like giving notice when severing the agreement and things like that.