The Future of MMORPGs-Virtual Reality

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 7:49 pm

Came across something interesting this guy on a forum said. He talks about the pros and cons of a Virtual Reality MMORPG. I personally think that this approach towards making MMORPGS will trigger a revolution in how games are made in the far or possible-near future.

quote "When you play your favorite MMORPG, do you look and wish you it could ever be real? Wouldn't it be wonderful to live 2 different lives? There will be so much possibilities that you can think of. The idea of Virtual Reality now comes to hand with many scientists.

The mind is a wonderous thing. It enables you to "feel" everything around you. It allows freedom of your body to learn. If you touch fire, it burns, it hurts, your mind tells you to pull away. Let's think about it differently - You touch fire, it burns, it's SUPPOSED to hurt, your mind tells you it doesn't hurt so you don't feel anything. The ability to alter our mind's thoughts are what scientists are working on now. To be able to make your mind BELIEVE it is in a different situation than it is right now is what makes the word Virtual Reality so special.

So you're thinking: What has all this got to do with MMORPGs? Well for one thing, in Virtual Reality, it is as what it says - based on reality in a different form or universe. What is reality? Reality is you, the world, and other "you's"(people and animals). Thus we can say that in Virtual Reality, you would be viewing a different world in a first-person-view. MMORPGs are based on a one-person-view, thus it is Virtual Reality in itself.

But when we think of the many wondrous possibilities of Virtual Reality, we think abouts its cons too. When you get hit or stabbed in Virtual Reality, your mind tells you that this hurts, and you feel pain. When you are stabbed to DEATH in Virtual Reality, your mind tells you that you are supposed to be dead. But you're not. What happens? In theory, you would be brain-dead. Your mind just stops working because it thinks it is dead, it thinks YOU are dead.

When we look at the future of MMORPGs, we think Virtual Reality. We dream about being able to lead another life where you are the boss and control everything. In real life, you are influenced by everyone else. In Virtual Reality, you get to choose your paths and if you think something is wrong, you change it. So is this considered Virtual Reality if you can change your life?

The questions are endless, but I'll stop at this point and leave most of you thinking about what the world can bring us - both good and bad.

Source: http://www.astahost.com/info.php/fut...pgs_t7595.html

What are your opinions on Virtual Reality MMORPGS?"

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2010, 12:45 am

I have given a great deal of thought to Virtual Reality I never thought aobut MMORPG's, but that sounds like a good direction. I once wrote a play for Virtual Reality, like a screenplay, but a story that is told by your interaction with the virtual environment. I find the topic fascinating, and it will be interesting to see how Virtual Reality changes the world once it is truly introduced into the world.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2010, 1:25 am

That's kinda scary to me actually, especially being brain dead from a game. What if no one is there to revive you?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 1:39 am

well we have no idea if that will actually happen all anyone has until it happens is presumption but I for one am quite excited for when it happens, my friend Drew thinks that with the way technology is advancing its only a mere 10-20 years away

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 3:55 am

I don't think it would be wonderful at all.

I played WoW for all of nine months and I still have trouble distinguishing which memories came from real life and which came form WoW. I'll have an image in my head of talking with someone on some fishing pier on a lake, and I'll be trying to remember when and where that was, and then I'll suddenly realize "Wait a minute! That was somewhere in the Eastern Kingdoms, not the real world."

It keeps calling me and it's kind of scary, actually.

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2010, 3:14 pm

The future of MMORPGs will actually be beneficial to the water industry, since more people will forget to bathe while playing them. :lol:

HKYNKG
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2011, 6:16 pm

i have a idea for a concol called the s.f.t See Feel Tuch and anyone who has a skype and wants to talk to me about it let me know

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 11:09 pm

Look at what microsoft is doing with the Kinect platform. Once it becomes part of the PC market the MMO's will be switching to it.