manhole covers, sewer caps, drains, etc

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 3:43 pm

Any of you all ever notice these while walking down city streets? Some are rather boring, but others can be rather interestingly styled. Some cities even go as far as decorating them for a particular neighborhood! Manhole covers can be sort of like coins, although obviously much larger and heavier

In Washington DC, they were having problems with the deteriorated electrical wiring in the manholes sparking, and igniting sewer gas. It is all too frequent occurance there to have explosions underground that send manhole covers flying! I loathe the Northern VA/DC area with a passion, and I wish I would stay out of there if it wasn't for the fact that my job winds up putting me up there more than my choosing!

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 5:28 pm

I've read about Columbia having massive problems with those. People steal them and sell them off for scrap. Then kids start falling in and drowning, which is when it gets significantly less funny. I really wish an adult had drowned instead; it would make the whole thing easier to laugh at.

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2006, 5:40 pm

They should bolt them down, and use bolts that require a key to remove. The same principle as wheel locks.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 7:15 pm

I've seen them in suburbs of Kansas city. They are locked down. There isn't just the possibility of stealing them for salvage. Some people just mess them up.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 9:21 pm

I used to notice them a lot when I was younger.. I also used to be obsessed with looking down drains.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 9:26 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
I also used to be obsessed with looking down drains.

I did that a lot too when i was younger, i still look down them when i pass but i don't look down them for a very long time anymore

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 1:02 pm

all manholes are round here with the letters ELSA (Ewing-Lawrence Sewege Autharity) with the diamond pattern like seen on fire truck steps. the catchbasins(storm water drains) are square with slots for the rain to go down and located on street on edge of curbs or at end of driveway and one on every corner. they aren't locked down because they are soo heavy that many people cannot remove them(it takes a backhoe to remove the slotted cover of the catchbasin with the manhole covers it requires only a tool that you need to use to get leverage to tip it up. i have never seen any manhole or catchbasin accidents accept if clogged or getting an internatal camera insoection. the tapes that the camera records many find boring but i kinda like spotting things the narrator missed and the diamond rings and money that people have dropped or lost down the storm water drains. the only thing that is locked or requires a special tool to get into is the connection between wather main and house it resembles a small manhole with a square drive bolt in middle and flush with sidewalk or near curb. that is only able to be accessed by the water works department . they are painted yellow.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 8:08 pm

I was also obsessed with peering down toilets when I was about 3.. what a weirdo

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 8:59 pm

my little brother thought it was fun to 'swim' in tolets at that age so its not that weird.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2006, 12:01 am

I dont notice manhole covers until I trip over them :x
The thing about manhole covers in my area is that they're really heavy and require a good crowbar and strong person to lift them off. There's lots of cockroaches(and I mean LOTS ) in the sewers so its not a wise idea to lift the covers yourself. You will flood the neighbourhood with cocky's otherwise :P .

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2006, 3:03 am

I always notice these things also. The majority around here are very very plain, but their are a few areas that are decorated to fit with some theme.

I also explore storm drains...so I have seen many manhole covers from underneat ;) and had to lift one up to get out..but that was an oddity..haha.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 11:11 am

Hmmm.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 2:00 pm

all the old manhole covers in my town are cast with the towns name on them,same with the grates for storm water and the catch basin grate housing also has the towns name cast into the steel. The new ones are concrete housings with plain metal grates.