Evidence for evolution of a key autism-linked gene

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DevilInside
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2010, 12:08 am

When i was reading about HAR (Human Accelerated Regions) on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_accelerated_regions, basically genetic regions that are normally conserved throughout vertebrate evolution but strongly changed in the human lineage, suggesting a strong selection pressure for these genes, i noticed that HAR31 (so one of the less significant regions but still significant enough), containted AUTS2, one of the mayor autism susceptibility regions. Some further research showed that the recently sequenced neanderthal genome did NOT have this gene as a HAR, rather the neanderthal genome had a gene copy (allele) much closer to the ancestral chimpanzee-human common ancestor version. So i think this sort of refutes any notion of neanderthal genetics causing autism (although all non-african populations evidently do have a few % neanderthal genes, an important example is 70% of brainsize regulating alleles having come from a neanderthal lineage in non-africans.). so what does this mean? it means that autism-like cognitive traits (most all HAR's are related to enhanced cognition) were selected for in our recent lineage, possibly only within the last 200.000 years (transition between fully modern brain volumes and fully modern intellectual behaviour?). according to a mendelian genetics database in the human lineage there is a section of AUTS2 which appears to have recently acquired almost 300 consecutive SNP's (single letter changes), suggesting a strong selective sweep. Anyone got any interesting interpretations of this?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 12:28 am

Looks like something has caused the region of the genome known as HAR to experience a lot of changes in the last 200,000 years...what that is we haven't discovered...

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 12:28 am

The presence of an autism causing gene may be present in modern humans and not human ancestors simply due to the fact that modern humans are better able to compensate for other short comings and so we are more likely to propagate genes which cause potentially negative effects.

In pre-modern times, carriers of such genes, who were also affected, were more likely to die before they were able to pass on the gene when it did arise.

But then again, it may be allelic with the genes associated with modern human brain size regulation and so on.

Most of those who have made significant contributions to mankind were only able to do so because they thought a little differently than the majority of mankind. These are the giants on who's shoulders we stand. Strangely enough, many of these individuals never had any known offspring.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 12:51 am

Chronos wrote:
The presence of an autism causing gene may be present in modern humans and not human ancestors simply due to the fact that modern humans are better able to compensate for other short comings and so we are more likely to propagate genes which cause potentially negative effects

Perhaps HAR1 through HAR49 are unstable and susceptable to change which could imply a certain sensitivity. This could make the region of the genome more vulnerable.

DevilInside
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2010, 1:06 am

Ana : there is not region called HAR, there are 49 ones. (all seem to be protein coding genes with an unusually high amino acid substitution rate), most HAR's are shared with neanderthals but this specific one related to AUTS2 (i presume in other mammals AUTS2 can cause autism too but is completely selected agains in most all cases) only appears to have undergone significant changes in our lineage.. also, an even more significant HAR is related to schizoprenia, which confirms another theory of mine that schizophrenia in its non-disordered form was positively selected for. Interestingly the brainsize regulation gene does not appear to have undergone as radical a change as you'd expect from what i've been reading. It seems that gene has been evolving steadily in the whole primate lineage (and of course, ever since the first mammals with their presumably small neocortex (shrews, desendants of the common ancestor of all placental mammals, have a very tiny cerebral cortex, even for their size (1 million neurons, 11mm² surface area, compare that to humans with their 200.000mm² surface area and over 20 billion neurons, even when adjusted for body size we outshine them by a decent factor.) so, maybe brain volume was important, but true modernity was caused by further reshaping of the brain (which continues to this this day, if you look at charts of human brain volumes, while the total average has gone down, there is still a trend towards exponential brain expansion the last 200.000 years (in charts, there is a steady increase until 200k years ago since 2 million years ago, then suddenly there is a sharp acceleration in volume expansion)
So in short, our brains are evolving like hell, although africans seem to be closer to ancestral cognitive abilities (touchy subject i know.)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 1:22 am

My theory is human accelerated region genes are highly succeptable to mutation meaning they are unstable and vulnerable which could explain autism, schizophrenia, etc. appearing in the human population.
I realize HAR is not a name but an acronym. HAR stands for Human Accelerated Region. :)
Fascinating area of study, DevilInside, thanks for posting about this! :)

DevilInside
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2010, 2:02 am

you would be correct, i skimmed the paper on HAR from 2006 and it did say these regions were highly mutatable, however since they are normally conserved these mutations have been selected against in other vertebrate lineage (remember vertebrates are an incredibly large monophyletic grouping, so we are definetely uniqe in some ways)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 2:05 am

That's the fascinating part, DevilInside. Why us?

DevilInside
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2010, 4:15 am

walking upright, descendance of our vocal chords + opposable thumbs and modification of the hands seem to have allowed for an unprecented evolution of genes related to brainsize and cognition, i mean primates in themselves are already different from other lineages in this respect, but whatever mutation caused us to start having a tendency to walk upright is most likely what happened around the split between our lineage and that of the chimp and lead us down this wonderful (and absurd) path. What's even more amazing is that the most significant part of that brainwise was from 2 million years ago until today, with an acceleration a few 100.000 years ago (neanderthals had larger cranial volumes, but perhaps a few less cognitive enhancements we now have.)

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 2:14 pm

DevilInside wrote:
When i was reading about HAR (Human Accelerated Regions) on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_accelerated_regions, basically genetic regions that are normally conserved throughout vertebrate evolution but strongly changed in the human lineage, suggesting a strong selection pressure for these genes, i noticed that HAR31 (so one of the less significant regions but still significant enough), containted AUTS2, one of the mayor autism susceptibility regions. Some further research showed that the recently sequenced neanderthal genome did NOT have this gene as a HAR, rather the neanderthal genome had a gene copy (allele) much closer to the ancestral chimpanzee-human common ancestor version. So i think this sort of refutes any notion of neanderthal genetics causing autism (although all non-african populations evidently do have a few % neanderthal genes, an important example is 70% of brainsize regulating alleles having come from a neanderthal lineage in non-africans.).

I don't follow your logic.
* Changes to AUTS2 is correlated to autism
* Neanderthals did not have the modern human AUTS2 allele, but a more ancestral form.

How does this prove that Neanderthals did not contribute to the autistic AUTS2 gene? In order to prove the point, we must match the Neanderthal AUTS2 with the autistic AUTS2, which nobody have done AFAIK. It could very well be that autistic AUTS2 is the ancestral state.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 4:51 pm

DevilInside wrote:
walking upright, descendance of our vocal chords + opposable thumbs and modification of the hands seem to have allowed for an unprecented evolution of genes related to brainsize and cognition, i mean primates in themselves are already different from other lineages in this respect, but whatever mutation caused us to start having a tendency to walk upright is most likely what happened around the split between our lineage and that of the chimp and lead us down this wonderful (and absurd) path. What's even more amazing is that the most significant part of that brainwise was from 2 million years ago until today, with an acceleration a few 100.000 years ago (neanderthals had larger cranial volumes, but perhaps a few less cognitive enhancements we now have.)
Maybe the neanderthals weren't mutating the way we do. One day, we might unlock the door that leads to answers to the many questions about the unique style of human evolution.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 5:39 pm

I was of the understanding, that "pressures" tend to reduce the sorts of genetic variability, which prevent birth defects, and am admittedly unclear, as to how autistic traits would be advantageous to survival.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 6:02 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
I was of the understanding, that "pressures" tend to reduce the sorts of genetic variability, which prevent birth defects, and am admittedly unclear, as to how autistic traits would be advantageous to survival.

I thought pressure meant the genes were pressured to rapid acceleration, meaning they are apt to form mutations for whatever reasons...

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 6:29 pm

An example, which made sense to me, was a giant shark taking a chomp out of a school of minnows. This instantly resulted in less genetic material, and the ones which got away were not necessarily more "fit," but may have simply escaped at random, through no special capability of their own.

You're discussing survivors with autistic genes.

In general, do their offspring seem to be outpacing the neurotypical in any observable way? If so, how?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 7:29 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
An example, which made sense to me, was a giant shark taking a chomp out of a school of minnows. This instantly resulted in less genetic material, and the ones which got away were not necessarily more "fit," but may have simply escaped at random, through no special capability of their own.

You're discussing survivors with autistic genes.

In general, do their offspring seem to be outpacing the neurotypical in any observable way? If so, how?

That's a good example of selection of genes through luck.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 8:51 pm

Respectfully, we don't look at a happy person, and ask whether he was feeling pressured.

IMHO, it's pressures, which drive species to extinction.

I appreciate that my worldview may not be what you were used to.