Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 1:06 am

This will be similar to Robert Bakker's Raptor Red in that it is set in the Mesozoic era and has dinosaurs for characters. The MC will be a male Tyrannosaurus rex who is growing up in Late Cretaceous Mexico. I'm currently working on the first scene, which is about his hatching. Does this sound interesting to you?

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 1:15 am

I'm not familiar with Bakker, but that does sound like an interesting story. Good luck with it!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Dec 2010, 4:56 am

BrandonSP wrote:
This will be similar to Robert Bakker's Raptor Red in that it is set in the Mesozoic era and has dinosaurs for characters. The MC will be a male Tyrannosaurus rex who is growing up in Late Cretaceous Mexico. I'm currently working on the first scene, which is about his hatching. Does this sound interesting to you?

Yes it sounds very interesting. I'm wondering how you'll handle it - seems to me that he should be in danger even as he hatches, sorta like King Arthur. Ratchet the tension high, I don't know how with dinosaurs. Or are you writing another kind of novel? I'm sorry but I haven't read the ones you mention.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 12:57 pm

First scene written, and yes, the protagonist does face danger in it---before he's hatched, actually.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 6:48 pm

Will it make paleontologists cry?

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 9:27 pm

I'll be honest: I'm losing enthusiasm for the project. The problem I have is that I don't know if an interesting plot can be created with an animal whose main goals in life are "eat, mate, and die". It seems that most of the scenes I can think up are repetitive action scenes in which my T. rex confronts some other animal or peril, and none of them are unified by any theme. Project aborted.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 3:07 am

I've never read Raptor Red, so I'm really not familiar with that novel. But your novel sounds fascinating.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 11:00 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
I'll be honest: I'm losing enthusiasm for the project. The problem I have is that I don't know if an interesting plot can be created with an animal whose main goals in life are "eat, mate, and die". It seems that most of the scenes I can think up are repetitive action scenes in which my T. rex confronts some other animal or peril, and none of them are unified by any theme. Project aborted.

I can sympathize with you. I've had a bunch of scrapped projects in my time.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 2:18 am

It's okay to dump a project you realize is going nowhere. But don't throw it away. I liked the sound of the beginning, in danger before hatching. Maybe what you have is a short story instead of a novel. Or maybe you could make these aliens..........