fight for truth: fight simon baron-cohen

Page 6 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 6:12 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Truth be told, anybody can define "autism" in whatever arbitrary fashion they wish, and it's up to the researcher to decide what s/he believes to be the core "necessary" feature of "autism." In SBC's world, he seems to regard "empathy" verses "systemizing" as what separates the autistic from the non-autistic.

Yes, exactly.

XFilesGeek wrote:
Personally, SBC has very little to do with me. I'm an artist, an English major, and a non-empathetic social ret*d in one big package.

Yes, it has very little to do with me as well, even if I have a scientific background. I prefer to use intuition over logic, and I hate abstract math.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 6:22 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
People think of it as an increase in logical thinking skills at the expense of others.

I think this is a misunderstanding of autism.

First, the problems with empathy is not based in lacking feelings or being psychopathic. It is based in the inability to interpret facial expressions and nonverbal communication. All of SBCs questions about empathy (that have any relevance) are based on this, not lacking empathy.

Second, logic comes in as a way to compensate for the inability to understand nonverbal communication, and instead learning the logic behind social rules. Some autistics have a good ability to use logic for this, and in the course of training, actually acquires superior logic to many other people. IOW, better logic is not a trait of autistics, it is a coping strategy. This is probably also why autistics score higher on SBCs systemizing test. At least mostly. Autistics do have a few adaptations in this area, but it is not logic and systemizing.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 6:38 am

Millstone wrote:
antonblock wrote:

Let's do something against this crap!
There is no crap to do "something" against. 2/3rds of autistic or AS people have an extreme-male brain. That doesn't sound like a claim I have any evidence against. Perhaps you fall into the remaining 1/3rd.

The crap is to take some male traits of ones own liking, while ignoring other male traits, and describing the whole thing as "extreme male", I've told SBC this several times, but he doesn't seem to be able to defend his position. A very good example of extreme male traits that autistics do NOT have is a tendency to form aliances with other males, to be overly concerned about their status and reputation, to enjoy team-sports, to enjoy the military, and many more traits. SBC cannot explain why autistics do not have those but only have the "systemizing" male traits. Unfortunately, many female Aspies fuel his misconception when they claim to be "more male". However, many Aspie males are less male in the respects female Aspies are more male. And, finally, both genders to the same extent agree that they are not gender-typical.

SBC could have investigated these things if he was concerned about science and the truth.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 6:46 am

AspergianSuperstar wrote:
Forexample where does talking too loudly fit into empathy? It just doesn't

No, it doesn't. This is a clear example of not being aware of how loud to talk. It fits into differences in nonverbal communication. Just as basically all the issues in the EQ-test. All the relevant items in the EQ-test cluster to the NT communication group in Aspie-quiz.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 6:57 am

Woodpecker wrote:
In the same way if the three scales of SBC are unable to give us an insight into the origin of autism it might be a shame and a disappointment to some people but it does not make the three scales any less valid as diagnostic tools.

The diagnosis is a "reasoning issue" on the DSM panel, and as such as no real validity outside of psychiatry. So if a test correlates well with criteria and/or diagnosed individuals, and has good selectivity, it can be called a valid test.

SBC have validated his test against diagnosed populations and a reference population, and the results look impressive. However, one needs to understand that his neurotypical control-group consists of extremely neurotypical individuals, and that such a sample cannot even be found on the Web. He does not include people with comorbid conditions like ADD/ADHD. If he did this, his test would fare pretty badly. I know since I've tried it on such a sample. That only 2% in the general population would score above his cutoff is pure fantasy.

And we also have to consider the result that his test have in relation to female Aspies, because they generally score lower on his tests because of SBC male bias.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 10:25 am

Regarding SBC's control group of NTs, I think he has been using the undergrad population at Cambridge for some of the work. I have seen one of his papers where he was using data from the undergrad population there.

One problem I see in his research was that when he did the research on the link between AQ, SQ and EQ scores to degree subject he rejected data for any student with a mental health problem. I think that he may have removed a large number of people with AS or other differences. This is becuase a comorbid condition may have removed them from the study. I think that a better study would have been to have included the data for these students in a seporate column. These students with mental health issues (eating disorders, depression, etc) maybe should be subdivided according to the class of their mental health problem.

I hold the view that it would be interesting to see if a depression diagnosis makes any difference to the average AQ, SQ, and EQ scores for a given population. This could allow the selectivity of the AQ, SQ and EQ tests for autism to be checked. The work could also be repeated with other conditions to allow us to know more about these three scales.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 1:05 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
By the way the blue/green anbuend painting looks good to me and I like that one. The red one is technically good but I like it less than the blue one. Has anbuend posted any more of her art on the web ?

The rest of my paintings are at this link. Be aware that I'm crappy at taking photos of them, so the colors may be changed, the depth and complexity of the backgrounds may be sort of "flattened" compared to how they look in real life, and I'm taking most of the photos at a weird angle to avoid getting flash-reflection on the paintings. I generally do around 2-4 a week, but it may take me time to photograph and upload them.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 6:21 am

The easy way to photograph art is to use a tripod, and not to use a flash. If you use a tripod then you do not need t worry about the camera shaking, just pin up the picture on the wall and then point the camera at it.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 11:21 am

rdos wrote:
Millstone wrote:
antonblock wrote:

Let's do something against this crap!
There is no crap to do "something" against. 2/3rds of autistic or AS people have an extreme-male brain. That doesn't sound like a claim I have any evidence against. Perhaps you fall into the remaining 1/3rd.

The crap is to take some male traits of ones own liking, while ignoring other male traits, and describing the whole thing as "extreme male", I've told SBC this several times, but he doesn't seem to be able to defend his position. A very good example of extreme male traits that autistics do NOT have is a tendency to form aliances with other males, to be overly concerned about their status and reputation, to enjoy team-sports, to enjoy the military, and many more traits. SBC cannot explain why autistics do not have those but only have the "systemizing" male traits. Unfortunately, many female Aspies fuel his misconception when they claim to be "more male". However, many Aspie males are less male in the respects female Aspies are more male. And, finally, both genders to the same extent agree that they are not gender-typical.

SBC could have investigated these things if he was concerned about science and the truth.

Excellent points.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2011, 2:36 am

Woodpecker wrote:
One problem I see in his research was that when he did the research on the link between AQ, SQ and EQ scores to degree subject he rejected data for any student with a mental health problem. I think that he may have removed a large number of people with AS or other differences. This is becuase a comorbid condition may have removed them from the study. I think that a better study would have been to have included the data for these students in a seporate column. These students with mental health issues (eating disorders, depression, etc) maybe should be subdivided according to the class of their mental health problem.

If he just studied links between them, it wouldn't matter a lot if he used Aspies, NTs or a mix. The result would be similar because even NTs have a few Aspie-traits that he cannot filter out with any kind of "mental condition" removal. I suppose he thought these traits did have a different background in NTs, but he is mistaken there (too).

Woodpecker wrote:
I hold the view that it would be interesting to see if a depression diagnosis makes any difference to the average AQ, SQ, and EQ scores for a given population. This could allow the selectivity of the AQ, SQ and EQ tests for autism to be checked. The work could also be repeated with other conditions to allow us to know more about these three scales.

I'm pretty sure that depression would increase scores considerably. This is because depression has a high correlation to core ASC-traits.

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2011, 9:19 am

What is truth in our society but the most popular perspective/perception?

Random commentary comprete! :o

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Jan 2011, 9:45 am

rdos wrote:
I'm pretty sure that depression would increase scores considerably. This is because depression has a high correlation to core ASC-traits.

Which traits?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 6:53 am

Verdandi wrote:
rdos wrote:

Which traits?

ASC (Autism Spectrum Condition) traits. Basically, depression has a high correlation with most neurodiversity-traits. It would also have a high correlation with AQ, EQ scores and diagnostic criteria.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Jan 2011, 7:02 am

rdos wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
rdos wrote:

Which traits?

ASC (Autism Spectrum Condition) traits. Basically, depression has a high correlation with most neurodiversity-traits. It would also have a high correlation with AQ, EQ scores and diagnostic criteria.

So really across the board?

I had no idea.

Any good ways to rule one out over the other?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 7:47 am

So would depression with perhaps ADD easily mimic an ASD ?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 3:35 pm

rdos wrote:
Second, logic comes in as a way to compensate for the inability to understand nonverbal communication, and instead learning the logic behind social rules. Some autistics have a good ability to use logic for this, and in the course of training, actually acquires superior logic to many other people. IOW, better logic is not a trait of autistics, it is a coping strategy. This is probably also why autistics score higher on SBCs systemizing test. At least mostly. Autistics do have a few adaptations in this area, but it is not logic and systemizing.

How do you know it's a "coping strategy"? It's certainly not universal, but it seems to be a common cognitive trait of even very young autistic people, among the autistic people who have it.

I am not such a person at all. But I know a lot of people who go by logic -- or at least what they and most people call logic -- and they've been doing it forever. Not everything about autism has to be related to bad social skills. Particular expressions of autism can involve particular thinking styles, including ones that use a whole lot of 'logic'.