fight for truth: fight simon baron-cohen

Page 6 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2011, 9:19 am

What is truth in our society but the most popular perspective/perception?

Random commentary comprete! :o

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Jan 2011, 9:45 am

rdos wrote:
I'm pretty sure that depression would increase scores considerably. This is because depression has a high correlation to core ASC-traits.

Which traits?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 6:53 am

Verdandi wrote:
rdos wrote:
I'm pretty sure that depression would increase scores considerably. This is because depression has a high correlation to core ASC-traits.

Which traits?

ASC (Autism Spectrum Condition) traits. Basically, depression has a high correlation with most neurodiversity-traits. It would also have a high correlation with AQ, EQ scores and diagnostic criteria.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Jan 2011, 7:02 am

rdos wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
rdos wrote:

Which traits?

ASC (Autism Spectrum Condition) traits. Basically, depression has a high correlation with most neurodiversity-traits. It would also have a high correlation with AQ, EQ scores and diagnostic criteria.

So really across the board?

I had no idea.

Any good ways to rule one out over the other?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 7:47 am

So would depression with perhaps ADD easily mimic an ASD ?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 3:35 pm

rdos wrote:
Second, logic comes in as a way to compensate for the inability to understand nonverbal communication, and instead learning the logic behind social rules. Some autistics have a good ability to use logic for this, and in the course of training, actually acquires superior logic to many other people. IOW, better logic is not a trait of autistics, it is a coping strategy. This is probably also why autistics score higher on SBCs systemizing test. At least mostly. Autistics do have a few adaptations in this area, but it is not logic and systemizing.

How do you know it's a "coping strategy"? It's certainly not universal, but it seems to be a common cognitive trait of even very young autistic people, among the autistic people who have it.

I am not such a person at all. But I know a lot of people who go by logic -- or at least what they and most people call logic -- and they've been doing it forever. Not everything about autism has to be related to bad social skills. Particular expressions of autism can involve particular thinking styles, including ones that use a whole lot of 'logic'.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 3:39 pm

rdos wrote:
AspergianSuperstar wrote:
Forexample where does talking too loudly fit into empathy? It just doesn't

No, it doesn't. This is a clear example of not being aware of how loud to talk. It fits into differences in nonverbal communication. Just as basically all the issues in the EQ-test. All the relevant items in the EQ-test cluster to the NT communication group in Aspie-quiz.

It's not necessarily an example of not being aware how loud to talk. I know a lot of people who talk loudly, and since I find that overloading I find myself frequently pointing it out to them. They tell me that they are aware of it, but that they have trouble controlling the volume of their voice. When they stop thinking explicitly about how to control it, the control goes away again and their voice gets louder. What it's often a clear example of, is the fact that many autistic people have trouble with physically controlling their bodies.