Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Hap
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2011, 5:38 am

SadAspy wrote:
Hap wrote:
[
(BTW: I am in the Netherlands, I guess it also depends on where you are how hard it is to find a job right now, although over here it is more difficult then it has been a couple of years ago, I giess in for example the US it is far worse...)

Guess that explains it....lol.

Indeed. Though it isn't easy over here either.

SadAspy wrote:
manBrain wrote:
Tip for Sad Aspy: if you suspect that you are "overqualified" for a particular job, e.g. manual or low wage job, simply omit your qualifications from your application. You can always ask the employer before you apply, what the desired educational level is for the applicant. Then, adjust your CV

A number of people tell me to do this and my counter-point is this: if I leave out education, they'll wonder what I was doing those years. Now granted I had a job in grad school, but it was at the school (I was a TA) so I can't put that on there without arousing suspicion.

There is another way, which I use myself. I don't know if you can use this, but some people could.

You do put the job (or education) on your cv, but you slightly change (never lie!) the job title and change the description. For example, I could write:
- Project coordinator
Planning and managing a research project, managing 3 secretaries. In this job I digitalized and streamlined the project, building and implementing a database, which enlarged the research capacity.
or this:
- Secretary to a research project
Answering phone calls, writing letters and emails, printing and distributing reports.

It just depends what kind of job you want or need. It is not lying, all of the above is correct, and it is the same job. (Please note that english is not my native language.)

SadAspy wrote:
Foxx wrote:
rule number one, people: There is no such thing as being overqualified... it's a polite and very bullshitty way to say they don't want you.

So what....I'm not actually qualified for a job at Lowe's? Also, I got turned down for a job at Books-A-Million, while someone with a GED (that's the high school equivalency test if you're not in the U.S.) got it! And don't tell he must have had experience...he's barely 18.

And I would also add that being overqualified and them not wanting you are not mutually exclusive categories. They may not want you because you're overeducated. They know you won't stay at the job....it costs them a lot to hire and train somebody.

They are afraid you will leave at once if you are overqualified. But also, and maybe even more, they are afraid they can't manage you. I only recently realized this, and I think it is the main reason. They can train anybody to obtain the skills needed, but they can't train someone to not think and be obedient to a manager that is an idiot. So if you are looking for a job at which you would be overqualified, be sure to pretend you are not.

Also, check if you make the right assumptions about being over or underqualified, as well as about yourself in general. This probably won't apply if you are just out of school, but for the older people it might be useful. I recently realized many of my friends are, like me, underachievers in a way, so compared to them I did fine. Besides, we are sort of happy. The thing is, if you are in a group like that, you will never help each other to get past that point of underachievement. It wasn't until I started looking from a potential employers point of view (different potential employers, at different branches), I realized that where me and my friends saw myself as a partly succeeding poor freelance designer with a helpdesk job on the side, that never grew up, other people might see me as a mature woman with many traits, experience and expertise. Now that I decided I AM a more or less mature woman with many traits, experience and expertise, its more easy to tell others, like potential employers, who I am, and what I can do for them.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 1:34 pm

That is some good advice about applying for menial jobs.....thanks Hap. Also, you are correct that they don't want highly educated people because that may mean they're smarter than the supervisor lol.

Hap
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2011, 9:33 am

Any of you got a job yet? I just got turned down during the last shifting. Again. Less experience as a main factor.

I am going to cry now, and ADHD as I am, I will get up again, and try again. And again. And again. $#$@# (sorry, didn't take my Ritalin, I want to féél and be angry and feel sorry for myself for at least an hour!)

I am almost there. Almost. Like always.