Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 7:40 am

http://www.psychologytoday.com/print/48990

Quote:
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Last edited by Moog on 30 Dec 2010, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntoniusBlock
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Dec 2010, 8:11 am

Dear Moog,

please explain the meaning of the sentence in your signature to me, thank you very much!

anton

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 8:33 am

[page not found]

Nice quote.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 8:44 am

predicted that the sun would not explode this year, and i was correct.

i predicted that my earlier prediction that i would turn into a snail on december 14 was incorrect...and i was correct.

what else can i say? i am clairvoyant.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 9:12 am

Kaybee wrote:
[page not found]

Nice quote.

Ooops, changed the link. Should work now. Thanks.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 9:28 am

AntoniusBlock wrote:
Dear Moog,

please explain the meaning of the sentence in your signature to me, thank you very much!

anton

Hello Anton. Certainly.

It is a quote from a Daniel Goleman book (one that I've not read) called Vital Lies, Simple Truths. I was recently recommended another of his books, as I was told it would help me in my pursuit of understanding the neurochemical effects of meditation.

I found this quote on the wikipedia page about him and I really like it. I feel like I've read it before, but I can't tell when. Maybe it's one of these future memories; Jamais vu or something.

When I meditate, I learn to observe things that before were invisible to me. Noticing how I think, how I speak to myself, how I react to certain things and why. When I see what I failed to notice, that's when I can consciously begin shaping my thoughts and deeds to better effect.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 9:31 am

I'm an incorrigable skeptic. When somebody publishes findings that go against the physical laws of the universe, my first thought isn't "what if everything I know about the physical world is wrong?" but rather "did this guy screw up by accident because of his own confirmation bias or did he deliberately fudge the data?"

I only change my mind about such far reaching things if lots of other researchers are able to replicate the experiment with the same results..lots and lots of researchers.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 10:36 am

b9 wrote:
predicted that the sun would not explode this year, and i was correct.

i predicted that my earlier prediction that i would turn into a snail on december 14 was incorrect...and i was correct.

what else can i say? i am clairvoyant.

Precisely. Even more spooky is that I was reasoning in this same way, which indicates either deja vu or clairvoyance.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 10:40 am

There are two kinds of evidence for "psychic" phenomena: slim and none.

ruveyn

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 2:00 pm

Janissy wrote:
I'm an incorrigable skeptic. When somebody publishes findings that go against the physical laws of the universe, my first thought isn't "what if everything I know about the physical world is wrong?" but rather "did this guy screw up by accident because of his own confirmation bias or did he deliberately fudge the data?"

I only change my mind about such far reaching things if lots of other researchers are able to replicate the experiment with the same results..lots and lots of researchers.

I must say though, and is all dependant on what the laws of the universe or universes are. Got something interesting here and a quote from my friend, which can almost be described as a psychic phenomena.

Can't say I have watched the film to confirm this myself, but take a look anyway.

Look at the date on this then look at my friends idea of what may be the explanation.
[img][800:725]http://cianca.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/matrix-neo-passport-birthday-09112001.jpg[/img]

[/quote]"I do think that, if all things are connected, somehow the mind (especially the creative mind) can pick up vibrations on the quantum spider web of reality, and use those dates in preference to other dates - in the same way events in the real world can affect random number generators. There is much science doesn't know, and I keep an open mind on how the mind comes to perceive any such information. To illustrate. Think of a random number between 0 and 1000. Ask why you chose the number you chose?! You may have picked it up from some unknown mechanism of quantum connectivity. "[quote]

Just because something seems psychic, does not mean that it goes against the laws of nature.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 5:00 pm

Speaking of such things, I've always been fascinated by ghosts. Particularly photographs of ghosts that withstand technical scrutiny. At least I did until I read a critic who asked why ghosts always appear in clothing. This ruined the whole idea for me.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 6:45 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
Janissy wrote:

I must say though, and is all dependant on what the laws of the universe or universes are. Got something interesting here and a quote from my friend, which can almost be described as a psychic phenomena.

Can't say I have watched the film to confirm this myself, but take a look anyway.

Look at the date on this then look at my friends idea of what may be the explanation.
[img][800:725]http://cianca.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/matrix-neo-passport-birthday-09112001.jpg[/img]

"I do think that, if all things are connected, somehow the mind (especially the creative mind) can pick up vibrations on the quantum spider web of reality, and use those dates in preference to other dates - in the same way events in the real world can affect random number generators. There is much science doesn't know, and I keep an open mind on how the mind comes to perceive any such information. To illustrate. Think of a random number between 0 and 1000. Ask why you chose the number you chose?! You may have picked it up from some unknown mechanism of quantum connectivity. "
Quote:

Just because something seems psychic, does not mean that it goes against the laws of nature.

I couldn't access your friend's take on it. The link gave me a 403 error. But I have a pretty simple, non-psychic explanation of my own. The date 9/11 or 9/11/01 has been found in several pop culture atifacts that pre-date 9/11/01. (There was also a Simpsons episode, and some more movies and TV shows). This isn't eeries at all. The thing is, lots of dates are found in TV, movies and novels that the creators want to set in the future. But of those countless dates, all are ignored except the one date that happens to have become meaningful. We just plain ignore all the other dates that also show up in these artifacts because they aren't meaningful to us. If enough thousands and thousands of pop culure artifacts are created, it's inevitable that some will have future dates that later become meaningful. It isn't the interconnectivity of the universe. It's sheer statistical probability.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 3:07 am

Janissy wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:
Janissy wrote:

"I do think that, if all things are connected, somehow the mind (especially the creative mind) can pick up vibrations on the quantum spider web of reality, and use those dates in preference to other dates - in the same way events in the real world can affect random number generators. There is much science doesn't know, and I keep an open mind on how the mind comes to perceive any such information. To illustrate. Think of a random number between 0 and 1000. Ask why you chose the number you chose?! You may have picked it up from some unknown mechanism of quantum connectivity. "
Quote:

I couldn't access your friend's take on it. The link gave me a 403 error. But I have a pretty simple, non-psychic explanation of my own. The date 9/11 or 9/11/01 has been found in several pop culture atifacts that pre-date 9/11/01. (There was also a Simpsons episode, and some more movies and TV shows). This isn't eeries at all. The thing is, lots of dates are found in TV, movies and novels that the creators want to set in the future. But of those countless dates, all are ignored except the one date that happens to have become meaningful. We just plain ignore all the other dates that also show up in these artifacts because they aren't meaningful to us. If enough thousands and thousands of pop culure artifacts are created, it's inevitable that some will have future dates that later become meaningful. It isn't the interconnectivity of the universe. It's sheer statistical probability.

This bit was my friends take on it btw, should have made is clearer

Anyway it is possible to be complete accident. Something tells me though that our minds in a way are all connected. Why is it that some Mothers, for example, can sense that something is happening to their kid or even just a person knows what is happening to a friend for no particular reason.

I also have a friend in America who I trust very well, and she believed her old house to be haunted. Maybe a large amount of ghost stories are fake for a bit of attention, but humans senses only cover a small amount of a potentially infinite amount of energy there is in the universe. It is quite possible spirits or some different forms of conciousness could occupy plains of existence that not all of us can actually sense.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 7:05 am

PatrickNeville wrote:
Anyway it is possible to be complete accident. Something tells me though that our minds in a way are all connected. Why is it that some Mothers, for example, can sense that something is happening to their kid or even just a person knows what is happening to a friend for no particular reason.

Jung concieved of a thing called the Collective Unconscious. He saw us as 'islands' with 'undersea' connections to a 'land mass' that is the collective unconscious.

There's a pretty good intro to a bunch of his ideas here

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/jung.html

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 9:44 am

Moog wrote:
PatrickNeville wrote:

Jung concieved of a thing called the Collective Unconscious. He saw us as 'islands' with 'undersea' connections to a 'land mass' that is the collective unconscious.

There's a pretty good intro to a bunch of his ideas here

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/jung.html

Interesting. I cannot claim to know how the inner workings of that work, but I do believe all life and all matter is in one way or another, connected.

Got two interesting movies for you to watch if you want. Both are by the same person. Esoteric Agenda and Kymatica. Speaks about the spiritual nature of human beings and also talks about the shady government as well. It is ok if you do believe such a thing exists. Whether you do or not you may learn something valuable about the human mind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJiCU6Jw0Co[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AanQ2mY2jjc[/youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 4:27 pm

Two items of evidence for psychic phenomena: Little and None.

ruveyn