Neutral Zone...Come in peace, go in peace.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Budd
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2010, 12:12 pm

Hi, first time posting a topic and I'm actually nervous....so here goes

In the topic "My husband has Aspergers....help" I think we can see a prime example of the miscommunication that occurs between AS and NT people. So, I'd like people to post replies in this thread with prior understanding that no one is attacking anyone at all. Personally, raising defenses at the first, slightest, tiniest little hint of "trouble" is one of my biggest issues. I have had a lot of practice apologizing after blowing up at people over a misunderstood gesture or tone of voice. Someone else said that part of this is AS and part of it(a huge part for me) is having been mistreated a lot for being different. I can't convey how much I agree with this line of thought. Its been a hard thing for me to account for this whole characteristic an bite my tongue sometimes...and still is. In the thread it seemed to me that we AS people were not really taking into account our tendencies to misunderstand or to attack before it is warranted.(notice the word WE, I included myself in this because I reamed a few people when I could have been more diplomatic and less insulting)

Anyway, I'd like people to come here and share opinions, experience or advice for Mrsaune or any other spouse, relative or friend under a flag of truce with the understanding that in this thread we won't attack, and therefore won't be attacked. If some word or phrase feels like an attack then let's set ourselves to a default position of questioning whether it COULD be interpreted as anything other than an attack, and if so, assume that the more peaceful possibility is what was intended. I'd like either AS or NT to feel free to post as I have recently had a lot of help from an NT friend who has "translated" for me a few times and helped me to understand things from an NT point of view.

And if anyone does truly attack MY reaction will be to ignore it and refuse to escalate the situation. I'd like this to be the standard but of course everyone has free will so its just a request.

Happy New Year.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 10:46 am

Durn eggshells , i swore i tried to walk softly .

Yup seem those tendencies in other A.S. persons , aswell as myself.
Still biting my lip .. these days , just more silly stuff seems to get outta my mouth these days.
Social parameters are not my best trait . And am finding myself apologizing days later after figuring out . Mouth was operating on automatic .(but it seemed right at the time) .?

where ever you go ,there you are