Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

just_me
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2006, 8:17 pm

I am looking for a book for my son who is 14yrs he has Aspergers & Adhd. He's only recently starting to talk about his Aspergers, he is currently on Concerta but is suffering from anxiety and has refused to change his meds, his Dr has also recommended anger/behaviour therapy for him.
Bascially I think a book written by an adolescent would help him a great deal. BTW I'm in the UK
Thanks

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2006, 9:27 pm

maybe a website like http://neurodiversity.com/ would help?

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2006, 6:01 am

Look at Luke Jackson's home page. He's a teenager from Blackpool.

He has written a book called "Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers"

He talks about himself and his family.

You could order it on Amazon.

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2006, 6:29 am

Just me I can't give you a book name because I too am in search of educating my son. the one thing I can tell you is that Concerta made my son very violent. he was much more aggressive when he was on it and hit my mother.. we were appalled. when we found out that one of the side effects of the meds was aggression we changed it fast. My sister in law has her PHD in Pharmucutical (sp)Medication. She is a professor at a very well know medical college here in NY. she has been a great help with meds when the DR's are not very up front with us. i just thought you might like to know that Concerta does cause agression.

Colleen

just_me

26 Jun 2006, 10:07 am

Thank you everyone :) for posting a reply I'll be back later on, dinner time here just now.
Take care
Eve

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2006, 10:13 am

hiya, i am also in the UK

I am 16 so i can understand how you Son feels a bit. I could pssibly have ADHD, they though i had it for a long time and out me on ritalin for it - nasty drug.

what are his intrests?

What else can you tell us about him? does he like vcomputer because if he does then let me know i would be happy to talk with im over MSN. althoug i must warn you i am rather odd......

if not feel free to ask me anyhting you want to know about how i use to feel then. it might be helpful or it might not

i dunno.

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

just_me

26 Jun 2006, 2:03 pm

Hiya jammie :)
My son loves to skateboard (falls quite a bit though) and currently is really into Godzilla he has been on and off since he was around 6yrs old. earlier he was into dinasaurs.
He doesn't like to discuss his Aspergers or Adhd which is a pity as I am sure he would love to be able to chat to someone like yourself who knows what he is going through. I'm slowly mentioning
how I see the difficultes he is going through and how they affect him, hopefully through time he will feel more comforatble chatting about it.
Thank you so much for taking time to post a reply to me.
Best wishes
Eve.

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2006, 2:38 pm

Also, have a look at the web pages about Marc Segar.

He was a young adult (tragically killed young in a car accident) who wrote a really good book with tips for young adults about how to deal with all sorts of issues that arise etc. I remember when I went on the website I was able to read the book. My son was only just diagnosed at the time and it made me see how cool people with AS can be.

terifo
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2006, 4:24 pm

Luke Jackson's "Freaks, Geeks,.... " is an awesome book!! ! It was the one that helped me be sure that my son was an Aspie. There is another one about Asperger's and the Universe - also by a young man. It was good too.

My son is on Adderall and Paxil. The Paxil is the only thing that helps with his anxiety.

I tried to get my son to log on here, but his answer was, "No, I might give out too much personal information and have some weirdo stalking me." I told him I would help him, but the school has really ingrained in him to be careful online and he has trouble with different rules for different places. :)

:D

just_me

27 Jun 2006, 3:34 am

nomoreality

I looked at Marc Segar pages last night and am amazed at what an incredible insight he had to his Aspergers and non Asp. Very clever young man.
I have saved the pages, I myself have Asp and what I read makes me feel that I'm not so wacky after all. Hopefully in the future my son will find his writings helpful.

terifo

My sons Dr has recommended he changes his meds to antidepressants, for the life of me I can't remember the name of them.

Thanks both for your helpful posts
:)

just_me

27 Jun 2006, 4:31 am

I've just come of the phone with my sons Dr, he is to come of his Concerta on Frid after the school term finishes for the summer to see if his ADHD has lessen etc
In one respect I am hopeful he can cope without it but in another I am anxious he isn't going to.
Here's hoping the first.

:)

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2006, 5:22 pm

I wish you luck - that's very exciting!

just_me

02 Jul 2006, 9:00 am

Thanks to everyone that posted :)

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2006, 9:15 am

You might want to look at Tony Attwood's stuff too.

He's written one book specifically for managing anxiety - that's the green one,
"Exploring Feelings, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to manage Anxiety"

www.tonyattwood.com.au