Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 1:19 pm

What are the things every society needs to be beneficial to its members?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 1:22 pm

Small size and a natural life style.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 2:12 pm

A couple of things I think:

A good educational system. One that promotes critical thinking. A populous that cannot understand the complexity of the issues in society is doomed to be manipulated by the powerful and the crafty.

Government should be small, but no smaller than is necessary to protect the weakest members of society. The wealthy and powerful seem capable of looking out for themselves. Government should be there to makes sure the poor and the weak are able to benefit from society as well.

An open and free democracy. With modern technology I think a democracy (Direct voting - one person, one vote) is far more feasible than it was before the invention of quick communications. In the 18th and 19th century, perhaps a republic (representative voting - many people, one vote) made more sense. Although it's hard to say. There may be unintended consequences of selecting one system to the complete exclusion of the other.

I don't suggest these ideas because I think they are the natural right of all individuals. I think they are important because I think they promote a better life for all.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 2:48 pm

jagatai wrote:
A couple of things I think:

A good educational system. One that promotes critical thinking. A populous that cannot understand the complexity of the issues in society is doomed to be manipulated by the powerful and the crafty.

The state of tax funded schooling at the elementary level is dreadful. Our grade-schools K-12 fail miserably. The best grade schools are "test schools" like Boston Latin or the Bronx High School of Science, which are open to test-qualified candidates. Science and math education in the usual quality tax funded public schools is poor. Our public schools do NOT promote critical thinking nor were they ever intended to do so. Our public schools and the lineal descendant of the Prussian School System and were fathered by Horace Mann in the 19th century. Like their Prussian ancestors, American public schools are designed to turn out well-behaved obedient little Americans who will work hard, pay their taxes and never produce any revolutionary or necessary changes in the society. In that regard they are succeeding wonderfully well.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 2:51 pm

It would of course be extremely interesting to observe a REAL educational system in operation. The problem is society would never stand for it.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 2:56 pm

Autonomy, self-sufficiency, a little measure of security, and empowerment.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 2:58 pm

Any kids I have(although I plan to have 0) will be educated at home, either through me or a hired teacher(or several).

EDIT: Forgot to answer the question.

Cohesiveness of Intelligence (Organized institutions of discussion and research, untouched by politics, with the resources to look into potential problems that society is facing. Perhaps and a way to implement whatever they come up with but it might be better to give that power to someone else)
Social Mobility
Also a way for the general populace to petition the Cohesive Intelligence.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 3:11 pm

Philologos wrote:
It would of course be extremely interesting to observe a REAL educational system in operation. The problem is society would never stand for it.

I don't think society wouldn't stand for it. It's just that there are many points of view and people generally don't cooperate well. My idea of a "REAL" educational system may be different from yours. The result of you and I trying to form the "REAL" educational system may only result in a poor compromise between the two.

I don't think there is a perfect system for educating people. Certainly the one we have in the U.S. ain't so great at the moment. But I think we can make an effort to improve education in general. Different people have different needs. A free and open style of teaching may bring out the best in one person while a strict adherence to fundamentals may work better for someone else.

But I don't know that the educational system has to be one way or another. I just think, in addition to a basic baseline education, it needs to make sure the population acquires the tools of thinking so they learn how to teach themselves. It's like the saying "Give a guy a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for life." Same idea.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 3:31 pm

"A good educational system. One that promotes critical thinking."

If you can say that, then our educational systems are not that far apart.

I have elsewhere talked briefly about educational desiderata.

I admit to being somewhat pessimistic -living in academia can do that to you.

For me, the problem is the LAST thing most people want is critical thinking instead of learn the Chairman Mao song daycare spitback.

Students HATED my exams because I COULD NOT make a spitback exam.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 3:59 pm

Philologos wrote:
For me, the problem is the LAST thing most people want is critical thinking instead of learn the Chairman Mao song daycare spitback.

Students HATED my exams because I COULD NOT make a spitback exam.

I agree. Most people resist the difficult work of critical thinking. I am not optimistic that our society would embrace critical thinking in schools, but perhaps I have a sort of paternalistic attitude that even if society doesn't like it, it's good for them and each individual should be given the opportunity to learn basic critical thinking. Given those tools, more complex questions become more accessible.

On a side note, I have an english language edition of Chairman Mao's little red book. Odd stuff. What's frightening is there are things in it I agree with. Then there are other things that are rather disturbing.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 4:21 pm

The devil can quote scripture ...

It is rare indeed to find ANY lie that has no kernel of truth.

The reader has to say - and unless the writer is truly insane always will say - This is right, and that is true, so probably the rest is correct if I just understood it.

I fear I have grown out of my feeling that people ought to me made right. Number 1 Son is still there.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 7:00 pm

compassion, empathy, humility... anything along those lines

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 7:04 pm

A good system? One rich enough, where all members have inputs that are valuable to the most/more efficient working variants of the possible system to organize production. The reason being that if there is enough wealth, and if all members contribute something very valuable, then all members will have a comfortable amount of wealth.

Education doesn't matter. Most people won't care. They'll want their own happiness and that of their children(if they breed), not much further. Just try to educate them, and they won't really have it stick, unless they really want it. Even further, nobody can really understand the complexity of issues in society. Just having a BS is insufficient for that task. Even if one has a PhD, in a relevant field, it is not a given that one understands a lot of the issues at stake. Foreign political science-man might not really understand the workings of fiscal policy that well. Economics man may not really understand the justification for a lot of foreign policy moves.

I don't think democracy is needed. Most of what is desirable is a system that is flexible and self-correcting. The numbers of voters is less important.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 7:04 pm

Competent administration, open debate, and relative equality (economic and social) of the citizenry.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 7:31 pm

JNathanK wrote:
compassion, empathy, humility... anything along those lines

Compassion, humility and $3.16 will buy me a small coffee and an Old Fashioned Donut at my local Dunkin' Donut shop.

Just $3.16 cents will be me a small coffee and an Old Fashioned donut.

Which indicates just what compassion and humility are worth.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 9:03 pm

But with compassion and humility you might enjoy it more.

Especially if Dunin' Donuts manfest some compassion and humility.