The worst pain you've ever experienced.

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2011, 11:06 pm

Had typhoid fever, in a foreign country at 16, with no real hospital to go to. Stuck alone in a room with a fever high enough to top off the old mercury thermometer i was given.

Lying in a bed with wrapped in heavy blankets. Sweating, shivering, freezing cold, that nauseating dull lower gut pain (later tests showed my liver/kidneys were failing).

I knew I needed to cool down badly, crawled across a concrete floor into an ice cold shower. That water was so cold it burned, but wasn't the absolute pain, it was the psychology of it. The constant insidious pain, that you can stop anytime, but know that you shouldn't.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 11:21 pm

Spontaneous pneumothorax... I've had them countless times. I later learned that if you just breath normally and don't panic, that the lung won't collapse as fast and may even stay put... although still deflated until a tube is shoved through your rib cage to let the trapped air out. Some people with a pneumothorax get lucky and the lung re-inflates by itself... mine stopped doing that after the first few collapses :(

My worst attack on a pain scale of 1 to 10... 20 :|

I am or hopefully was the poster child for spontaneous pneumothorax. I had a surgery to correct the initial left lung. Then a year later my right lung gave out. Then a year later my left lung went out again and was the worst which wasn't a slow process of getting seen by my surgeon. I was rushed to the emergency room for that one... and then they punctured the rib cage to let the air out, which did very little since it was so bad. They then put this little box where they punctured the rib cage that was meant to suck the air out but it wasn't working. I think the next day my surgeon did the most painful surgery I've ever had. It was supposed to be... I don't know the word... not evasive in the least :|. So now my left lung is soldered to my rib cage in almost every place as I've been told and shouldn't break no more :D. However that same surgeon did all 3 surgeries and now I get paranoid of every ghost pain I get in my right lung because I'm in no way doing that again. I'd rather risk dying than have to go through that procedure again :(.

The pain is like suffocation... so gasping for air but not getting much of anything but the feeling of getting stabbed every attempt at breathing. Also it feels like there's an unseen force pressing on your chest so hard as if it's attempting to force the life out of you through crushing. That's if you panic though... if you don't panic it just feels like getting stabbed repeatedly :?.

queenofswords
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2011, 10:42 am

I've had four natural childbirths, but that wasn't the worst. The worst was when I woke up one morning with "frozen shoulder." I was a grown woman, but I cried from the pain for hours, until my dad finally drove me to the doctor. I've never been so happy to see a giant needle coming at me in my life.

The worst emotional pain was losing my husband to a sudden cardiac arrest, two months ago.

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 7:45 pm

When I was stung by a caterpillar in kindergarten