Is it ok to tell friends I am Socially ret*d?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

countfred
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2011, 12:26 pm

Is AS a social retardation?
Thats how I feel
Thats how Ive told a close friend
Even my mom
But its usually when I cant describe it
That I used that term
No Offense meant

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2011, 12:34 pm

It does seem like social retardation. I'll tell anybody, I don't care.

Oh ass burgers, you so crazy!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Is it ok to tell friends I am Socially ret*d?

I have told people about my lack of social and/or emotional intelligence, but my doing so has seldom proved helpful even while being evidence of same.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 1:49 pm

I'd be reluctant to use that term. I wouldn't call myself ret*d in any way. If you wish to tell people that you're Socially ret*d. go ahead.

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2011, 2:12 pm

I wouldn't use "socially ret*d" either. Even good friends may start changing their behavior towards you if they feel you are different in a bad way.

CinnamonGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2011, 3:29 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd be reluctant to use that term. I wouldn't call myself ret*d in any way. If you wish to tell people that you're Socially ret*d. go ahead.

:lmao: :hail: :lmao: :hail: That made my day!! !! ! And my day's been pretty sh***y so far! Thank you!!

I wouldn't really call myself that to 'the public'...but I'm sure I've joked around calling myself mental and ret*d to my close people (that sounds weird, but u get the idea...) Some people really don't like that term, so I always try to be aware of something like that. That's why I find it best to not use controversial terms like that in public...

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 4:35 pm

The word "ret*d" is generally a very negative term, even if you use it in a joking manner. I'd advise against using it, because it implies that you see you see your AS as negative...which it isn't! You are differently abled, not disabled, and I'd advise you to play upon your strengths rather than your weaknesses. When explaining the things you have trouble with, just say "I'm not so good with".

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Mouldy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2011, 6:17 pm

Well i would exactly word it that way but if you relly wanna tell em' just say your socially awkward or dont always understand what people say as others would normally, it depends on how your freinds would react if you suddenly came and said im socially ret*d becuase beleive me it's not the attention you want because i made the mistake myself and unless you can laugh at yourself when they bring it up in conversation which in my case was very often so it's up to you how you tell em' :wink:

My favorite letter is the squiggly! ~ :D

Malisha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jan 2011, 7:40 pm

IvyMike wrote:
Oh ass burgers, you so crazy!

I lol'd.
I say that all the time.

I used to say I was socially ret*d way before I ever knew about ass burgers. I can't help but have a sense of humor about it.
That being said, a lot of people really don't give a crap what you tell them about having a disability. Sometimes it just makes them treat you worse. And there are some people who just think you're making excuses or lack the "strength of character" to magically make yourself better.
Sometimes these people are doctors. heh.

So anyhow, beware of early disclosure but if a relationship is already established, go for it.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 11:37 pm

I have never heard the term socially ret*d. That is pretty funny and describes me all at the same time.

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2011, 12:08 am

I admire your courage putting your self out there admiting your condition but "coming out of the closet" probably won't end well unless their very good friends. Be ready for jokes and such.

kriskarnage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2011, 10:29 am

I've used the term before when describing myself to some fellow classmates that were curious on what it was. To me I just feel like I am ret*d in social situation and I'm just being honest about myself.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 12:23 am

I wouldnt have to explain being 'socially retarted' because my friends and people who meet me figure that out within an hour or two lol- its pretty evident. I feel ok calling myself that but if someone else called me socially retarted I would be a little hurt.

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2011, 7:11 pm

I actually used that exact term with a friend, who is still kinda getting to know me. He actually appreciated it, because he thought I didn't like him. Although I don't think I'd tell someone I wasn't friends with.

DeathGoth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2011, 9:58 pm

Ya usually when I tell people i have just met its because i don't want to talk to them anymore in the 1st place.
The thing about normal people, they cant deal most of the time with someone who is different than they are. So the easiest way for me to get rid of someone in a nice way is tell them I am an Aspie and tell them why I am more different than them and they kinda go away on their own..

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 1:48 pm

If it comes up I prefer to say I have terrible social skills, rather then socially ret*d.....I mean its just different wording really. But I guess I am still a bit bothered by being called ret*d all the time in elementary school because I was a bit different and failed at PE class. I mean I realise it was because it was the only word they had in their vocabulary to describe anyone different......but I always took it literally.