Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

thissux
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2011, 5:24 pm

Hi all.

I am 15 turning 16 on February 27. My mom told both me and my sister that as soon as we were 16 we would have to start buying our own clothes and things that we wanted. I sent out some resumes last night (through email) and was called today for a job interview! I wasnt expecting it all to happen so quick. So I have a job interview on Monday at 2:30 and I am really worried. Since I hve AS I have a very hard time making eye contact and putting my thoughts into words. My sister, on the other hand does not have AS and it is much easier for her to get a job. I really dont know what to do. I am already thinkning about calling and cancelling the interview but I really need a job. It is a telemarketing job if that helps at all.

I also dont know what I will wear. I live in Manitoba, Canada where the weather is always changing. I dont wear jackets as I feel very restricted in them and only wear sweaters. I wear jeans for pants but thats it. I really dont know what to wear. Thanks for reading.... Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help: :silent:

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 5:51 pm

Depends on a few things. What is the job? It is unlikely that stellar social skills or wardrobe are terribly important for any job a 16 yo with no experience in the labor market will be interviewing for.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 5:57 pm

I would suggest some form of comfortable casual but smart shirt, as to wearing a coat/jacket with it, you don't have to. Although, it is a good idea to carry one it the weather is not the best (visual thing, you don't need to wear it). Jeans are probably ok because you're young.

As to the interview itself, finding out regularly asked questions as regards this job helps. Then asking someone to ask you these questions in a kinda scary voice can help because it may prep you for them being scary. Practice looking them in the eye and firm handshakes (stronger with males than females). Bringing water can also help because it can give you a few seconds to think of how to answer a question you didn't prep for but practice drinking casually as well. Deep long breathing can help calm you down before the interview but be careful about it during the interview because it can look like panic sometimes.

Oh, and something else if you have time to, write true positive things down about yourself because if you can see your best attributes they probably will too.

thissux
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2011, 6:07 pm

Thanks so much!

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 1:29 am

Flash cards... seriously that is the only thing i can think of.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 2:11 am

Telemarketing? Is it Vector or one of those companies that's commission only? If so, you may as well not go to the interview...