Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 12:46 am

Do you dare?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 2:48 am

i have heard worse radio voices than my own. i am sure that if i had a personalized venue where i could dish and play my own faves, i'd do alright. in my dreams, anyways.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 9:29 am

I did it in college. A lot of fun. I doubt I (or anyone else) had a lot of listeners. It's easier to come out of your shell talking to a microphone.

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2011, 12:19 pm

i was a dj in college too. good times. and yes it was much easier talking to a microphone. but when i realized i needed an outgoing personality and energy to talk to people, i decided to not pursue it any further. i was just interested in playing music. my music, for the most part. so i loved it. but i got probably a total of a dozen calls in my two years and a lot of prank calls from some jackasses i knew at the time. that station had more of a tv community station music background reception and only had radio reception within a mile or so. and then my second station at another college was a lot more powerful and more organized, and i had a co-host (not by choice) and well we didnt really click. he loved the real sh***y indie music where as i was more mainstream rock/indie/alternative etc. so that didnt last long.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 11:34 pm

within flying distance of where i live, there is a radio station [KPLU-FM, parkland WA] with a UPS music professor who hosts a jazz program, where he plays his [and Pacific Lutheran University's] collection of old jazz. his is a dream gig. he sounds so erudite behind the mic, you can almost "see" the pipe smoke wafting from his pipe as he coolly and deliberately segues from one jazz disc to another, with his running 'tween songs patter, on the music and times of the past. i wish i were him. sometimes.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 11:45 pm

I had a radio show in college as well. I think I discovered more new music than the people listening did. :roll: It was hard for me to stick to one genre, but it was a good experience. Edited to say, I don't think I'd want to be a radio DJ professionally. You don't have much control over the music you play.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 11:54 pm

I don't have what it takes, but I'm sure others do. If you succeed be secretive about it, for some people here working a DJ is solid prof that you don't have AS - ask Willard about it :lol: .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 12:02 am

envy is a persistent and powerful feeling, tough to do anything about. my insides feel corroded just thinking about it.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 12:13 am

auntblabby wrote:
envy is a persistent and powerful feeling, tough to do anything about. my insides feel corroded just thinking about it.

This made me very sad and upset lately - how do you deal with it?

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 12:21 am

The one I'm looking at is a volunteer position as a DJ for some kids' radio show. Pretty sure the song options are even more limited, but I'm not really a music fanatic and I'm more interested in the talking aspect of it anyway.

I think it's fun to challenge myself to do something I'm terrible at and publicly humiliate myself in the process.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 10:12 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

"a man's gotta know his limitations." [dirty harry]
do try harder to not feel bad- unless you can use said angst to become a better person. just knowing that there will always be those greater and lesser than oneself is a big help. that is part of perspective. the perspective that comes from old age is a big help, it is the dispensation that god gives to those of us earthings who decided to stick around long enough to accrue a bit of hard-won experience. this rolling stone DOES gather some moss. it does no good to want what others have. there is nothing and nobody under the sun that can be called "perfect" - it is a package deal, as there are negative aspects of the beautiful people that i do NOT want to have, so i have to spurn the whole package. i hope this is helpful.
take care :)
bruce

hesting
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2011, 3:47 pm

I think you should do it.

I was engaged in a radio show at a local radio station for a year - we were the first live transmission every day, at night there only was a repetition of the show that had been sent in the evening hours.
After the show we always had a breakfast (at 8.30 am) and we talked about what went good and what went not so good ...
It has helped me with my speech a lot.
And I'm glad I'm familiar with the technical equipment now.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 4:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Sallamandrina wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

"a man's gotta know his limitations." [dirty harry]
do try harder to not feel bad- unless you can use said angst to become a better person. just knowing that there will always be those greater and lesser than oneself is a big help. that is part of perspective. the perspective that comes from old age is a big help, it is the dispensation that god gives to those of us earthings who decided to stick around long enough to accrue a bit of hard-won experience. this rolling stone DOES gather some moss. it does no good to want what others have. there is nothing and nobody under the sun that can be called "perfect" - it is a package deal, as there are negative aspects of the beautiful people that i do NOT want to have, so i have to spurn the whole package. i hope this is helpful.
take care :)
bruce

Other people's envy is the one upsetting me, especially here. I understand unhappiness and loneliness, but I don't understand the desire to hurt others who never wronged you, just because they have something you want. I see people I like getting attacked and bullied and leaving the forum and it makes me sad :(

Thank you for the kind words - I needed to be reminded not everybody gets like this.