Everyone getting punished due to one person.

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2006, 4:42 pm

I so so SO hated when they did that in school.

Zim: THE HATE!! !! THE ANGER!! !! !

G.I.R: I like paste!

One time we didn't get to go to this thing they did every so often in my school. Where they had what looked like a plastic inflated igloo, and they had a projector in there and it was like a mini Omnimax thing about the stars. Well I didn't get to see it cuz the kids wouldn't behave. I really think it's dangerous for the one kid. I certianly felt if I knew who the kid was, I'd teach them a lesson about behaving. :evil:

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2006, 4:47 pm

wobbegong wrote:
It's something they've done as psychology studies, usually undergraduate because they do their experiments on rats - because rats don't sue.

Actually you're wrong. I've heard Splinter, of the Ninja Turtles series, has done alot of advocating for his fellow rats. Even representing them in court.

Yeah, I'm joking. Still, the idea would be hilarious. Like Harvey Birdman: Attourney at Law

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2006, 4:52 pm

sigholdaccountlost wrote:
doordoctor wrote:
Iammeandnooneelse, maybe was the mr wheels guy in a wheelchair and had a personality problem or some bug up his butt?? maybe if so maybe he was struggling with some emotional problem.

No, he wasn't in a wheelchair.

I rememberd his name. Mr barrow,

barrow, wheelbarrow.

Wheelbarrow, mean.

"Meanie Wheelie"

A lot of people were immature jerks then,

Yes, but as far as immature nicknames for teachers goes, that one seems to have some actual thought put into it.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 3:36 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
sigholdaccountlost wrote:
doordoctor wrote:
Iammeandnooneelse, maybe was the mr wheels guy in a wheelchair and had a personality problem or some bug up his butt?? maybe if so maybe he was struggling with some emotional problem.

No, he wasn't in a wheelchair.

I rememberd his name. Mr barrow,

barrow, wheelbarrow.

Wheelbarrow, mean.

"Meanie Wheelie"

A lot of people were immature jerks then,

Yes, but as far as immature nicknames for teachers goes, that one seems to have some actual thought put into it.

Yeh, it does.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 9:31 pm

One time in school someone stole a pencil. It happened right in front of the teacher and she knew exactly who it was. She punished the whole class for it for a week.

Tina_Watercrest
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2006, 10:32 am

Go figure eh?

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 3:54 pm

Truth-Seeker wrote:
Xuincherguixe wrote:
I think the best approach is to take it like this.

Because the punishment is so arbitary, it is meaningless. You're supposed to be upset about it, that's what the instructor wants.

So your grade goes down. Okay. Grades are pretty meaningless anyways.

To me their not. The idea of my grades being a reflection of someone else, along with a teacher deciding "I'm gonna make all of you suffer!" is what gets deep under my skin. How smart I am isn't a reflection of how someone decides to behave and how the one in charge decides how to handle it?

I agree with Truth-Seeker. I'd really like to go to an Ivy League College (and I'm sure there are others here like that too) and to have a grade lowered (possibly significantly - I know here they like lowering the quarter grades a whole letter) could damage that chance.
I detest most whole class punishments. Loss of talking privileges are ok with me (or today we lost the ability to do the walking course in Health and Wellness, and to be honest, I find that an improvement). Other things though, like when an entire class gets detention, is a whole other story. The people who did whatever wrong in the first place will not be moved. In fact, I know that most of them tend to be amused when the entire class gets in trouble for something one or two people did. So what are the teachers teaching as a lesson? Everyone else is responsible for your faults?
I also don't like when teachers say something like, "If you had stopped him/her, you wouldn't be in this situation!" Um, excuse me? Am I the teacher? No. Am I the parent? Nope. Do I have any interest whatsoever in trying to control the kid when I know full well that it will just result in further problems? No. Don't try and pass off your lack of control onto the class. Deal with the individual by yourself, on your own time, and without screwing up everyone else.

Three years!

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 6:13 pm

I was put in a psychiatric hospital when I was 16 that used this bulls*** technique. In school, it's bad enough but when you're on lock-down for six or seven weeks with your fellow teenage inmates....er, um....patients, it bites.

If someone ran away, got caught with drugs or did something that violated the major rules, everyone in the adolescent floor got punished. We got put on what's called "Ice", meaning we weren't allowed to go to Gym, have visitors, go down to the dining hall to eat(we had to eat in our rooms), movie nights or any other privilages.

In that hospital, we advanced in treatment by moving up "phases". The higher we were, the more privilages we got. When on "Ice", we weren't even allowed to move up a phase so this also meant a possibly longer stay in the 5th circle of hell that place was. Supposedly, it was to teach us that our actions affected others. Luckly for me, the one time it happened, I was Phase I so I didn't have any privilages anyway. :roll:

Interestingly, years later, they closed down due to lawsuits alledging they fraudently kept patients longer than necessary or admitted people who didn't need inpatient treatment in order to get more money out of their insurance.

Spudzombie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2006, 11:19 am

In any case, it's all just unethical treatment of human beings. The people enforcing those kinds of punishments are just trying to turn us all into bleeding zombies... and not the ones you see in horror movies, either.

For some reason or other, I just can't hold a grudge against them though. They're probably doing unto us what their teachers, instructors, et cetera had done unto them ages ago.

An aggravating (sp?) cycle that has to stop somewhere.

Tina_Watercrest

25 Oct 2006, 1:18 pm

Maybe this is why I want to be a CYW so bad... so I can be there for people so they don't get send to these horrible places.

N/e way...

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 2:09 am

I hated that crap. It's one of those things that are proof that the US public school system isn't designed to educate people, it is to teach kids to obediently submit to our capitalist masters and to keep us ignorant about how the world really works.

Tina_Watercrest

31 Oct 2006, 5:48 pm

Same with the Canadian system... if you can find a school with good teachers, then you're blessed. I find that small communities are better, but some are underfunded and just don't care anymore. Of course, with the increase in Ritalin perscriptions due to teachers requesting "Testing for abnormal behaviour", school's a heck of a lot worse. Children who are just energetic or not completely depressed are considered the ones with problems. I hope that the teachers training here are going to be a better batch than we currently have.

filious_050
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2006, 4:20 pm

I'm in high school, and sometimes when my class does something wrong, everyone gets punished. I am one of the people who don't get into trouble so some teachers let me off (with some other good people) and make the troublemakers get punished. But, for example, in maths class, when we talk the teacher stops doing whatever she is doing (doing the register, demonstrating something) and then we do it in our own time. Only rarely we're out of that class early.

30 Dec 2008, 11:21 pm

I remember being in third grade and we were all waiting in line to go to lunch. All the kids were talking so we didn't leave and I just stood there waiting. Then finally the kids were done talking so we went to lunch and by the time we got there, lunch had just ended because all the kids who got through eating were all outside playing. We had to sit at a table so the other classes who came for lunch can sit at the other tables. When we got outside to play, the recess didn't last us very long because we spent our time inside eating and then what happened? The kids said the student teacher took recess from them so she told all of us, she did not take recess away from us and asked "Do you know why you had a short recess? Because there was talking."
The rule was we are to be quiet when we line up for lunch and no one leaves until everyone stops talking. The kids never broke that rule again.

I went to speech therapy one time with two other boys from my class and our speech therapist introduced us to a new game, Mystery Garden. But then one of the boys picked his nose so she stopped him and started to discuss hygiene with us. By the time we were done talking about it, we had ran out of time to play the game, all because of one boy. :evil:

I had gone through many times in elementary school when we had recess taken away or lost a few minutes of it because the other kids kept talking while the teacher was talking or they weren't following the rules so the teacher would add it into our recess time for using up her minutes of trying to teach us. We take her time, she will take ours. And what did the kids do instead? "Our teachers mean." Don't they ever learn? :roll:
I was the only one who thought, "No she isn't." I understand why the teacher did it. If they don't want to lose recess, follow the rules and she won't take it.
My mom said it was because they weren't used to rules because their parents never taught them to follow them. They just let them run wild and not care what they did so when they get to school, they were forced to follow them and they didn't like it.

I have gotten the rest of the kids in trouble a few times :twisted:

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 12:30 am

Ironically, that never happened with me. Many of my teachers have some faults, but that wasn't one of them. I probably would have freaked out if that ever happened to me though!

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 1:28 am

There is no such thing as justice in a school setting. If someone attacks you for no reason, you both get detention. Try to use reason to support your case, you might get suspended. An they expect to build character and foster intelligent adults. Pfft. They're trying to make sheep.

But they do not have me