Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 12:07 pm

On November 29, 2010, Ari Ne'eman delivered a public lecture at the Ohio State University. His talk, entitled, "Neurodiversity and the College Campus," focused on the burgeoning neurodiversity movement and what students, faculty, and community members alike can to do advocate for social change.

The talk was co-sponsored by the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network chapter at Ohio State, the Office of Student Life, the Autism Society of Central Ohio, and Aspirations Ohio.

Part 1 of 3:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWp30ExW5so[/youtube]

Part 2 of 3:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbwcjlp-Fjo[/youtube]

Part 3 of 3:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNT6v1hRlc[/youtube]

http://www.autscape.org/

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jan 2011, 2:20 pm

Go Ari! I went to high school with him.

He's a real activist.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 5:32 pm

I think the strategy of comparing autism to racial injustice and autism awareness akin to the indifference of the KKK raising awareness of racial injustice and to then attempt to imply high functioning people should be in control or have more control is a poor strategy. It's a social pressure that while candid is not the same as racial injustice which I have spent time studying and to pressure the involvement of advocates utilizing such comparative strategies will be seen through. Ultimately what needs to happen is for a line in the sand per say. You got to make advocacy work for two different groups of people. Those that cannot self-advocate and then those on average those who are higher functioning and who can speak for themselves and are not conserved. I'd agree with this type of approach but the comparison approaches just are to easily seen through as rhetoric.

Anything that gives me more say in my life, improves my choices and how I might better succeed I am for as an individual with autism. However I just don't think some of his strategies are the best. There are people of different races working with, advocating with and voicing their opinion on all different sides.

It just seems to me media has allowed a certain political view of self-advocates to have the most attention which is tied to a mainstream political party and whom appears as if they will fail because of their rationality. If I was watching a movie I'd say the plot was fairly predictable. I am lacking confidence in the experience and strategy of ASAN as a person with autism.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 6:41 pm

Fine. Give me a few weeks and I will analyse the entire 40+ minutes but I warn folks it will be some 5 - 10 or more pages long but will have an overview. It's good it's January. I guess it's time for someone to step in as a person with autism and find a balance. Please do not blame me for trying to kill developing life with autism for stating the analytical facts and also I am not Hitler or Anti-Jewish for disagreeing with some of Ari's frameworks. Ari is not the only person with autism that is smart and has a point of view.

J0lt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2011, 10:02 pm

I am getting sick and tired of your crap, CI. You are almost as bad, if not worse (considering you supposedly have an ASD and still act the way you do towards our community), than the campus aut$pks jerks who came to this talk and harassed Ari during the Q&A section of this speech. Rights movements have always compared themselves to past movements, and saying that we don't have the right to do so is playing the oppression olympics at best and implying that we somehow do not deserve full rights at worst.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:27 pm

J0lt wrote:
I am getting sick and tired of your crap, CI. You are almost as bad, if not worse (considering you supposedly have an ASD and still act the way you do towards our community), than the campus aut$pks jerks who came to this talk and harassed Ari during the Q&A section of this speech. Rights movements have always compared themselves to past movements, and saying that we don't have the right to do so is playing the oppression olympics at best and implying that we somehow do not deserve full rights at worst.

Read the many newspaper article about my autism advocacy and say I don't have autism when a Harvard PHD Graduate will confirm it to any macro media source. Also Ari can't be right all the time and saying his group has only certain values and will only accept certain value while calling it THE Autism Self-Advocacy Network is just as misleading and non-inclusive as Autism Speaks is. This persecutory blame game and discourse strategy is getting old. Tax-payers sacrifice allot, hardly ever are thanked and then if you don't agree with a group leader representing people with autism whom are helped and are loved allot by people they don't even know you are oppressing someone because you disagree and don't drink the philosophic fruit drink. I recommend Ari and the other folks having to do with the group officially come on this board and regularly answer some questions and not hide behind rhetoric of KKK, bigots and the oppression of others with autism because they have different ideas and perhaps values then Ari.

Free thinker..