I'm proud to be autistic, you should be too

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

StarThrower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2018, 7:30 am

Speaking as someone who didn't talk for the first 7 years of life yet was not diagnosed until age 64 , I feel very strongly that the worst handicap of autism is not knowing you have it . Getting the diagnosis was the most liberating event of my life because now I can finally begin to understand the massive amounts of confusion , doubt , pain and needless suffering in my life . Am I proud of being autistic ? Not really but I sure am relieved to know why I think , feel and act the way I have . Am I ashamed of it ? Absolutely not , in fact I think it's a gift if you know how to use it . I compare it to having a brand new 450 HP Ferrari where none of the switches or gauges are labelled , the windshield is fogged up and you can't find where to put the key . We don't need a cure , what we need is an owners manual that helps us understand , sort and make sense of the overwhelming amount of information we can access .

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 5:07 pm

StarThrower wrote:
Speaking as someone who didn't talk for the first 7 years of life yet was not diagnosed until age 64 , I feel very strongly that the worst handicap of autism is not knowing you have it . Getting the diagnosis was the most liberating event of my life because now I can finally begin to understand the massive amounts of confusion , doubt , pain and needless suffering in my life . Am I proud of being autistic ? Not really but I sure am relieved to know why I think , feel and act the way I have . Am I ashamed of it ? Absolutely not , in fact I think it's a gift if you know how to use it . I compare it to having a brand new 450 HP Ferrari where none of the switches or gauges are labelled , the windshield is fogged up and you can't find where to put the key . We don't need a cure , what we need is an owners manual that helps us understand , sort and make sense of the overwhelming amount of information we can access .
yes!! !!

Wreck It Ralph

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 4:26 pm

I absolutely hate it when people say they hate having Autism when it really doesn't affect them that much. Autism effects me a lot and I love being Autistic.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 7:58 pm

As one who is affected by it a lot I go back and forth between liking it and disliking it.

It might be harder for those not affected by it as much being between both worlds.

Graceling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2018, 9:19 pm

In a few points:
1) I would never tell anyone how they should feel about being autistic, since I don't know anyone else's journey.
2) I've had a lot of grief and a lot of difficulty in my life due to my ASD, and part of me wishes I could do what NTs can do so easily sometimes. It's a rough life, and not for the faint of heart, and at times it really sucks.
3) If there was an Autistic Pride like there is an LGBT Pride, I would totally be right there!!

I'm very glad for everyone that is proud of being autistic. I kind of go back and forth, myself. I wouldn't change who and what I am, but it isn't always fun. So I can't blame anyone who doesn't agree with Autistic Pride.

Amanda G23
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2018, 4:38 pm

I agree with the OP. The reason I feel that way is because I consider autism to be a neurotype. The autistic neurotype is vulnerable to characteristic disabilities (which may or may not be present) but the disabilities don't define it. I don't understand why so many people are getting hung up on the definition of the word "pride". I understood that he meant it in the same sense as "gay pride"; that is: not ashamed and feeling positively about it, rather than neutral. He clarified that that's what he meant. How does it make sense to respond to a meaning that was never intended?