How to make an NT person act autistic.

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 7:36 pm

I don't think you need to figure out how to act autistic to understand it. It's not like we have no concept of what being neurotypical is like, or at least I don't. I'm not sure if that is the main point of your message. But I do believe autism is mostly perception and processing differences.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:06 pm

Wallourdes wrote:
You could make a person autistic by emotionally neglecting a non-autistic from young age to the age of 25, since the needed stimulus aren't met this person doesn't develop these sufficient and thus the neural pathways breakdown.

This would cause issues, but not autism.

NOT A DOCTOR

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:21 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:
You could make a person autistic by emotionally neglecting a non-autistic from young age to the age of 25, since the needed stimulus aren't met this person doesn't develop these sufficient and thus the neural pathways breakdown.

This would cause issues, but not autism.

Nah, but it was about making a person autistic, not to which extent.
It causes autistic-like behaviour and developmental problems which seem to be very much like autism.

~

Transcranial magnetic stimulation to specific areas of the brain can get temporary savant abilities.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:28 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
anbuend wrote:

Seems to me they are missing something important. The disability simulations as described here have become little more than parodies. What they haven't taken advantage of is the psychological power of a simulation and how if leveraged differently could actually help understanding rather than hinder it. Rather than letting it become a structured exercise in "pity the poor disabled", take the intensity of the experience and turn it into something positive.

To say that such things are useless is the equivalent of saying I can understand another culture only by reading books. That going there and tasting the food and working beside them has no value.

I'm thinking the problem is these things were designed by non-disabled people. If they were developed and run by those with disabilities, then they would be more than just "feel bad for the gimps" days.

Actually the same people who published those articles have an entire book on how to do them right:

http://www.advocadopress.org/dadir.html

And I didn't see any problem with the orientation training, I was just responding to the general idea of a nonautistic person trying to put together an autism simulation. But if anyone's interested in those things, I'd recommend that book.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:33 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
pensieve wrote:
Oh yeah, LSD to mimic synesthesia. I forgot about that stuff.

LOL. I think that is a classic example. Cannabis can distort perception of time. Other drugs mess with memory. I suppose none of these get to the core.

Of course some of them can have the opposite effect on some autistic people. I've found also that people often say that the way I experience the world sounds like LSD, but then when I look closer at what their experience was, it was almost always a heightening of idea-thought (to the point that it couldn't be put into words), not the lessening of it that I deal with (that also can't be put into words). (And the fact that I was more normal when I tried it bears out the theory that it's not the same at all.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:26 pm

Take the person's iPhone and Blackberry away from them. That person would have a meltdown in seconds, flat. :lol: