Is anyone else annoyed by lack of grammar?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chloeh
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2011, 7:14 am

The lack of grammar on this forum is ridiculous! I couldn't care for those who clearly don't put any effort in to have good grammar but the ones who do and still make mistakes are just infuriating! I have seen more than one person get confused with their does, didn't and done. It really makes me feel ashamed that people with a condition of which supposedly makes them smarter than the rest can be so stupid.

Does anyone else find this annoying?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2011, 7:37 am

I'm NOT annoyed by lack of grammar at all. I'm dyslexic thou & tend to make lots of English & spelling mistakes. Some people have bad grammar because of learning problems(like in my case) & they can not have perfect English. Grammar use is also a cultural thing; like slang terms in music. I think writing is a way for people to express themselves & their use of grammar is a form of their individuality. i used 2 spel werds liek day sounded a couple years ago becuz i thought it looked kewer & it was actuly faster 4 me than trying 2 use correct english

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 7:42 am

Chloeh wrote:
I couldn't care for those who clearly don't put any effort in to have good grammar but the ones who do and still make mistakes are just infuriating!

To me, that seems backwards ... or to possibly say that more accurately: reversed. I am occasionally annoyed by people who seem to make little or no effort, and I commend those who truly try.

PanoramaIsland
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2011, 7:55 am

I tend to be annoyed by aesthetically grating grammar and spelling, but I'm not a prescriptivist - I don't think that there's a single Proper English to which all people ought to adhere. I myself take liberties with the English language all the time; language is an expressive medium as well as a communicative one, and differences in usage and dialect are what lead to new languages in the first place.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 8:06 am

No, it annoys me when people show ignorance towards other people's grammar problems (hows my grammar in this, is it ok? Sigh in annoyance and correct it for me if it's not up to scratch)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2011, 8:14 am

blue_bean wrote:
No, it annoys me when people show ignorance towards other people's grammar problems (hows my grammar in this, is it ok? Sigh in annoyance and correct it for me if it's not up to scratch)

+1. I get really annoyed when grammar police have to call others on it. I think they are extremely judgmental, controlling & have low self-esteem for having to point out others flaws in order to make themselves feel special.

I do get annoyed slightly when people only use all-caps. Using all lower-case is easeir for me to read & using all-caps is a trademark of spammers

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:12 am

Chloeh wrote:
It really makes me feel ashamed that people with a condition of which supposedly makes them smarter than the rest can be so stupid.

This "of" is grammatically unnecessary.

To answer the question: Sometimes. It used to drive me crazy (in general--not here specifically), but now it only bothers me if I find the post difficult to read because the spelling and grammar is so poor. An occasional minor error has never bothered me, though. We all do it, as demonstrated above. :P And poor grammar and spelling does not necessarily equal stupid. It can be laziness or lack of education or ineptitude, etc. One of the most intelligent people I know is terrible at spelling and not much better at grammar. He's well-educated, not lazy, intelligent, but can't for the life of him remember how to spell or figure out where to put an apostrophe.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:25 am

Chloeh wrote:
The lack of grammar on this forum is ridiculous! I couldn't care for those who clearly don't put any effort in to have good grammar but the ones who do and still make mistakes are just infuriating!

why would you be infuriated by people who fail to use correct grammar ?

is it because you very much want to understand what they are writing, and you are unable to do so due to their incorrect grammar ?

are you unable to decipher what a person wrote when it contains incorrect punctuation and syntactic anomalies ?

i would think you would not care for the words of people who can not use correct grammar, so i am unsure as to why it infuriates you that their posts are illegible to you.

i do not use capitals except where it is necessary to use them to avoid confusion (example "AS" (distinct from the word "as") or "ODD" (distinct from the word "odd")).

i also tend to use unconventional syntax. for example: i would say "i very much like it" rather than the conventional "i like it very much", because my linguistic flow is unusual.

i do not often abbreviate words because i am used to considering each word in isolation as i write them. i do not write two words as if they are one (like "can't" or "isn't") because it blurs my resolution of the structure of what i am writing, and it interrupts the rhythm of the singularity of my consideration. to blend words is like walking down a fight of steps where some steps are fused into one, and the drop from the fused steps to the next single step is double the distance and i may stumble if i am running down the steps. each word is a separate step for me.

i have been insulted about my uneducated way of writing by many people on this site, but some people understand me, and i consider those people to be smarter because they do not have to have the auxiliary "map" of "grammatical efficacy" to follow my words.

Chloeh wrote:
It really makes me feel ashamed that people with a condition of which supposedly makes them smarter than the rest can be so stupid.

i can not feel "shame". it is not in my emotional inventory. i know what it means because i have been told many times, but i do not know what it feels like (like a color blind person will never know what "purple" looks like even if the whole human race has their say in describing it).

AS does not "make" somebody smarter. you have committed a grammatical sin.

maybe you meant to say "it really (redundant word) makes me feel ashamed that people with a condition of (redundant word) which supposedly is associated with higher intelligence than non AS people ("the rest") can be so stupid". that is a grammatically more accurate way of saying what you said, but it is still poppycock.

i am not smarter than "the rest", and i am AS. maybe you are worried that people will read my posts and decide i am a moron due to my crude writing style and then tar you with the same brush because you are also AS ?

i think you need to establish an identity of your own and not ride on the coat tails of others with AS because you will be disappointed that they may not express to the world what you wish you could.

edit:kaybee you beat me to the excavation of the word "of". blast it.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 9:43 am

Chloeh wrote:
The lack of grammar on this forum is ridiculous! I couldn't care for those who clearly don't put any effort in to have good grammar but the ones who do and still make mistakes are just infuriating! I have seen more than one person get confused with their does, didn't and done. It really makes me feel ashamed that people with a condition of which supposedly makes them smarter than the rest can be so stupid.

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:46 am

Chloeh wrote:

Yes.

I might have waited to get to know people before going off on a diatribe.

Don't forget, too that this is a forum by and large occupied by adults and children alike with Aspergers and a whole host of emotional and mental disorders.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 11:12 am

as long as i can decipher what you say, i don't care about the precise form of your usage. the grammar police have their place but can be pills at times. the late journalist edwin newman was a superior grammarian but at least he had a wry sense of humor about it. a bit 'o clown helps the medicine go down.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 11:24 am

No, I do not get annoyed by a lack of grammar. I have a learning disability, and I find it hard to read and write. It's pretty hard to have perfect grammar, if you're not much of a writer.

You can think that I'm below average in intelligence if you want. I know that I'm above average in that area.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2011, 12:02 pm

I'm annoyed by the lack of proper grammar on some posts; especially if I find it to be lazy in nature. I generally try not to let that stop me from paying attention to the content of the post, though. My grammar isn't perfect, but I always try to keep it passable. This is a great opportunity for me to complain about a quirk in the software of this forum, and in most others as well: If I try to correctly place an extra space between the end of one sentence and the beginning of the next, the extra space is deleted. I still persist in going through the motion of typing the extra space, but it doesn't show up when I submit the post. This is not a complaint aimed at the admins or the founders of the site. It's simply an observation of the software here and most everywhere else.

Charles

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:16 pm

kx250rider wrote:
If I try to correctly place an extra space between the end of one sentence and the beginning of the next, the extra space is deleted.

Well I never, so it does.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:22 pm

PanoramaIsland wrote:
I myself take liberties with the English language all the time.

Perzactly. And one needs to know how to write proper before one can be liberties taking.

OP wrote:
a condition of which supposedly makes them smarter than the rest

It doesn't, as your use of 'supposedly' implies you know, and therefore it's no contradiction that the standard of grammar is no different here to what you'd find elsewhere.

The year is still young.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:33 pm

No, why limit yourself to some pedantic rules determined by a bunch of stuffy fellows half a milllenium ago. Live a little.