How did you meet your partner? (If you have one)

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 2:28 am

I thought this might be a useful thread for people who are struggling with how to meet and get together with a long term partner. (I got the idea from another thread where Dox47 described how he met his wife.)

I met my first long term partner in college. I knew him slightly freshman year from the dorms, then sophomore year we had a class together. (This was at art school. The class was a studio class that met twice a week for 5 hours each day, so we spent lots of time in the same room.) He was very nerdy and interested in unusual things, like collecting found objects from the road. I only thought of him as an eccentric friend. Then he started coming around to visit me all the time. We would take walks together or go dumpster diving. I didn't think of him romantically but he was so persistent and so sweet we ended up together, and we were together for 14 years.

I met my second long term partner at a community center where I volunteered. I was helping set up a garden for the center and he was a carpenter who volunteered to help build it, so I had to work pretty closely with him on the project. A few weeks later I went to a party associated with the center, but I'm not much for parties and left early. As I was walking into the subway, he was coming out, and he asked if I wouldn't go back to the party with him. I said okay. We spent the rest of the evening together, and we were together for 10 years.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 7:38 am

I met my bf online. He was having a bad day and posted about it, I pointed out the good points in his life (slightly agressively) and we met after a month. We've been together for almost six years so far.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 8:07 am

at work.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 8:09 am

OKCupid :oops:

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 8:13 am

At a club on campus....the rest they say, is history! :)

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 8:20 am

I met my wife at University (first year) and we date at the end of begining of the third year. Physics is fullfilled with werid people, so I felt at home there.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 8:21 am

OK, I moved from a country town to the big city.

I ran into a girl from my town who was studying nursing.

Yes we had sex a couple of times but we really didn't "click".

Then I met one of her friends and decided that she was the one for me.

But wait. There's more. I had three or four friends and she had three or four friends and we all ended up marrying each other.

QuelOround
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2011, 8:58 am

Mine is really weird.....

My brother arranged for one his co-workers to take me out because I didn't have any friends. I met her at her apartment but when I got there I felt an attraction to her room mate. Her roommate went with us too we'll call her T. We got to the club and all the lights and sounds and smells where overwhelming, T seemed to sense this so she was kind of hanging back letting me adjust.... when I got squished by a bunch of people trying to get by she grabbed my hand and lead me out of the crowd. I hate being touched but this time I didn't mind.

when we got back to their place I just followed my script. "Thanks I had fun bye" and I left. I didn't see T again for another year. When she saw me she made sure to give me her number and get my number.

I guess I got lucky her nephew also has AS so she saw that in me right away, and she doesn't care about all the weird things I do. We've been together for almost 5 years.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 9:43 am

The first two were women I met out in public at the mall and a coffee shop. Then I was in a long distance relationship where I met her on the internet. I can't even remember where.

Unfortunately, all three ended horribly and now I'm all alone. v_v

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 9:46 am

I met my first gf in high school.

I met my second gf online.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 10:46 am

i met tammy when i was walking back to my car that was parked in an underground car park. she was at a bus stop, and she was crying and some teenagers were teasing her. she was fat and she also was not able to talk to them in a way that they found acceptable.

i stopped and listened for a few seconds and i heard they were saying things like "hey baby. what's your secret? d'ya read the walrus handbook of how to get a mate?"

tammy: ummmm what ?
them : ha ha ha ha (they sounded like geese honking because their voices were breaking) don't go to antarctica or you'll be raped by walruses!!
tammy : so what? i'm going home.
them: ya can't get a bus to antarctica...hahahahahah..the ugly express!! !
tammy: (cries and garbles an ineffective answer)

me: come here (to tammy)...(silently so they could not hear) do you want some help?
tammy:yes
me: (silently) i will give you a lift home if you want.
tammy: please do?. could you pretend you are my boyfriend?
me: yes. come with me. my car is down there. (then loudly so they could hear)..ok let's go home darling.

we went to my car and when we got in, we drove past the bus stop. my car is a mercedes and they did not have anything to say and i glared at them as i slowly drove past them.

when i got tammy home, we realized that we loved each other, and the rest of the story is that we became soul mates and i love her very much and she loves me very much.

i can not describe things well at the moment because my father is extremely sick and i am freaking out so i am sorry if my post is lackluster.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:03 pm

b9 wrote:
i can not describe things well at the moment because my father is extremely sick and i am freaking out so i am sorry if my post is lackluster.

Your posts always make me smile. :)

I'm sorry about your father.

Thanks everyone for posting. If anyone wants to, give more details that might help a lonely heart out there figure out how they might go about meeting someone.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:11 pm

people do but a lot of guys here don't listen, unfortunitely

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:26 pm

I've met several people online over the years. I had one successful relationship that way. It was actually a wife of one of his friends that put him up to getting to know a girl over the internet (me). We lived in the same area so we emailed for a week or so before meeting up. I was messed up at the time and couldn't possibly have a successful relationship in my life so I screwed that up after several months. But, I believe that people can meet someone via the internet and have a healthy, successful relationship.

I met my husband at college. We weren't college kids. These were evening classes that took place after our work hours. I worked for the county. He worked for the city. Our friends just happened to fill up a row of that class that put us sitting next to each other. This was the only class that we had together because our majors were very different. He was getting a lot of attention from the women in the class, both married and unmarried, so we were just friends in a group of friends until we realized we were more than that. It took about five months from meeting until we were officially dating. There was attraction and sexual tension before the five months mark (it started almost immediately) but we took our time and stayed in the flirty friend zone.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 12:36 pm

Completely randomly -- she moved into my old neighborhood right after I moved out, but since my parents still lived there, I came visiting mid-year and met her on a walk. We both apparently liked what we saw -- I asked her out the next day, and things snowballed from there -- we've been married over 12 years.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2011, 1:45 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
OKCupid :oops:

Same. ^0^