Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 12:26 am

http://www.healthyfellow.com/440/autism ... e-therapy/

I'm honestly not surprised by the aroma therapy massage not being successful. I personally can't stand large quantities of lavender. Is it possible that autistic people generally prefer food/edible scents to floral stuff?

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 7:00 am

I know I certainly don't want strangers putting their hands all over me. Massages = stressful.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 4:36 pm

Kaybee wrote:
I know I certainly don't want strangers putting their hands all over me. Massages = stressful.

Actually, I have the same issues. I've only like massages in one instance & that was having someone massage the pressure from around my spine that had built up due to scoliosis. But generally I can't stand being touched and find the fact some people think touching anti-touch people fascinating. But I honestly think that if parents used "deep pressure" touch on their autistic kids rather than typical touch, the kids may be able to learn to tolerate the contact more.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 10:41 am

I was very touch-deprived as a child, and then enjoyed sharing hugs with my first circle of mature friends. A good hug, BTW, is in the hands - you hold the other person like a tender infant, just adjusting postures for sizes. Then, I experimented a bit with neck and shoulder rubs, and foot rubs. I was given money to get a bit of training, and was very lucky to learn from a real healer who had no use for memorizing the Latin names of the muscles. He said that their names were the one thing they never responded to.
Thereafter, I traded massages with friends from time to time, until one of them said that the spa where she worked was short-staffed, and I should apply. There, people paid $100/ hr. for me. I got $40 plus great tips and comments. However, I have since moved inland, and can't find a decent massage anywhere, now that the touch healer has retired. They don't teach that stuff in school, they just sell you a license and defend your turf as you go through the motions. 2016 was a hell of a year for me, so I thought I'd splurge on a massage to shake it off. It was only good enough to cover the anxiety of making the appointment.