Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:06 am

I have an annual checkup this week. Is there any reason my regular doc should know of my recent DX for autism? Any reason that I should not say anything?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:11 am

I mentioned AS/HFA to mine just in case we ever had any communication difficulties.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:12 am

I've been wondering too. I've held my tongue so far because I didn't think it was medically relevant to anything, but my mom says it wouldn't hurt to tell the doc.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:35 am

I'm can't decide if there is any medically necessary reason.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 10:43 am

If you have a formal Dx, I don't see the harm.

If you believe you have AS but no formal Dx, I'd not say anything as he likely will not it in his chart and if those records are ever obtained it can possibly hurt you down the road.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 11:07 am

LOL.

I guess it is moot. My wife an I see the same General Practitioner and she already mentioned it. I guess I better make sure that what ever is in the file is accurate.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 11:10 am

If you are already communicating with this individual without any problems I personally don't see what you would gain by telling him.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 11:40 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
If you are already communicating with this individual without any problems I personally don't see what you would gain by telling him.

That was my initial thinking. But now that my wife has spilled the beans I'm going to have to make sure nothing weird is in my file. I don't need some nurse treating my like I am non-functional because she saw the word autistic. That would create a tense moment while I verbally castigated her for making assumptions.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 11:45 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
MidlifeAspie wrote:

That was my initial thinking. But now that my wife has spilled the beans I'm going to have to make sure nothing weird is in my file. I don't need some nurse treating my like I am non-functional because she saw the word autistic. That would create a tense moment while I verbally castigated her for making assumptions.

I would hope that medical professionals would know better, but I would probably find myself in a situation where I read too much into the way they acted towards me if I knew that they knew.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 1:29 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
. . . I don't need some nurse treating my like I am non-functional because she saw the word autistic. That would create a tense moment while I verbally castigated her for making assumptions.

Maybe just go medium, as in

'I am not stupid. Alright. I have patchy social skills like every other human being in the world. Some things I understand just fine. And other things you might occasionally need explain in a different way, just like anyone else. Okay?'

Although I guess that does count as verbally castigating!

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 1:35 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
. . . I don't need some nurse treating my like I am non-functional because she saw the word autistic. That would create a tense moment while I verbally castigated her for making assumptions.

Maybe just go medium, as in

'I am not stupid. Alright. I have patchy social skills like every other human being in the world. Some things I understand just fine. And other things you might occasionally need explain in a different way, just like anyone else. Okay?'

Although I guess that does count as verbally castigating!

I usually take an indirect approach. Invariably, I know more about my personal medical issues than the health care worker. It's a positive aspect of my special interests. So all I have to do is rattle of a few sentences at 100% 'special interest intensity' and they get the picture. I wouldn't be surprised to see the word 'ass hole' next to autism on my file after such an encounter.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 1:44 pm

All my doctors and therapists know and are relieved to know that my hypo-sensitivity is a result of neuro wiring as opposed to some mental issues. LOL! My physical therapists spent years trying to learn my pain scale in fact.

I think it is important for these reasons that they know...

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 1:46 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
I usually take an indirect approach. Invariably, I know more about my personal medical issues than the health care worker. It's a positive aspect of my special interests. So all I have to do is rattle of a few sentences at 100% 'special interest intensity' and they get the picture. I wouldn't be surprised to see the word 'ass hole' next to autism on my file after such an encounter.

That's pretty good!

Now, if you're under 30 (vague rule of thumb) have you thought about medical school, maybe specializing in infectious disease, and maybe even more specifically with influenza as one of your specialities? That's what I might do if I was a little bit younger! (no, I'm now in my later forties, maybe some contributions as a medical journalist)

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 1:59 pm

There is no reason one would need to be young to go to med school, unless it is due to sleep deprivation becoming more difficult to deal with as you age.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 2:15 pm

kfisherx wrote:
All my doctors and therapists know and are relieved to know that my hypo-sensitivity is a result of neuro wiring as opposed to some mental issues. LOL! My physical therapists spent years trying to learn my pain scale in fact.

I think it is important for these reasons that they know...

Actually, that would be a good reason, but fortunately, my own sensory issues are minor. My biggest problems are in socialization and executive functioning.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 2:44 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
There is no reason one would need to be young to go to med school, unless it is due to sleep deprivation becoming more difficult to deal with as you age.

Well, by the time I did the undergrad (even though I have a bachelor's in pschology), medical school, internship, residency . . .

Well, I might do more good as a PhD in a lab, since that's where my interest are.

Or as a communicator, as in good medical journalism.