Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jamiethesilent
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2011, 2:43 pm

I write quite a few bash shell scripts. However recently the bang line of the script is not working. When I try to execute the script I get an error on line one: !#bin/bash No such file or dicrectory. As far as I know my syntax for the bang line is correct. I have written several other scripts and they have worked perfectly. I run Zubuntu 10.010

James

- Cruch Bang Linux.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 2:52 pm

I thought shell scripts started with #! not !#

Aside from that, Ubuntu has moved to dash instead of bash for the default shell, so some scripts that use bashisms might not run properly.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 4:58 pm

jamiethesilent wrote:
I write quite a few bash shell scripts. However recently the bang line of the script is not working. When I try to execute the script I get an error on line one: !#bin/bash No such file or dicrectory. As far as I know my syntax for the bang line is correct. I have written several other scripts and they have worked perfectly. I run Zubuntu 10.010

James

#!/bin/bash... you have the # and ! reversed. You can use the mnemonic crunch bang! to remember the order.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 5:35 pm

Yes, it's she-bang, the she meaning # and the bang meaning !
#!/bin/bash