Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2013, 9:22 pm

I was ambidextrous when I was little, and I was pushed to use the right hand by teachers, and so, now I am just right handed.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2013, 5:03 am

I'm a lefty! :)
I have also noticed that there seems to be less difference between the ratio of autistic lefties to autistic righties and NT lefties to NT righties.
I go to a mainstream school, and I have wondered this.

In my form, there are 30 kids (2 other kids as well as me are on the spectrum). I have observed everyone in my form while writing, and 1/6 of them are lefties, and one of the other ASD students is as well.

In the ASD support unit, there are 12 students (including me). I have observed them writing, and 1/2 of them are lefties.

Is this is a coincidence, or is there an actual link between autism and left-handedness?

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 3:02 pm

Wow. I'm actually right-handed.

Never knew that this was such a common thing on the spectrum.

Aboriginal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2013, 10:36 pm

I am left handed in everything. I'm typing with only my left hand right now. (#'^'#)

ageoflolquarius
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2013, 10:25 pm

I've heard of that correlation before. They also say there's a correlation between homosexuality and being left-handed, which is interesting because the mlst common tjeory on sexuality is that it has to do with prenatal hormones. Food for thought.

alphaEmpathy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm

My friend Wesley is left handed. (I'm right handed with some signs that I might not be 100%) She's also very good at origami. (I'm not, too much directions if you ask me)

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 3:23 am

I'm right-handed.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm

I'm ambidextrious. Ambidextrous. Ambidextruous? :?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 11:27 pm

Lillikoi wrote:
I'm ambidextrious. Ambidextrous. Ambidextruous? :?

ambidextrous.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm

I am 99.9% sure I was a lefty who was forced to write with my right hand. In fact, I even remember the teacher saying the pencil goes in your right hand and only your right hand and being constantly "corrected". Go figure despite being the class genius I was by far the worst writer and it took months to catch up with daily practice at home. I fit the "lefty" stereotype (even bat left in baseball) expect I can only write and throw with my right hand. It's relatively common now but back then, I was the only player in my league who did that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I am 99.9% sure I was a lefty who was forced to write with my right hand. In fact, I even remember the teacher saying the pencil goes in your right hand and only your right hand and being constantly "corrected". Go figure despite being the class genius I was by far the worst writer and it took months to catch up with daily practice at home. I fit the "lefty" stereotype (even bat left in baseball) expect I can only write and throw with my right hand. It's relatively common now but back then, I was the only player in my league who did that.

you ought to try writing lefty regularly. it will stretch your brain. I am a lefty who writes with his right hand [clumsily to this day] also.

pigsrock
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

Probably because of how most people w/ autism' are right side dominate for the brain because of the way we think. If your school has a self advocacy course take it and you will most likely learn about it. :D

melysllew
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2014, 5:01 pm

I'm right-handed, but have been trying to teach myself to use my left hand, and failed. The only thing that I can only do with my left hand is eating with chopsticks.

You are very likely an Aspie

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm

melysllew wrote:
I'm right-handed, but have been trying to teach myself to use my left hand, and failed. The only thing that I can only do with my left hand is eating with chopsticks.

hey, that's pretty good! I cannot use chopsticks the way they were intended, all I can do is push food around and stab at it with either hand.