"How much of who you are is because of a single reason?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Azernak0
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2011, 9:23 am

I was diagnosed with High to Low-Severe Asperger's Syndrome last year. It didn't bother me and to this day it still doesn't bother me but it did make me think of something that could be mildly depressing.

"You are who you are. You feel very strongly about things you think are important (Religion, Politics, Art, etc). Keep all that in mind. How much of you are is because of a single reason?"

This, like nearly everything else to pass through my bulbously large head, made me lose quite a bit of sleep. I was kind of disturbed that the way I think might be because I'm "more special" than all the other children. Of course, you can really apply that thinking to everything. Sexual orientation, country of origin, gender, and the like are all capable of shaping so much of a person.

So, how much of who you are is because of a single reason?

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:52 am

I don't know for sure. I like to help people, I suppose it shapes me somewhat because through wanting to help people it means that I make decisitions that I otherwise might not make. I feel life experiences shape a person.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:56 am

Having overprotective parents shaped a lot of who I am.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 10:05 am

Quote:
How much of who you are is because of a single reason?

When my own ego was the major factor behind all of that, that was about all I was: an ego.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2011, 10:15 am

I think you should have used "Cause" instead of reason. Sorry, anyways, to answer your question. I think ignorance from everyone, and impatience. People tell me I'm smart, yet and try some heroic scheme to try and intervene to encourage my germination from cysalids-seed mode. Without bothering to examin my inner world which is a highly advanced civilization (some imaginary world I inhabit to slowly evaluate and manage the chaos around me. (living in China, among very angry Chinese, quick tempered Chinese, and illmannered Chinese, or ignorant people from the 80s). Those who truly know me, don't know me at all, they see a clumsy 35 year old, clumsy, sterotypical nerd. My dad's wife, is psychotic, and whenever she explodes in tulumous temper as my dad mismanages money, or has come back from a business meeting, (which he has to use money). She usually sees me as some kind of scapegoat. No amount of money can placate her temper. She was born to complain.

She often uses this low blow that am I not or not embaressed that I'm 35 and still living with my dad. Well no S. I just came to China! And I'm very very very very sorry I did. very sorry I did.

but most people, coworkers, foreigner bosses in which intollerance for people with disorders is the Norm. I loved the Muslim boss who asked me "What's wrong with your head". His Allah is going to punish him. Muslims are NOT allowed to critisize another human as they are insulting the Masterpiece that is Allah's creation (everyone) to do so, is the most henious of ALL crimes, including stealing (cutting off hands punishment), that is to think you know better than Allah the all knowing, all mighty, (and the other thousands of inadqeuate human terms that doesn't do his impeccable perfection justice) to say that you're ugly, or you're stupid, is to commit Sherik. The human taking on the mantel of God.

I like the other muslim boss Wassim. He said the problem with you is that you don't think. Without knowing all knowledge and with Aspergers that I decode information not as he has. Again,he comes from an old and cultured society. The more older they are, the more intollerant they are. I live in China...

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 11:21 am

Azernak0 wrote:
I was diagnosed with High to Low-Severe Asperger's Syndrome

What the heck is that?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:06 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
Azernak0 wrote:

What the heck is that?

My reaction too. It's either High, Low or severe. Maybe different aspects? Like high verbal, low executive function, severe sensory issues?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:32 pm

i am the way i am because of the choice i made to incarnate in this particular lifetime into this particular body in this particular environment, at this particular time. change any part of that equation and the answer would be different.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i am the way i am because of the choice i made to incarnate in this particular lifetime into this particular body in this particular environment, at this particular time. change any part of that equation and the answer would be different.

How did that choice work?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:42 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

How did that choice work?

insufficient data for definitive answer, only a preliminary subtotal- at the end of my life i could tell you more. as for now, i am a hermit because i can't handle living among people and all their noise and jostling and social requirements. i gave up on all things the outer world offers to those who can handle the outer world- no mate, no status, nothing at all 'cept a tin can out in the woods. but i still appreciate what i have for i know it could be far worse, and indeed i have been homeless several times in the past. my pc is my link to the outer world, that is what i can handle. so to directly answer your question, "this" is how my choice works. so far. if i won a big $$$$$$$ windfall this afternoon, things would be totally different. money may not buy happiness per se, but it sure gives one more options.

Azernak0
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2011, 4:41 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
MidlifeAspie wrote:
Azernak0 wrote:

What the heck is that?

My reaction too. It's either High, Low or severe. Maybe different aspects? Like high verbal, low executive function, severe sensory issues?

I am either on the super high side of 'High' or on the low side of 'Severe' on one of the assessments the psychiatrist had me take (think it was something like Kruger).