Brushing teeth: one of my biggest problems

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2006, 4:36 pm

Getting an electric toothbrush helped me a lot, it's almost fun doing it that way, and was the first time the dentist was pleased with my teeth after using it for a while.

I just make it part of my morning routine, I only brush once a day though. Usually floss each night after dinner, usually have it close to hand and sitting next to the computer to remind me, so I put on a film or something and do it then, I actually quite like flossing though, to the point of doing it too much.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2006, 7:53 am

Whenever I come here. there's always a post about something ELSE up that I thought was a "me-ism" and it turns out is common to Aspies. i am surely not alone!

Back on topic.....

I have NEVER been good at brushing my teeth, and that got WORSE when a sadistic dentist went straight into my deeply-infected molar without waiting for the anasthaesia to work when I was aged 12 (Mum heard me screaming 3 floors below. She reported him. He got struck off.) I pretty much only screw up the coursge to go to the dentist once every 5 years, and I'm useless at brushing and flossing (though I'm doing well wity the brushing now.)

I couldn't say why I didn't brush-I guess it just seemned like too much.

Julie

applesauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2006, 8:12 am

I have a set routine before work which goes something like...get out of bed, go to bathroom, brush teeth, wash, get dressed, brush hair, have breakfast, leave house.

And that way I never leave the teeth out.

However...I hate brushing my teeth with a vengeance. My sense of taste is really, really sensitive and I loathe the toothpaste taste. I'm one of the odd people who ASKS for a needle full of antibiotics rather than something to drink because at least then I can't taste it - most toothpastes are unbearably strong for me.

The only one I can vaguely bear is colgate and even that gets to me sometimes...

I wish they would invent one that tasted of nothing :S

I never had cavities etc until I started brushing my teeth regularly under pressure from my mother. I have soft enamel anyway - possibly due to the fact all I would drink for most of my childhood was orange juice :S

Apple

djslow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2006, 3:05 pm

I have the same problem. What got me starting to brush my teeth better was when the dentist told me off. I knew i'd have to start doing a better job because I knew that it would damage my teeth which would put girls off. Also i could end up with no teeth, think how gross that would be.

foggy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2006, 4:16 pm

I've managed to brush my teeth, but never more than once per day. My problem was always flossing.

I manage to floss daily now - I got a WaterPik flosser for xmas. Now that it's a little electric toy that's easy to use, rather than little pieces of string, I don't mind it too much.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 8:04 am

It wasn't hard for me.