What is one supposed to do if you have aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Newlife
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2011, 1:41 am

I just got denied my disability for social security.

I cannot think or behave socially, cant get a job due to a burglary felony, im leeching off my father, im 23 now, passed high school with C's. 2.5 gpa no extracurricular activities.

I have no cash, job, but i do have a car. Thought about taking my life, but i cant because im concerned about my families reaction.

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2011, 1:58 am

Leave this POS country.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jan 2011, 1:59 am

Oh, hey, I just got denied too.

What you do is appeal for reconsideration within 60 days.

Also, it's a good idea to get an attorney who specializes in SSI/SSDI applications, as this will boost your chances of getting it significantly. You'll pay him 30% of the award if you get it (probably on the second appeal for a hearing).

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2011, 1:59 am

Calm down you can generally apply again. Most people I'm told don't get applied the first time. Now would be a good time to get all your paper work in order and see if there's anything you may be missing or that you could add to help your case. Then apply again, as many times as needed.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 2:51 am

This is Politics. We need politicians that will stand up for disabled people and not bankers. (the primary causers of the credit crunch). Find out who they are and vote for them.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 8:58 am

It is also not true that the felony will prevent you from getting a job - it will certainly make it more difficult, and will prevent you from getting certain jobs. Go see a job counselor; check with your local library to see if they have or can recommend a service. It's going to take a lot more work on your part to get one, but it can be done. You will have to reassess your criterion for "acceptable job."

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 9:18 am

I was recently denied, and an attorney who does applications and appeals and all of that has told me you almost have to be on your death bed to get approved ... and then he essentially told me to go and either get solid documentation of complete and irreversible disability or get a job. He said he suspects "'The Government' is broke", and he agreed when I further commented about Social Security never really being meant to be paid out anyway. So, we older folks are still dependent upon you younger ones, and we will have left nothing behind for anyone else ... and that is just how things are.

Last edited by leejosepho on 14 Jan 2011, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2011, 9:21 am

The people that get disability usually have a lawyer. I too got turned down, filed appeals, years into it, final decision NO. My issues are my back (missing a disc), depression, as I am not a diagnosed aspie. Meanwhile I know dozens of people who get it, many run businesses, have jobs. A good lawyer, a therapist, test results (don't try to do your best, they will say you rate high on their stupid scale). Best of luck, don't let it beat you.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 9:25 am

backagain wrote:
I know dozens of people who get it, many run businesses, have jobs.

Yes, and that makes no sense. I have a brother who has been "disabled" and getting checks for around 30 years now, and he just recently signed a contract to sell his house for probably near a quarter-million dollars.

Go figure.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jan 2011, 9:34 am

leejosepho wrote:
I was recently denied, and an attorney who does applications and appeals and all of that has told me you almost have to be on your death bed to get approved ... and then he essentially told me to go and either get solid documentation of complete and irreversible disability or get a job. He said he suspects "'The Government' is broke", and he agreed when I further commented about Social Security never really being meant to be paid out anyway. So, we older folks are still dependent upon you younger ones, and we will have left nothing behind for anyone else ... and that is just how things are.

I read this thing:

http://pol.moveon.org/ssmyths/

Quote:
Myth: Social Security is going broke.

Reality: There is no Social Security crisis. By 2023, Social Security will have a $4.3 trillion surplus (yes, trillion with a 'T'). It can pay out all scheduled benefits for the next quarter-century with no changes whatsoever.1 After 2037, it'll still be able to pay out 75% of scheduled benefits--and again, that's without any changes. The program started preparing for the Baby Boomers retirement decades ago.2 Anyone who insists Social Security is broke probably wants to break it themselves.

It's got citations as well.

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2011, 9:37 am

the value of property has nothing to do with disability, it's not based on what you have, but what you can do. Don't know where your brother is, but a quarter of a million dollars isn't a huge value for a house.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 9:39 am

Verdandi wrote:
I read this thing:

Quote:

I had not said Social Security is going broke. It is "The Government" that is broke, and Social Security was never intended to actually be paid in the first place.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 9:41 am

backagain wrote:
the value of property has nothing to do with disability.

Understood, but the ability to accumulate it certainly does.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 9:44 am

leejosepho wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I read this thing:

Quote:

I had not said Social Security is going broke. It is "The Government" that is broke, and Social Security was never intended to actually be paid in the first place.

Social Security's already being paid to tons of people. The government isn't "going broke", the deficit is far more complex than that (and always has been), and while there are people in the government who want to trash social security benefits, people do get paid.

The majority of people who apply for SSI/SSDI, get a second appeal, and go in front of a judge get awarded disability benefits. No, it's not easy, nor is it short, but the system does end up working (slowly, painfully, and badly) for many people.

I certainly will agree the system to apply for disability benefits seems designed to discourage people, but this is the same regardless of the national deficit or surplus. The US sucks and is overall guided by a fallacious idea about puritan work ethics defining one's worth.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 9:49 am

Verdandi wrote:
The majority of people who apply for SSI/SSDI, get a second appeal, and go in front of a judge get awarded disability benefits ...

backagain wrote:
... final decision NO. My issues are my back (missing a disc), depression, as I am not a diagnosed aspie.

We minority folks still suffer.

Verdandi wrote:
The government isn't "going broke" ...

Correct. It already is.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 10:07 am

leejosepho wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
The majority of people who apply for SSI/SSDI, get a second appeal, and go in front of a judge get awarded disability benefits ...

backagain wrote:
... final decision NO. My issues are my back (missing a disc), depression, as I am not a diagnosed aspie.

We minority folks still suffer.

Everyone who has a disability is in a minority, but most who go as far as appeal (and have an attorney) get approved. Picking one person as an example doesn't prove anything because not everyone gets approved. It sucks, but once you get to a hearing it's not the rule.

leejosepho wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
The government isn't "going broke" ...

Correct. It already is.

It's not broke. The government is far from being literally broke. If anything, it's not spending enough and refusing to tax enough, but since Republicans are pretty determined to protect special interests (corporations, the wealthy) while cutting necessary services (food stamps, for example), it certainly acts like it's broke in some ways. Deficit spending is necessary to stimulate the economy, however, and austerity measures will simply make things worse.

But social security's separate from government funds.