Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 4:33 am

Because this question fits into all aspects of college, work, and a little social...I thought here would be better instead of fighting which forum to put it into.

I'm having a hard time in college. I do better in 8 week programs then full term programs, but I need all the units which means I'd have to take a full term.

Anyone else?

The full term, after a while I loose motivation halfway through, I'm probably just as bored as I was in high school. I began to realize a trend, in elementary it was okay to have questions, in middle school sometimes questions were okay, high school rare questions were asked, and by college no one raises their hand or ask questions. You find yourself shaking your head you understand because you feel if you raise your hand you'll look especially dumb in front of everyone.

Anyone else?

The thing with college is I feel its frowned upon for me to ask questions. I have a natural curiosity and love applying knowledge I know beforehand and building it ontop of what I'm learning in question. If I ask a question applying knowledge of beforehand and the knowledge given to me, many of the teachers appear offended or upset that I asked it. Even worse is some teachers dismiss what I say as merely I made a mistake in my question.

Anyone else?

I'm scared to get a job because its the same mentality really. One function monotone movement. Either you're the host and you give out menus, boring where is the mental challenge in that, serve food boring I have to many sensory issues with that, or something else. Maybe you work at Office Max and its just stacking. I cannot stand one dimensional workspace. I need an environment that is allowing me to be creative. Not make me feel like I'm going to loose my cheek bones because I have to smile.

Anyone else?

I'm having a hard time with majoring in anything either. I don't know if its me, or if its the way the classes are being taught. I was pretty sure I wanted to be an investigative journalist. But when I got into the classes. I couldn't stand it. The stress of it all, it was overwhelming, it was giving me anxiety. But the teacher focused mainly on one style of writing....for newspapers. The teacher also craved mental masturbation for his ego. And he was always upset at for me, for reasons I didn't know. So I decided I wasn't going to major in journalism.

I want to try computer engineering, but am afraid it will turn out just like journalism.

Anyone else?

Am I just not fit for society?

Why am I facing a lot of these potholes?

Is it me or is it them? Is it a combination?

What is wrong with me? Why cannot I make a decision in college and stick with it? What do you tell people when they notice you are jumping around different major classes?

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 4:54 am

Pandora_Box wrote:
The thing with college is I feel its frowned upon for me to ask questions. I have a natural curiosity and love applying knowledge I know beforehand and building it ontop of what I'm learning in question. If I ask a question applying knowledge of beforehand and the knowledge given to me, many of the teachers appear offended or upset that I asked it. Even worse is some teachers dismiss what I say as merely I made a mistake in my question.

Anyone else?

I was like that, and i was reminded of it because i have started homeschooling my 9y old AS son, and he will not listen to what i have to say until his preliminary questions are answered. We jumped from multiplication tables to equations in 2 minutes because he was asking me how come in the table of 2 the results are 2 away from each other, so if i hadn't explained ( as in: (3x2)= (1x2)+(2x2) ) he wouldn't have even wanted to learn multiplication tables. So instead of doing that, we kept on resolving equations unrelated to the multiplication tables, because he found it amusing to come to the conclusion that 6=6 ( he laughed his head off at this) , and we will learn the multiplication tables another day.
The thing is, if all the other students in your class are not interrested, the teacher is just loosing time by explaining things to you that do not belong in the current lesson :)

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 5:05 am

ediself wrote:
I was like that, and i was reminded of it because i have started homeschooling my 9y old AS son, and he will not listen to what i have to say until his preliminary questions are answered. We jumped from multiplication tables to equations in 2 minutes because he was asking me how come in the table of 2 the results are 2 away from each other, so if i hadn't explained ( as in: (3x2)= (1x2)+(2x2) ) he wouldn't have even wanted to learn multiplication tables. So instead of doing that, we kept on resolving equations unrelated to the multiplication tables, because he found it amusing to come to the conclusion that 6=6 ( he laughed his head off at this) , and we will learn the multiplication tables another day.
The thing is, if all the other students in your class are not interrested, the teacher is just loosing time by explaining things to you that do not belong in the current lesson :)

Well not an example. Basically here is an example, a teacher read an article. Now the underline terms and what the article was saying fit perfectly to what I told the teacher.

The teacher asked, "What are people's opinions on this? Do you agree or disagree with the article? Why? "

Everyone was disagreeing with the article. I raise my hand and reply.

"I agree with the article, because basically its saying there is no such thing as true objectivity in a news environment,"

The teacher replied, "Well that isn't what we were talking about,"

But all the kids had been throwing in how objectivity was his job, so one it was on topic, two he had asked people's opinions, and three I stated my opinion. Is that not good enough?

------

Or another example was, we were going to write an article on an event. Well people were saying:

Girl 1, "Can I do one on my Christian festival at my church? I'm volunteering and can talk to people,"

Teacher, "Absolutely,"

Boy 1, "I'm going to a party and want to write about that,"

Teacher, "Sure,"

Girl 2, "My sister is having a baby shower,"

Teacher, "All of these are great ideas,"

I raise my hand.

"I was heading to a scooter club meetup, its my first time there and just heard of it and decided to write about it,"

Teacher replies, "Are you sure you can write while being an active member of the group?"

[bold and italized what he said because he really did yell. One of my friends in class agreed that he did yell at me.]

So all the other students were okay being active members of a party, of a baby showering, volunteering for a Christian meetup, etc. But me going to a scooter club meetup is...heresy.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 5:50 am

Teachers ignored me and rarely let me ask anything. My fellow students kept asking the wrong questions, and I had to save mine to figure them out myself at home. Teachers often expressed per voice and how they approached me that they didnt like me, like kind of aggressive/annoyed compared to how they approached other students. As if I would express something that deserves that kind of treatment.

Finally a teacher was the reason that I couldnt graduate. He told me in the beginning of the year (the second week) that he would give me the lowest grade. The story is longer, but this was the main thing that happened, so after this I found out how easy it can be to learn something when there are no distracting teachers or slow students interfering with it, and I finally graduated by distant learning, and taking the exam independently at another school.

I remember that the teachers often talked very unclear and confusing, so that I constantly had to gather the relevant information which often was given in a wrong sequence, and listening to the person was full of superfluous information, mixed with what I needed to know and not to forget, their personal habits, needs and points of view.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 4:21 pm

Maje wrote:
Teachers ignored me and rarely let me ask anything. My fellow students kept asking the wrong questions, and I had to save mine to figure them out myself at home. Teachers often expressed per voice and how they approached me that they didnt like me, like kind of aggressive/annoyed compared to how they approached other students. As if I would express something that deserves that kind of treatment.

Finally a teacher was the reason that I couldnt graduate. He told me in the beginning of the year (the second week) that he would give me the lowest grade. The story is longer, but this was the main thing that happened, so after this I found out how easy it can be to learn something when there are no distracting teachers or slow students interfering with it, and I finally graduated by distant learning, and taking the exam independently at another school.

I remember that the teachers often talked very unclear and confusing, so that I constantly had to gather the relevant information which often was given in a wrong sequence, and listening to the person was full of superfluous information, mixed with what I needed to know and not to forget, their personal habits, needs and points of view.

Exactly. Sometimes I wish they would just use the specific terms.

You have vocab in the book, use the dictionary explanations and use the specific terms.