Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2011, 3:02 pm

I always disliked sports and was one of the last chosen for teams.

But.

Just once or twice in my life I had the chance to be in a team with people who were poorly co-ordinated and socially awkward like me
and I absolutely loved it. I felt a sense of belonging and camaraderie. It ended all too soon. This was a real eye-opener. No wonder NTs love sport!

I wish there were enough people like me in any one place to form a team :(

Have you had an experience like this?

dreamcaster85
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2011, 3:06 pm

I was ALWAYS chosen last on teams during gym lol a lot of it too was probably social-related because I was always a loner and shy and didn't have many friends. The only sport I was really good at was horseback riding because you don't have to play with other people :)

7Theresa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2011, 4:15 pm

I've also always been bad at sports - as a child I was diagnosed with a "delay of motor development". The only kinds of sports I like somewhat are swimming and badminton (I also like hiking, but I don't really consider that sports). I've never had the chance to do sports with a group of people whose skills where just as lacking as mine. But since the beginning of this grade, I'm in a Physical Education course with different students and a new teacher - and while I still don't like it, I can stand it now.

I think that's partially because my skills have improved and partially because I'm now playing sports with people who are quite considerate - the teacher is aware that some people are just bad at sports and it's not laziness and there are two girls who help me by gently correcting my mistakes and make me feel less self-conscious.

Now, during a ball game, there are moments where I actually know what to do and actually think it's fun. I think it's similar to your experience, Chickenbird - "No wonder so many people love sport!" (I don't write "NTs" because I don't think being bad at sports and therefore disliking it is a problem only people on the autism spectrum can have. I, for example, might not be fully NT (I don't know), but I'm quite sure that I could not be diagnosed with Asperger's or anything related.)

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 5:01 pm

I think that it goes without saying that most of us wouldn't touch (team) sports with a barge pole.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 6:10 pm

I dislike extreme sports and cage boxing.