Making things for a hobby, what do I do with them then?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ponies
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2011, 2:59 am

I've watched a couple of youtube clips lately about making little handmade toys and notebook covers and things and they look like a nice stress relief type of project, but what am I supposed to do with them afterwards?

The actual making of them I would find relaxing and fun, as I had always enjoyed making things as a child but I don't really have a use for "tizzy" things. Do I just give them away to people I know, or sell on ebay?

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 3:11 am

Give the items to friends as gifts, or simply hoard them.

deadinhead
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 4:08 am

give them away to people you know who might actually like having such objects.... :D ...

COCONUT-MOON TURTLE!

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2011, 4:17 am

Consider donating them to a worthy charity, like a shelter, retirement home, foster care, etc.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 4:52 am

oooh I LOVE making things! But I don't know what to do with them either! Either make them as a present, or make them on t-shirts that you can wear :D

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 5:04 am

If you get good enough you can sell them on Etsy - the place for selling handmade stuff. Many people there aren't selling for profit, but sharing what they created. Of course if you get really good you can start selling them for profit, too. I've bought many things off Etsy and most are up to expectations. Some are very cool and I didn't even know they existed. :)

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 7:16 am

maybe u could sell them to raise money for charity.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 7:31 am

I'm lucky enough to own a home and have my own room filled with stuff I've built. It looks really impressive to anyone who visits.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 7:36 am

Have a look at http://www.etsy.com/

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 4:17 pm

ponies wrote:
The actual making of them I would find relaxing and fun, as I had always enjoyed making things as a child but I don't really have a use for "tizzy" things. Do I just give them away to people I know, or sell on ebay?

You can make things that build a collection - I make papertoys ( http://www.vinylpulse.com/paper_toys/ ) just for the fun of it, and the most interesting recent ones are on a little shelf. If it was whittling wood (see Flexcut http://www.flexcut.com/ ) then you could make things that last well - perhaps even chess sets, or the characters from books, bowls or carved boxes.

I also make jam and pickle - it fulfils some primitive need to see a whole shelf stocked with tasty things, which also make good gifts.