Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 628

15 Jan 2011, 9:18 am

I am wondering what the process in England, UK is.

I'm not asking you to diagnose me, but I'd like to know how the system works, what difficulties I might encounter in the process, what I should expect, how long it might take, ect.

(Edited to remove rambling, which is a trait of mine when nervous (about posting, in this case).)


User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2010
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,569

15 Jan 2011, 4:28 pm

I am not sure, assuming you are an undiagnosed adult - most people seem to be diagnosed either because they have been identified during school, or because they are identified as adults with a psychiatric condition, such as depression.

If you are in education (by far the easiest) then contact a special needs teacher, student counsellor, educational psychology service or whatever is available. If there is a teacher or tutor who you are comfortable talking with, then ask that person to put you on the right course.

If you have left education then you probably need to ask your GP for a referral to a psychiatrist or psychologist for an assessment, or contact any psychiatric service you have already had treatment from.

It is not easy, and some people end up going through private assessment - you might get some contact details of assessors from either a local charity or the National Autistic Society ... dults.aspx