Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:25 pm

I know a lot of us have sensory issues with smells. I came out of my room and smelled something strong. Mom kept denying it she said I was crazy. Then she said the 9 year olds perfume fell and busted so THAT was what I was smelling! Mom says It smells good. IMO ICK!! !! ! I can barely stand to go down the detergent aisle or candle shops!! ! I personally have worn some perfumes but not many and I'm not feminie in that way (makeup/perfume and such) :-)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:30 pm

My sympathy--and yes, I have the same problem. I can't concentrate on things when I'm smelling perfume. Unscented everything solves part of the problem, thankfully, and the rest of it is unwilling contact with people who wear perfume, most of the time I can just back away and keep contact short... Too bad, many of them are nice people.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:31 pm

I've heard this before. I have it with pungent scent blocks.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:33 pm

It was a small glass bottle that fell off a dresser and broke and yet the stench fills up the WHOLE HOUSE! ICK! (Which is why my door is closed but it usually is anyway.) But the smell is NOW throughout the whole house minus my room. :-) ICK!! !! GAG!! !

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:37 pm

I also need to get away from people who wear perfume, because orelse I will be sick or have an headache. I mostly feel offended by people with too much perfume, because they use it to smell good for other people, and then they dont consider that they might hurt some people with it.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:49 pm

Just from the title, I knew who wrote this thread. Not the perfume, but the ICK! really did it.

Hap
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jan 2011, 1:50 pm

This reminds me of the time when I was about 15 and my mother when out at night, leaving me at home alone. But not before she had sprayed this horrible perfume inside the house, expecting a goodbye kiss even after she had put that stuff on. Then she would leave the house, leaving me in that horrible smell.

I have got hayfever now, and during the season I am really allergic to perfume as well. Takes my breath away. It's chemical warfare I tell you!

pnd3376534
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2011, 1:56 pm

I am the same way. I can take the detergent aisle but the dryer sheets get a bit too strong for me. I like the smell of certain perfumes but just a tiny whiff of it. I know not to wear them because the smell will irritate me just after a couple of minutes. Then I get a headache and then I try to wash it off my skin but it never comes off! 8O Some perfumes are okay in moderation, like smelling it on other people, but the perfumes the elderly wear are usually unbearable! I can tolerate men's cologne much better :)

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:02 pm

Hating on perfumes is always fun...a chance to use up the breath I've saved when walking past candle shops. :)

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:03 pm

I actually love the smell of perfumes (at least many of them) and when I'm wearing a perfume I keep sniffing it because for me it's a pleasant sensation. Actually I've been doing it all day today, because I tried a new perfume at a store I went to.

Strangely though, I'm very sensitive to the smell of various other cosmetic products and detergents, like soaps, shampoos, cremes, cleaning detergents and such. There are so many smells that I really can't stand, so I have to check the smell of all such products before I use them and will avoid everything that doesn't have a tolerable smell. I even have trouble being near other people who use certain types of cosmetics that smell particularly bad (for example I always avoid my father when he uses a certain moisturizing creme, because the smell makes me gag).

I really hate the smell of candles and can barely walk through stores that have them.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:06 pm

Scented detergents, "air fresheners," scented oils and many perfumes cause symptoms from a tickling nose to actual gagging in my case, yet I enjoy some perfumes, use incense and slap on aftershave. The difference seems to be between cheap, mass-produced scent and something of better quality. It may be that artificial scents are more likely to offend. Another problem is that perfumes used to come in containers that let you decide the amount to apply, but now most come in a spray form no doubt designed to empty the container as soon as possible.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 2:06 pm

Mindslave wrote:
Just from the title, I knew who wrote this thread. Not the perfume, but the ICK! really did it.

LOL! Great!! ! :-)

matt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 5:12 pm

I don't understand why other people think that perfume smells good.

It does not. It smells like strong chemicals and it burns to breathe when I am around it.

The same is true for strong-scented cleaners and air "fresheners", which usually smell a lot worse than whatever they're trying to cover up.

Good smells are things like real cinnamon, real fruit, and real pumpkin pie. Not fake smells(which almost never smell like the smell their developers were trying to approximate) and not strong chemical smells.

Trying to cover up bad smells with perfume is like trying to cover a fart smell by setting off a nuclear bomb.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 6:02 am

Perfumes, body sprays, air 'fresheners', etc. are all absolutely intolerable to me. They make my chest feel tight and my breathing short. 'Floral' perfumes smell nothing like flowers.

I only once encountered someone wearing a nice scent, a girl I sat behind on a bus. I believe it must have been some kind of natural oil, because it really did smell exactly like a beautiful rose. I could have sniffed her all day!

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2011, 11:25 am

So this sensitivity is an aspie thing? When I used to go to malls (had kids to buy for, so I had to) I had to avoid many stores for fragrance reason. I too can't understand how some people think these smells are a good thing, and in the last ten years or so, overuse of personal fragrances has become so common. The last job I had (waitress, small town) this one woman who just thought she was so above everyone wore this stuff that you could smell from across the room, and it was like bug spray mixed with pine cleaner.
Once, years ago, was in an elevator at work (big office building), woman got on, positively reeked, thought I was going to pass out, got off the elevator with a co worker, and I said (blurted out) "guess Clinique had a give away". We were not in ear shot of the woman wearing all that crap, but my co worker was shocked, like it was the most rude thing to say, and I couldn't believe she was ok with having to breath in all that stuff.

I think there ought to be perfume police giving out fines! Woman at the grocery store the other day sure needed someone to let her know.

Many years ago, while looking for a job, was called by a woman who wanted me to come in for an interview, but gave me a long list of "don'ts", no perfumes, powers, fruity shampoos or hair products, no denim (denim dresses and jumpers were big at the time), and there was more, but I can't remember all of it. Said the boss had "allergies" (to DENIM???), maybe he was an aspie!

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2011, 3:55 pm

When I was younger, my carsickness would usually be triggered by perfumes and aftershaves and such. The main problem was the enclosed space and the airflow. Most of the time the air from the front airvents would be passing the front seats and then just circulate at the rear seats causing all of the smell to be concentrated where I sat. After 30 minutes to an hour of this torment I would get sick.

later, however I learned to counter the smell of perfume with a fart... farts smell better than pungent perfume in my experience

today, I can't breathe whenever I am near a perfumed individual unless the smell isn't pungent and stings in my nose...

that and cheese... just can't stand the smell of cheese :x