If God exist why are there ugly,stupid people.

Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

17 Jan 2011, 8:36 am

Azolet has to be right, if you believe in God. If you don't, you can argue that genetic variability, which includes all the different variables of human appearance, is just how evolution works. (Me, I think a lot of the anomalies in the universe, including what we humans see as 'bad' stuff - which may only be bad from our species' point of view; an influenza epidemic is great for the 'flu virus even if it kills a bunch of us! - are easily accounted for from a spiritual point of view if you accept that there's no logical reason for any creator deity to have been 'perfect'. Maybe s/he is doing the best they can, who knows?)

As for 'ugliness', from a human, moral viewpoint, it does help you weed out the a-holes. If someone makes themselves out to be nice, liberal, accepting of racial and sexual and all other variations, but treats another human being like crud because they don't come up to their fine esthetic sensibilities...you know a little more about what they're really like. Not that that has anything to do with the actual question of why are there 'ugly' people, but it's one knock-on effect of it. Animals will reject and sometimes kill a member of the pack who doesn't look like the others; we, as humans with the power of reason, are worth more than that.

Anyway, as the great Spike Milligan said: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Get it out with Optrex. :mrgreen:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 8:47 am

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Azolet has to be right, if you believe in God. If you don't, you can argue that genetic variability, which includes all the different variables of human appearance, is just how evolution works. (Me, I think a lot of the anomalies in the universe, including what we humans see as 'bad' stuff - which may only be bad from our species' point of view; an influenza epidemic is great for the 'flu virus even if it kills a bunch of us! - are easily accounted for from a spiritual point of view if you accept that there's no logical reason for any creator deity to have been 'perfect'. Maybe s/he is doing the best they can, who knows?)

As for 'ugliness', from a human, moral viewpoint, it does help you weed out the a-holes. If someone makes themselves out to be nice, liberal, accepting of racial and sexual and all other variations, but treats another human being like crud because they don't come up to their fine esthetic sensibilities...you know a little more about what they're really like. Not that that has anything to do with the actual question of why are there 'ugly' people, but it's one knock-on effect of it. Animals will reject and sometimes kill a member of the pack who doesn't look like the others; we, as humans with the power of reason, are worth more than that.

Anyway, as the great Spike Milligan said: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Get it out with Optrex. :mrgreen:

Even the most superficial glance at humanity, now and throughout history, can see that reason is not the most powerful influence on the species and our worth varies with what our values may be. Reason obviously is not held in high regard by a large sector even at this site.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 10:01 am

Sand wrote:

Even the most superficial glance at humanity, now and throughout history, can see that reason is not the most powerful influence on the species and our worth varies with what our values may be. Reason obviously is not held in high regard by a large sector even at this site.

Reason exists, but it is subservient to the passions. A point made several times by David Hume.

ruveyn

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 10:18 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Reason exists, but it is subservient to the passions. A point made several times by David Hume.

ruveyn
Yeah, reason is a means to emotion. Even those who brag about how rational they are do so to satisfy themselves emotionally, so emotion and logic is a false dichotomy. Irrationality is taking the shortest route to satisfying your emotions, not being influenced by emotions.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 11:44 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

ruveyn
Yeah, reason is a means to emotion. Even those who brag about how rational they are do so to satisfy themselves emotionally, so emotion and logic is a false dichotomy. Irrationality is taking the shortest route to satisfying your emotions, not being influenced by emotions.

Reason is a wonderful master but a dreadful servant.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 3:37 pm

Lincoln said "god loves common looking people. Why do you think he made so many of them?"

The bible says "God made man in his image". So God himself must be rather dorky looking.

Ugly and dumb makes you most like God's favorite creatures, which Huxley observed were "beetles".

He made more (both in number and in variety) of them than of anything else.

Maybe god is really a giant dung beetle! And creation is a giant brown ball being englessly rolled by God.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 1:00 am

locster wrote:
ApsieGuy wrote:
What a crappy way to go through life?

I have a facially ugly friend I eat lunch with every other day at work. He has massive social anxiety problems due to his face.

What did he do to deserve that? Someone give me a logical explanation. He is a good guy.

Hi,

He got handed a bum set of numbers in the genetic lottery; That's basically what it comes down to.

The historical notion of gods as sentient beings is the result of millenia of searching for answers without good tools or knowledge to answer them. That era has ended. The notion of gods as sentient overseeing beings no more fits the available observations than the notion of a great overseeing plate of spaghetti.

Take care,

locster

I don't think this thread is really about God. Judging by the OP's other posts, I would say he started it more to gripe about his own life than to start an interesting philosophical debate.

Last edited by LordoftheMonkeys on 18 Jan 2011, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 1:03 am

ApsieGuy wrote:
If you are going to test the beings of earth, why not give them equal tools to work with?

Is it fair to give someone 30 minutes on a test while another person gets 60 pending they don't have learning disabilities.

I'm not saying make everyone look the same. I'm saying why not make everyone look normal with a few slight deviations.

That same logic applies man

I'm sorry, not everyone can be beautiful and intelligent like me.

Last edited by LordoftheMonkeys on 18 Jan 2011, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 1:05 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Without ugly stupid people we wouldn't know how big an ass hole smart beautiful people can be.

As a smart, beautiful as*hole, I agree with this. 8)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 1:38 am

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Without ugly stupid people we wouldn't know how big an ass hole smart beautiful people can be.

As a smart, beautiful as*hole, I agree with this. 8)[/quote

At this point you have demonstrated neither intellect nor beauty. The rest is obvious.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 1:48 am

Sand wrote:
LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

As a smart, beautiful as*hole, I agree with this. 8)

At this point you have demonstrated neither intellect nor beauty. The rest is obvious.

But I'm a Linux user, which means I'm more geeky than most other people, and therefore smarter. And I know I'm beautiful, because when I look at my reflection in the mirror, my pupils dilate (oh, yeah, and I've also been told I'm good-looking, yadda-yadda...). As for being an as*hole, it's what I am whether I want to be one or not.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 1:05 pm

The question is just a variation on the why do bad things happen to good people question.

Why did god create autism/asperger's?

Answer that first for this crowd first before you go on to other kinds of handicaps.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 2:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The question is just a variation on the why do bad things happen to good people question.

Answer that first for this crowd first before you go on to other kinds of handicaps.

As I said, he's not actually trying to spark a discussion. He just made this thread to bit¢h about his life. My suspicion is that ApsieGuy feels insecure about his own looks, intelligence, and sex appeal, and is merely using his friend as a facade. That's just my take on the issue.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 10:10 am

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

As I said, he's not actually trying to spark a discussion. He just made this thread to bit¢h about his life. My suspicion is that ApsieGuy feels insecure about his own looks, intelligence, and sex appeal, and is merely using his friend as a facade. That's just my take on the issue.
I don't think he's using his friend as a facade, but yeah this thread was definitely created out of insecurity.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 10:49 am

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:

Ha! Love it :lmao:

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2011, 7:54 am

ApsieGuy wrote:
What a crappy way to go through life?

I have a facially ugly friend I eat lunch with every other day at work. He has massive social anxiety problems due to his face.

What did he do to deserve that? Someone give me a logical explanation. He is a good guy.

I don't know if you're joking with these threads or not, but yeah, stop.