Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

verbal0rchid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2011, 7:28 am

No one ever believes me when I tell them I'm 37, lol.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 7:56 am

Nobody believed I was 21 until I was way over that age. Now I have my revenge. I'm almost 50 and nobody believes my age. Ha!

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2011, 8:08 am

I typically get judged as sixteen/seventeen. I'm twenty-five. I have a response ready that seems to satisfy most people though - I work out how to smile, then say "yeah, I better get the good end of this when I'm 45, eh."
I'm very small, though, and I think that small equates as young with most people. Also, as mentioned, when not required to act normal, many aspies, myself included, lack facial expression, so maybe that cuts down in lines. Who knows.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 8:52 am

People think Im 22 - 25. It doesnt bother me at all 8)

Gallygun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2011, 9:18 am

When I was in my early 20's, I had a gentleman ask me if I was 16 yet 8O It was a Christmas church service, and if you weren't 16, you couldn't use a real candle. I told him my age and he seemed quite mortified :flower:

When I was in karate, I had an instructor ask me my age (which was 16 at the time), I told him my age, and he said I looked like I was 11-12.

When I go shopping with my mom (I'm still only 23, I think that's OK for a little while longer =D) store clerks have no problem addressing her, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they don't even look my way because they think I'm "the kid who just wanted to be with her mother". THAT makes me mad since I'm a paying customer as well!! !

I think that what causes it is the social and emotional immaturity that is present with AS, the fact that, at least for me, I don't dress very feminine or wear makeup (which a lot of women with AS don't do, according to the women's forum here), and probably the fact that I still hang out with my mom a lot as opposed to my own (non-existent) friends doesn't help either.

I keep telling people that I can't wait until I get crow's feet; THEN I might look legal! But then I looked into the mirror one day and saw the beginnings of crow's feet . . . it was a sad day indeed D: