Martin Luther King, Jr. Day means what to you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:05 pm

Tomorrow, Monday, January 17, 2011 is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in the USA. What does King Day mean to you? Personally I feel King belongs on Mt. Rushmore (although King is not a president). That is how large his positive contribution to American society has been. Your view? Experiences?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:15 pm

King was a communist subversive that was financed in part by the Soviet embassy. King should be forgotten and the efforts of the entire equal rights movement should be emphasized in his place.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

R_odin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2011, 7:10 pm

Is this day like a counter-balance to General Lee (birth)day and his cause?

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 7:19 pm

it means to me a day of remembrance to a fallen hero.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 7:37 pm

A day without mail.

ruveyn

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 7:44 pm

It used to be a day off of school, but these days I only even remember it if it's pointed out to me. Then again, I feel the same way about most minor holidays that don't involve specific celebrations.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 8:39 pm

I think that Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a good time to reflect upon his very moving oratory "I have a dream" speech. His great speech caught the attention of the entire nation back in the late '60s, and I believe that its influence is still felt today.
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeche ... dream2.htm

Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 8:45 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
it means to me a day of remembrance to a fallen hero.

Agreed. He is proof the US can be what it wants to be.

Was not spoken of the soul.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 2:11 am

JetLag wrote:
I think that Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a good time to reflect upon his very moving oratory "I have a dream" speech. His great speech caught the attention of the entire nation back in the late '60s, and I believe that its influence is still felt today.

Some Great Speech. It was hot air. What has come of it?

ruveyn

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 3:06 am

ruveyn wrote:
JetLag wrote:

Some Great Speech. It was hot air. What has come of it?

ruveyn

You and I may differ in opinion, but personally, I feel that the obsolescence of the practice of turning fire hoses on fellow Americans is a pretty powerful result (not that the speech alone was what caused it, of course, but I'd say it certainly contributed).

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 7:13 am

It means nothing to me personally, as that guy hasn't affected my life the slighest. On a bigger, more ideological scale - it's awesome. :roll:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 8:34 am

John_Browning wrote:
King was a communist subversive that was financed in part by the Soviet embassy. King should be forgotten and the efforts of the entire equal rights movement should be emphasized in his place.

It's delightful you have irrevocably confirmed the you really are a right wing nut as you claim.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 9:14 am

Sand wrote:
John_Browning wrote:

It's delightful you have irrevocably confirmed the you really are a right wing nut as you claim.

^My thoughts exactly.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 9:32 am

TechnicalPacifist wrote:
Sand wrote:
John_Browning wrote:

^My thoughts exactly.

And right-wingers wonder why some people get the impression that they are racist.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 9:46 am

Chevand wrote:

You and I may differ in opinion, but personally, I feel that the obsolescence of the practice of turning fire hoses on fellow Americans is a pretty powerful result (not that the speech alone was what caused it, of course, but I'd say it certainly contributed).

"Not that the speech caused it..." You make my point. Thank you.

ruveyn

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 11:38 am

pgd wrote:
Tomorrow, Monday, January 17, 2011 is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in the USA. What does King Day mean to you? Personally I feel King belongs on Mt. Rushmore (although King is not a president). That is how large his positive contribution to American society has been. Your view? Experiences?

Dr. Martin Luther King-dom topic

Fascinating, a great orator (his Dream speech always gives me the shivers!). Like many philanthropic activist historical personalities, he had feet of clay, which is not surprising, and some of his personal views and choices I do not share.

That King ironically died violently despite his pacifism makes his memory both tragic and heroic.

His wife, Coretta Scott King, had the patience to deal with her husband's, er, quirks. Not something I would do. But all in all, his courage and resilience to dare to dream made him an inspirational star. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo