AS Support and Social Groups In Your Cities and Towns

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2011, 1:43 am

Hello fellow Aspies (and to NTs as well) reading this.....

I'm starting up a support group/social group for fellow Aspies in my community in early March. Support group will meet monthly. Social group yet to be determined. Depending on how many people will be part of the social group, and the ages of everyone in the group. I may have one AS social group for adults without children, and one for all AS. Could be once a month for everyone, to at least once a month for different age groups or other groups. This will be a support/social group for adults only. There's a parent group for kids who have AS in the city here. So, my focus will be on adults only.

I will have a list of the house rules developed in the next few weeks. If you <1> live within hour's radius of Chattanooga, Tennessee, <2> have been officially or self diagnosed with AS, <3> are 25 years of age or older, and <4> feel that attending an AS support/social group will benefit you, please email me from here and I'll email you back when the time is closer to tell you more about the group. Anyone who is interested in the group will need to go through an interview process with me first, before I admit you to the group. The group is private, and is only AS related.

Other than that, I am interested to hear from other Aspies and NTs about AS support and social groups in your town or city. Where could I get information about those organizations?

Thanks,
Jazz

Dx'd with AS and AD/HD Combined in 2007

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus

iamworthy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2011, 9:58 am

I am guessing this will not post since I am new. I wanted to ask you if you could help me to know how to set up a group in my area. I would appreciate that if you could. Susan

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2011, 10:29 pm

iamworthy wrote:
I am guessing this will not post since I am new. I wanted to ask you if you could help me to know how to set up a group in my area. I would appreciate that if you could. Susan

Hi Susan....

Thanks for your interest in starting a group. I think it's admirable that you wish to do something as such, and in giving back to your community. I'm in the beginning stages of the planning, so this is what I am doing so far. First, social networking. I'm looking at sites like Facebook (www.facebook.com), MeetUp (www.meetup.com), and here to promote my new group. Second, I'm looking locally. The local paper. Alternative publications. Something that will allow people to think, "I should consider attending this, because I feel this group could be for me." Third, the local board of directors of the local autism center. These board members are the "shakers" and "movers" in the city here - key individuals to getting what I want. I will be meeting with the board on January 27th about my ideas. If things go well as I anticipate they will, I will have a place for an adult AS support group to meet regularly. I am excited about all of this, and will see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2011, 5:34 pm

If you go to meetup.com, you can type in your location and do a search for aspergers and see if there is one in your area.

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2011, 10:39 pm

Sahmiam wrote:
If you go to meetup.com, you can type in your location and do a search for aspergers and see if there is one in your area.

Oh, I know there's one in my area now. because I just created a MeetUp site :)