Does the repeal of Dont ask dont tell apply to AS?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,808
Location: not here

18 Jan 2011, 8:42 am

clumsybee wrote:
Hmm ... I assume the reason autistics are left out is because of the stereotypes out there most people believe. I think this should be on an individual basis, since not all autistics are exactly the same. But that won't happen.


Yeah, I agree with this.


_________________
I don't post here anymore. If you want to talk to me, go to the WP Facebook group or my Last.fm account.


Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,587
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Jan 2011, 2:31 pm

Mysty wrote:
It didn't require denying one's sexuality. It simply required not expressing it. Straight people go around not expressing that they are straight quite often. The difference with don't ask don't tell is that the homosexuals had to always be in that don't express your sexuality mode. Something that's normal for everyone as a some of the time thing, they had to do all the time.


This isn't true. Straight people express their sexuality all the time. It's simply that since being straight is assumed to be normal that people do not question it, but any expression of same-sex attractions is considered unusual and noteworthy.



Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,999

18 Jan 2011, 11:00 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Mysty wrote:
It didn't require denying one's sexuality. It simply required not expressing it. Straight people go around not expressing that they are straight quite often. The difference with don't ask don't tell is that the homosexuals had to always be in that don't express your sexuality mode. Something that's normal for everyone as a some of the time thing, they had to do all the time.


This isn't true. Straight people express their sexuality all the time. It's simply that since being straight is assumed to be normal that people do not question it, but any expression of same-sex attractions is considered unusual and noteworthy.


Straight people express their sexuality all the time? Really? I guess I'm not straight then. Because I'm not expressing my sexuality right now. I don't express it while I sleep. I rarely if ever express it at work. So, since, according to you, I'm not straight, because I don't express my sexuality all the time, what am I?


_________________
not aspie, not NT, somewhere in between
Aspie Quiz: 110 Aspie, 103 Neurotypical.
Used to be more autistic than I am now.


Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,587
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Jan 2011, 11:31 pm

Mysty wrote:
Straight people express their sexuality all the time? Really? I guess I'm not straight then. Because I'm not expressing my sexuality right now. I don't express it while I sleep. I rarely if ever express it at work. So, since, according to you, I'm not straight, because I don't express my sexuality all the time, what am I?


Well, let's back up a bit: What do you consider expressing your sexuality? What is it that straight people are always silent about that gay, lesbian, and bisexual people talk too much about?



Last edited by Verdandi on 19 Jan 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,999

19 Jan 2011, 6:23 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Mysty wrote:
Straight people express their sexuality all the time? Really? I guess I'm not straight then. Because I'm not expressing my sexuality right now. I don't express it while I sleep. I rarely if ever express it at work. So, since, according to you, I'm not straight, because I don't express my sexuality all the time, what am I?


Well, let's back up a bit: What do you consider expressing your sexuality? What is it that straight people are always silent about that gay, lesbian, and bisexual people talk too much about?


Is that question meant for me? Because you seem to be combining stuff I said with stuff I never expressed. I certainly never said straight people are "always" anything. Just that we aren't always expressing our sexuality. And I never, said, nor implied, nor came anywhere close to expressing, the idea that gay, lesbian, or bisexual people talk about anything too much.

What do I consider expressing my sexuality? Exactly that. There's no other way to word it. One could ask what I think sexuality is, but that doesn't seem to be your question.

Expressing one's sexuality is expressing the sexual parts of the self.

I was taking about the distinction between denying one's sexuality, and not expressing it.

When I go to the grocery store, I don't express my sexuality. It's not a part of me that gets expressed as part of the scenario of going to the store, picking out items, paying for items, puting items in car, and going home. No one can tell if I'm straight or gay. But I haven't denied anything. I just haven't expressed it.

The issue with don't ask don't tell is that gays were asked to never express their sexuality, unlike heterosexuals, who are, instead, asked to not express it at inappropriate times nor in inappropriate ways.


_________________
not aspie, not NT, somewhere in between
Aspie Quiz: 110 Aspie, 103 Neurotypical.
Used to be more autistic than I am now.


Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,587
Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Jan 2011, 6:55 pm

Mysty wrote:
Is that question meant for me? Because you seem to be combining stuff I said with stuff I never expressed. I certainly never said straight people are "always" anything. Just that we aren't always expressing our sexuality. And I never, said, nor implied, nor came anywhere close to expressing, the idea that gay, lesbian, or bisexual people talk about anything too much.


You know, I actually misread what you said. I'm sorry about that.