Does the repeal of Dont ask dont tell apply to AS?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 11:00 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Mysty wrote:
It didn't require denying one's sexuality. It simply required not expressing it. Straight people go around not expressing that they are straight quite often. The difference with don't ask don't tell is that the homosexuals had to always be in that don't express your sexuality mode. Something that's normal for everyone as a some of the time thing, they had to do all the time.

This isn't true. Straight people express their sexuality all the time. It's simply that since being straight is assumed to be normal that people do not question it, but any expression of same-sex attractions is considered unusual and noteworthy.

Straight people express their sexuality all the time? Really? I guess I'm not straight then. Because I'm not expressing my sexuality right now. I don't express it while I sleep. I rarely if ever express it at work. So, since, according to you, I'm not straight, because I don't express my sexuality all the time, what am I?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Jan 2011, 11:31 pm

Mysty wrote:
Straight people express their sexuality all the time? Really? I guess I'm not straight then. Because I'm not expressing my sexuality right now. I don't express it while I sleep. I rarely if ever express it at work. So, since, according to you, I'm not straight, because I don't express my sexuality all the time, what am I?

Well, let's back up a bit: What do you consider expressing your sexuality? What is it that straight people are always silent about that gay, lesbian, and bisexual people talk too much about?

Last edited by Verdandi on 19 Jan 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2011, 6:23 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Mysty wrote:

Well, let's back up a bit: What do you consider expressing your sexuality? What is it that straight people are always silent about that gay, lesbian, and bisexual people talk too much about?

Is that question meant for me? Because you seem to be combining stuff I said with stuff I never expressed. I certainly never said straight people are "always" anything. Just that we aren't always expressing our sexuality. And I never, said, nor implied, nor came anywhere close to expressing, the idea that gay, lesbian, or bisexual people talk about anything too much.

What do I consider expressing my sexuality? Exactly that. There's no other way to word it. One could ask what I think sexuality is, but that doesn't seem to be your question.

Expressing one's sexuality is expressing the sexual parts of the self.

I was taking about the distinction between denying one's sexuality, and not expressing it.

When I go to the grocery store, I don't express my sexuality. It's not a part of me that gets expressed as part of the scenario of going to the store, picking out items, paying for items, puting items in car, and going home. No one can tell if I'm straight or gay. But I haven't denied anything. I just haven't expressed it.

The issue with don't ask don't tell is that gays were asked to never express their sexuality, unlike heterosexuals, who are, instead, asked to not express it at inappropriate times nor in inappropriate ways.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Jan 2011, 6:55 pm

Mysty wrote:
Is that question meant for me? Because you seem to be combining stuff I said with stuff I never expressed. I certainly never said straight people are "always" anything. Just that we aren't always expressing our sexuality. And I never, said, nor implied, nor came anywhere close to expressing, the idea that gay, lesbian, or bisexual people talk about anything too much.

You know, I actually misread what you said. I'm sorry about that.