Any aspies into metal? Favorite band?

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ipsen42
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2011, 4:31 pm

I got into metal when I was 15, System of a Down being the band that introduced me to the genre. Since then I've extensively expanded the lsit of bands that are on my playlist. Because metal has so many subgenres everyone can find at least one band they like. I prefer traditional heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden,...), Folk Metal (Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Eluveitie,...) and experimental stuff like Diablo Swing Orchestra.

And the thing about metal is, it's got a whole subculture associated with it, and it's one that, contrary to belief, is very approachable. You like the music, you're welcome. The fact that I like the overall atmosphere and aesthetic (grow my hair long, wear band shirts) is just another + for me. 8)
I'm a part of two friend "circles" right now, one is my band (we play folk metal, although we're on hiatus right now) and thei friends, the other my classmates at uni.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Jan 2011, 7:21 pm

I've been listening to alot of Opeth lately.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZR6eCzc2N0[/youtube]

:pig:

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 7:27 pm

I alone am fighting for metal that is true!

Allstar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2011, 8:06 pm

richardbenson wrote:
I've been listening to alot of Opeth lately.

Right on, brother!

One of the best closing songs to an album that I have ever heard is from them, and here is 'Weakness.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t17wNEdNJHY

asdmonger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2011, 8:52 pm

budgie! :bounce:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Jan 2011, 9:47 pm

Allstar wrote:
Right on, brother!

One of the best closing songs to an album that I have ever heard is from them, and here is 'Weakness.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t17wNEdNJHY

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew59UJASWYA[/youtube]

Awesome. this is by far my favorite Opeth song, simply amazing!

this YT video doesnt do it justice :pig:

Allstar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2011, 9:53 pm

richardbenson wrote:
Awesome. this is by far my favorite Opeth song, simply amazing!

Yep! This one kept me awake and safe on a very long road trip.

I have all Opeth albums. May they continue to make more.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:32 pm

I'm storming the castle, I have my sword, it's METALLLLLLL!! !
*cough*

I'm probably not that into metal, I'm more the rock/blues rock.
Metal bands I like; Iron Maiden and Metalica (the bands that got me into rock/metal), Led Zeppelin, Motörhead...but really I don't like bands as much as specific songs, or local bands no one has hear of, songs played at the rock clubs...or songs/bands my best friend makes me listen to. I'm not a big enough music fan to listen in such a way where you buy a bands new album and listen to it as an album, and I'm stuck in my ways and listen to music mostly when walking with my MP3 player, which means listening to music I know I like out of my limited collection, so actually remembering bands/songs I like is rare.

In my experience, Ipsen42, it can be more approachable for many but round here metal and rock fans are far more 'clicky'...specifically for those not ONLY into metal, etc. we're excluded as 'not rock enough' :roll:

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2011, 10:20 pm

Metallica
Rammstein
Megadeth
Guns N Roses (just kidding)
Motorhead

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 10:31 pm

Back in the day I listened to Judas Priest, Diamondhead, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Danzig, and whatever odd little EPs I could find. 80's Metallica was fantastic and I loved Anthrax. When I'd moved into Industrial, I hung out with the metalheads but there weren't any hardcore girls. They were all into Poison/Skid Row/Slaughter type crap. I mean, those are great boppy tunes and all but I wasn't into being a big-hair scantly-clad girl. So, I adopted some Grunge with my Industrial and listened to a lot of Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, Faith No More, Helmet, and... yeah, Nirvana and Hole, too. I saw Marilyn Manson in concert when he was just opening for Nine Inch Nails... before Trent Reznor got cliche and done.

I still listen to a lot of it in certain doses. But I'm mostly a country girl now (for the past 10 years).

edit to add Danzig. I don't know how I could overlook Danzig.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 11:01 pm

I happen to be listening to Fear Factory now
and Mastodon before that

Allstar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2011, 11:15 pm

wefunction wrote:
Back in the day I listened to Judas Priest, Diamondhead, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Danzig, and whatever odd little EPs I could find. 80's Metallica was fantastic and I loved Anthrax. When I'd moved into Industrial, I hung out with the metalheads but there weren't any hardcore girls. They were all into Poison/Skid Row/Slaughter type crap. I mean, those are great boppy tunes and all but I wasn't into being a big-hair scantly-clad girl. So, I adopted some Grunge with my Industrial and listened to a lot of Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, Faith No More, Helmet, and... yeah, Nirvana and Hole, too. I saw Marilyn Manson in concert when he was just opening for Nine Inch Nails... before Trent Reznor got cliche and done.

I still listen to a lot of it in certain doses. But I'm mostly a country girl now (for the past 10 years).

Right on. Yeah, I still gave Metallica a chance when they dropped Death Magnetic. Black Sabbath can still bang heads to this day. :twisted: Metalhead 'til I die.

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2011, 11:30 pm

wefunction wrote:

And did you perhaps, Bang Your Head? All that Metal Health, friend, did it...Drive You Mad?
Okay, now I can't resist.
Did you tell everyone that Nothing Else Matters? Did you ask your Mother "Am I Evil?" or get caught Breaking the Law? Maybe you had No Excuses.
Okay, I'll stop now. 8)
Anybody care to jump in?

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 11:59 pm

I'm mostly into industrial metal and nu-metal more than any of the other sub-genres of metal that are out there. Bands like Spineshank and Otep.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 11:34 am

mightypen515 wrote:
wefunction wrote:

And did you perhaps, Bang Your Head? All that Metal Health, friend, did it...Drive You Mad?
Okay, now I can't resist.
Did you tell everyone that Nothing Else Matters? Did you ask your Mother "Am I Evil?" or get caught Breaking the Law? Maybe you had No Excuses.
Okay, I'll stop now. 8)
Anybody care to jump in?

If you're bringing up Nothing Else Matters, You Got Another Think Comin'.

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2011, 8:11 am

Been running a metal webzine myself for over 5 years. Mostly into the more atmospheric stuff, I love black metal, doom, depressive, industrial, goth, gothic metal, anything with a shoegaze influence, ambient, etc. I like old school thrash but really the classic/heavy and power metal does nothing for me. I don't just listen to metal though and also enjoy a lot of trance, electro, hard house, and quite a lot of chart music especially with female vocals so I have pretty varied tastes really.