Are people sometimes envious/jealous of you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 2:43 pm

I often think I'm a total loser/clutz in social life because I don't how to act/behave, etc. and I get very anxious sometimes and thus I prefer to avoid people but my cousin told me that a lot people are envious of me because I can do stuff quite easily that they find very difficult (like university) and they get ticked off at me and want to see me me fail (and I have failed in real life) because it's unfair that such a social clutz should have certain abilities. Does this ring true for anyone? And do you feel more pressure because of it?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 2:46 pm

Everyone's jealous of my awesomeness ;)

Nah, in all seriousness, I'd be really surprised if anyone was jealous of me, though a few are probably jealous of my fine collection of technology.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Jan 2011, 2:51 pm

Kon wrote:
I often think I'm a total loser/clutz in social life because I don't how to act/behave, etc. and I get very anxious sometimes and thus I prefer to avoid people but my cousin told me that a lot people are envious of me because I can do stuff quite easily that they find very difficult (like university) and they get ticked off at me and want to see me me fail (and I have failed in real life) because it's unfair that such a social clutz should have certain abilities. Does this ring true for anyone? And do you feel more pressure because of it?

You mean the idea that you are "getting above your station" by being successful at something?

Yeah, I've come across that.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 2:55 pm

I wouldn't know. I doubt it. I'm awkward, say weird things, come off as condescending, and am terrible about keeping up friendships.

Nobody has ever told me they were envious of any traits I have, though they have said they liked certain things about me.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 2:55 pm

No one has tried putting me down because of it, but people are jealous of my artistic ability. They say "How on earth do you draw like that??" "I don't know. I just do." :lol: (Thinking: "AS")

nortier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2011, 2:56 pm

Kon wrote:
And do you feel more pressure because of it?

I feel and am regularly told that some relatives are envious of certain abilities that I have, that have only been able to come out at a later age (I have a high IQ but that was never noticed because I was working below my level and getting extremely unmotivated). Now that I'm in university and more successful than my cousin who used to be thought highly of, there have been some below the belt comments in the past.

My in-laws are all surprisingly supportive, though they mention my academic abilities (and sometimes IQ, which I think is worse) to others so often that it makes me feel like I have to say something smart every time I open my mouth. That is probably where the pressure sets in a little bit.

Do any of you have that thing with relatives, where there is genuine envy towards you because of this?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:00 pm

Probably. I've been told by my friends my enemies were jealous of me so that's why they were treating me like dirt. And my mom used to tell me kids in my school were jealous of me so that's why they were teasing me for no reason or making mean remarks to me about something.

I do know I made women on Babycenter jealous of me in a group so they decided to target me one day when I asked something. I didn't do it intentionally, I was just making posts and talked about my experience during pregnancy and how good it's been and I guess it made them jealous. They accused me of having a perfect body and were saying mean things and being rude and jerks. So I assume I probably made them jealous. When I see people being mean to someone about something good or about luck they have had, it spells out jealousy to me. Some people will try and make others feel bad for something just to make themselves feel better about themselves. I think my last ex may have been jealous of me so he had to be very negative towards me to make me feel bad about myself and he did a good job and have be believing I couldn't take care of myself or be on my own and that I was worse off than I really am.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:21 pm

Yes. And any little mistake would make some people virtually become delighted that they finally have a reason to put me in place; often in a overly degrading way. I dont experience this so often as I did in school, though it still sometimes happens.

iHateCamera
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2011, 3:27 pm

I have had people say to me that they are jealous of my ability to not care about peer pressure, and just do what I want and stick to my own values - which surprised me because I'd never thought about it like that. I have never felt the need or desire to conform and I find it easy to say no to things just because I have no interest in doing what everyone else is doing. Hearing that was one of the things that helped me realise that AS can not be all bad and in some ways is positive.
I've also had people be jealous of my art skills, because one thing I will admit I am good at is art, and I can express myself well through it, and I also make a lot of my own accessories and things.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:30 pm

Hmmm.... This question would require that I actually care what people think of me....

Let me think....

Uh.... Can't bring myself to care. :D :D :D ;)

Okay seriously. I am loved and supported by many people who claim they wish for my

1. Ability to focus
2. Ability to be logical versus emotional

Is that jealously? Nah. Just admiration of the good AS traits I think.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 3:50 pm

People were jealous of me until a couple years ago. Now they think they are better than me because I don't have a degree and they do. I'm still better than they are at just about everything, only they have a fancy piece of paper and I don't.