Page 2 of 4 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 6:46 am

Nereid wrote:
Smoking disgusts me and I cant understand knowing all the abominable side effects why so many people find it appealing.

Because it's pleasurable. People have unprotected sex knowing that there is a risk of STDs and unwanted pregnancy. People eat french fries and doughnuts knowing that these things are bad for their heart and weight. Most people are willing to do things which are bad for them if there is a pleasurable reward associated with it, especially if the negative consequences are far enough away that they seem irrelevant to the person's present self.

Suddenly I realize how boring I would seem to most people now; I barely do anything unhealthy. Almost everything I eat or drink is healthy, I don't smoke, don't do drugs (unless we're counting alcohol, and even then, I'm a red wine kind of girl), certainly don't have unprotected sex. I wonder at what point I became so wholesome.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 6:59 am

I tried hash once, but I will never smoke tobacco. I can understand why people use it, I don't understand why they would start :?

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 7:47 am

ryan93 wrote:
I will never smoke tobacco. I can understand why people use it, I don't understand why they would start :?

For myself, I was simply curious ... and then I liked the initial effect. Fortunately, however, I was also 27 years old at the time. I have since heard smoking is worst for people during their growth years ... but now I do have a small (9 mm) "spot" on one lung.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 7:49 am

fair enough. By "spot" you don't mean malignant/pre-malignant tissue do you?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 8:08 am

ryan93 wrote:

Yes, I think so. I will be having a CAT Scan done one week from today, and I have been told that "spot" will be watched regularly after that.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 8:15 am

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it turns out to be benign. I really hope the CAT scan results come out clear for you

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 8:27 am

leejosepho wrote:
ryan93 wrote:

Yes, I think so. I will be having a CAT Scan done one week from today, and I have been told that "spot" will be watched regularly after that.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious, or never progresses. Best wishes to you.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 8:30 am

I tried a few cigarettes and cigars when I was 18. I never got it (thank God). It didn't do anything for me so I stuck with drinking ;)

I find smoking really abhorrent, to be honest. I can smell it from very very far away. And when people light up in front of me it makes me wanna scream at them. I really can't stand it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 8:35 am

Kaybee wrote:
I hope it turns out to be nothing serious, or never progresses. Best wishes to you.

A big "I thank you!" to you and to Ryan.

I am not terribly worried, but only time will really tell. I had a benign swollen lymph node removed in the late '70s, and I have recently learned my prostate swelling is benign. So unless this "spot" is both malignant and fast-growing, which I doubt, my lungs will survive proportionately with the rest of this body!

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2011, 8:36 am

I smoke, and have been smoking since I was 15 (not peer pressure). I mainly do it to relax and take a break from whatever i'm doing... However I never smoke in cars, while driving etc.. Smoker cars are the worst, they really just stink of old ashtrays all the time and the smell is so incredibly hard to get out.

i've smoked hash as well, but mainly in order to fall asleep. I've been on sleeping pills, which just mess up my sleep cycle completely, while a good joint gives me a more natural sleep and doesn't make me wake up all groggy and dozy the next morning.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 8:36 am

happymusic wrote:
Nah, not my thing but I can see why people do it. Once I went on a trip with a bunch of relatives who were all chain smokers and nearly died of liquid building up in my lungs (asthma complications), so I steer clear but I see no reason for others not to enjoy themselves if they want. And though I find it disgusting I don't ever encourage people to quit. Life is so fast.

My grandmother died of lung cancer 1 month before I was born. Completely caused by smoking. She was only 56 years old. My mom was 26. The fact that her mother could never meet her granddaughter (me) caused my mom a great deal of pain. Never mind that she had to lose her mother at a young age.

Now both of my brothers smoke. My mom asks them to please try and quit, my brothers fully knowing about my mom's mom. But they can't cuz they are addicted, I guess.

You don't wanna encourage the people you care about not to die? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 8:46 am

leejosepho wrote:
Kaybee wrote:
I hope it turns out to be nothing serious, or never progresses. Best wishes to you.

A big "I thank you!" to you and to Ryan.

I am not terribly worried, but only time will really tell. I had a benign swollen lymph node removed in the late '70s, and I have recently learned my prostate swelling is benign. So unless this "spot" is both malignant and fast-growing, which I doubt, my lungs will survive proportionately with the rest of this body!

I'm glad to hear it. ^_^ I hope this is the case.

Kiseki wrote:
You don't wanna encourage the people you care about not to die? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Everyone dies. It would pain me greatly for my loved ones to die. But I still respect that it is their right to decide what to do to their bodies. And if the things they do to their bodies hasten their deaths, but make their time on Earth more pleasant for them, I cannot begrudge them this. How selfish of me that would be.

Moog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jan 2011, 8:49 am

I think encouragement is fine. It can just come off as needling, or pushy. It's not like smokers don't know it's not good for them. I used to needle my dad about it, but I guess people have to be able to make their own decisions.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 9:25 am

FWIW, I quit 5 months ago.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2011, 9:36 am

I've never smoked in my life but I have nothing against people who do. It's their health.

Second hand smoke is irritating but I don't really have to deal with it much anymore (thanks to smoking being banned in a lot of places like shopping centres, pubs and restaurants)